Thread: Buying a vehicle with no title....

Buying a vehicle with no title....

How does one get a title and make it road worthy?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Here's some advice:

DO NOT buy a car without a title.

why not?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Unregistered
    you can't register a vehicle without one ...

meaning you can't prove proper ownership of the vehicle, thus you can't register it in your name.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    The title comes with the sales receipt. If it's a gift, you can get on from Albany after filling out a mountain of paperwork.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Unregistered
    Save yourself the trouble and INSIST the seller provide you with a clean title.

Doesn't anyone watch The People's Court?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin View Post
    Save yourself the trouble and INSIST the seller provide you with a clean title.

Doesn't anyone watch The People's Court?
    EXACTLY!!!!

You're open yourself to a world of misery if you want to put the car on the road!

It's a recipe for disaster to buy a vehicle without the title. Vintage motorcycles are different.

At a minimum you'll be required to establish title in NYS. Expect this to cost at least $500-$1000.

Here's an example that is similar to your situation:

About 10 years ago my sister GAVE me a car she owned with a reconstructed title from Pennsyltucky. This means the vehicle was totaled at some point and fully rebuilt. It was an excellent car - needed absolutely nothing and ran like a top. NYS refused to transfer the title unless the car was torn apart and the VIN number on every part matched against the Pennsyltucky title. It would have cost close to $2,000 to have it certified. When the transfer tag expired I sent a perfectly good car to the junkyard because it wasn't worth the hassle to deal with the title issue.

Don't come back here a few months later complaining that you can't get a NYS registration or insurance on the vehicle. You've been warned.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    It's a recipe for disaster to buy a vehicle without the title. Vintage motorcycles are different.

At a minimum you'll be required to establish title in NYS. Expect this to cost at least $500-$1000.

Here's an example that is similar to your situation:

About 10 years ago my sister GAVE me a car she owned with a reconstructed title from Pennsyltucky. This means the vehicle was totaled at some point and fully rebuilt. It was an excellent car - needed absolutely nothing and ran like a top. NYS refused to transfer the title unless the car was torn apart and the VIN number on every part matched against the Pennsyltucky title. It would have cost close to $2,000 to have it certified. When the transfer tag expired I sent a perfectly good car to the junkyard because it wasn't worth the hassle to deal with the title issue.

Don't come back here a few months later complaining that you can't get a NYS registration or insurance on the vehicle. You've been warned.
    Very similar situation Nick.....

Years ago a buddy of mine owned a '72 Monte. He found a twin down south that was junked but the body wasn't bad at all. So he pulled the interior, transmission + engine out of his and put it in the junked one.

He restored the entire thing, it was beautiful. When he went to put it on the road something similar happened and he couldn't do it. So we popped the VIN off the scrapped one and "re-registered" that one!

Thread Information