Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meegan, Hart and Hanley Changing Town Board Meeting Policy

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Vamp, there's no recall provision in NYS law. Might require a constitutional amendment to enact one. Where's nogods the esq. when we need him? But there are recall votes all the time. They're called elections.
    We shouldn't have to wait out a 2, 4 or 6 year term to fire a politician. A lot of damage can be done in that amount of time.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by SOMETHING SMELLS View Post
    New policy tonight at Town Board Meeting. Third change in last three meetings. 3 minute time limit for taxpayers in town to address town board. Town Atty. has the responsibility of monitoring the time. After his sand timer expires he rings a bell. Town Atty. Fenz earning his $50,000 salary. Next town meeting I expect to see a gong for Fenz to strike to let the public. know their time is up. The West Seneca Town Board. Meetings are imitating the Gong Show and making a mockery of what has been a policy for 15 years of allowing the public to question the Board.
    Has any of these changes been voted on by the town board in an open meeting?

Town Law § 63

The supervisor, when present, shall preside at the meetings of the town board. In the absence of the supervisor, the other members shall designate one of their members to act as temporary chairman. A majority of the board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, but a lesser number may adjourn. The vote upon every question shall be taken by ayes and noes, and the names of the members present and their votes shall be entered in the minutes. Every act, motion or resolution shall require for its adoption the affirmative vote of a majority of all the members of the town board. The board may determine the rules of its procedure, and the supervisor may, from time to time, appoint one or more committees, consisting of members of the board, to aid and assist the board in the performance of its duties.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Has any of these changes been voted on by the town board in an open meeting?

Town Law § 63
    Isn't that part of NYS town law?

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/TWN/4/63

Georgia L Schlager

Yes it is.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Vamp, there's no recall provision in NYS law. Might require a constitutional amendment to enact one. Where's nogods the esq. when we need him? But there are recall votes all the time. They're called elections.
    I'm in favor of allowing recall petitions just as long as the minimum required signatures is more than 50% of the votes cast in the last election - otherwise it is just losers whining about not being winners.

I don't believe there is any requirement for public speaking or comment at town board meetings. The original concept of a town board meeting was for the town board to transact business in front of the public, not for the public to interact with the town board. Too often, public comment periods are used by the public to whine or make political statements or address matters that are extraneous to the purposes of the meeting. Town board hearings should be held to allow public comment on matters deemed appropriate for public comment, and the public is always able to summit comments directly to each member of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm in favor of allowing recall petitions just as long as the minimum required signatures is more than 50% of the votes cast in the last election - otherwise it is just losers whining about not being winners.
    I would limit it to more than 50% of those who voted in that last election. If you didn't vote in it you should not have a voice in whether or not the elected person should be recalled.

I don't believe there is any requirement for public speaking or comment at town board meetings. The original concept of a town board meeting was for the town board to transact business in front of the public, not for the public to interact with the town board. Too often, public comment periods are used by the public to whine or make political statements or address matters that are extraneous to the purposes of the meeting. Town board hearings should be held to allow public comment on matters deemed appropriate for public comment, and the public is always able to summit comments directly to each member of the board.
    True. While there is no requirement for public speaking/comment in order to change the status quo they must vote as a body and in a properly called public meeting to change it and be held accountable come election time for their position.

Denying people the right to petition because they didn't vote at the last election is almost certainly unconstitutional because it discriminates against a host of voters, eg, new residents, those who just reached voting age, those who were ill or unable to vote etc. Was the right of the public to speak approved by a vote of a majority of the board? If not it wasn't properly enacted and can be ignored at will.

Why not just pass a law that poor losers and whiners can't vote? Oh wait...that would eliminate just about every poster on SUWNY.

Besides as I read the original post on this thread 3 of the 5 decided to change the rule. Isn't that a majority?

Besides as I read the original post on this thread 3 of the 5 decided to change the rule. Isn't that a majority?
    I suggest you re-read it then because that is impossible - West Seneca has only two Town Board Members and a Supervisor. Also when did this vote occur and where is it reflected in the minutes of the Town Board meetings?
    Last edited by dtwarren; May 19th, 2015 at 08:56 AM.

Denying people the right to petition because they didn't vote at the last election is almost certainly unconstitutional because it discriminates against a host of voters, eg, new residents, those who just reached voting age, those who were ill or unable to vote etc.
    What constitutional provision do you contend it would violate?

What constitutional provision do you contend it would violate?
    Due process and equal protection for starters. I forgot; poor West Seneca submitted to the idiot whims of Gaughanism and reduced the board to three. I reiterate, the very first post starting this thread said that 3 board members acted to change the policy. Not only is that a majority it's a unanimous majority so I'm unsure what your point is. I don't know what was recorded in the minutes and when. Look it up if you need to know. I look forward to the election that you hold where you get to choose who among the legally registered voters are allowed to vote and those who aren't.

Why not just pass a law that poor losers and whiners can't vote? Oh wait...that would eliminate just about every poster on SUWNY.
    Just the straight line dem voters.

Due process and equal protection for starters. I forgot; poor West Seneca submitted to the idiot whims of Gaughanism and reduced the board to three. I reiterate, the very first post starting this thread said that 3 board members acted to change the policy. Not only is that a majority it's a unanimous majority so I'm unsure what your point is. I don't know what was recorded in the minutes and when. Look it up if you need to know. I look forward to the election that you hold where you get to choose who among the legally registered voters are allowed to vote and those who aren't.
    I believe you have a very short attention span and reading impediment. Nogods and I were discussing what requirements we would like to see in a recall petition. Neither of us said that the vote on a recall election should be limited to one class or another.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I would limit it to more than 50% of those who voted in that last election. If you didn't vote in it you should not have a voice in whether or not the elected person should be recalled.

I believe you have a very short attention span and reading impediment. Nogods and I were discussing what requirements we would like to see in a recall petition. Neither of us said that the vote on a recall election should be limited to one class or another.
    And you and nogods think you can limit the ability of registered voters to participate in a petition of interest to all voters in a town? Ha,ha, hee, hee, ho, ho! I'm cracking up with laughter! Ha, ha, hee, hee, ho, ho, you guys slay me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information