Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Religious states have more Teen Mom's- this thread could get UGLY

Why isn't NY or CA listed? Do that not have teen pregnancies?
    Top 10 states with highest teen birth rates:
    Oh! these are term pregnancies as opposed to aborted pregnancies!
    Perhaps it isn't the rate of teen pregnancy so much as it is the rate of teens making the choice not to abort and either raise the baby themselves or put the baby up for adoption. Therefore making the numbers look derogatory in the author's eyes.
    Morally, these young women chose to keep and nurture their pregnancies rather that abort them.
    This is a bad thing?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    Why isn't NY or CA listed? Do that not have teen pregnancies?

Perhaps it isn't the rate of teen pregnancy so much as it is the rate of teens making the choice not to abort and either raise the baby themselves or put the baby up for adoption. Therefore making the numbers look derogatory in the author's eyes.
    Morally, these young women chose to keep and nurture their pregnancies rather that abort them.
    This is a bad thing?
    mesue i don't know, i think it has more to do with birth control. These girls aren't being educated about safe sex. Like i said before the pregnancies aren't what scare me, it's the std factor if they aren't using condoms.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    mesue i don't know, i think it has more to do with birth control. These girls aren't being educated about safe sex. Like i said before the pregnancies aren't what scare me, it's the std factor if they aren't using condoms.
    Yes, abortion is used as a form of birth control.
    As to the rest of your uneducated and stereotypical response ... really? Do you really think lack of sex education is relegated to the "religious"?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Yes, abortion is used as a form of birth control.
    As to the rest of your uneducated and stereotypical response ... really? Do you really think lack of sex education is relegated to the "religious"?
    Plenty of girls who come from wholesome religious households have abortions.

Like I said the scary part is them sleeping around with out condoms. Pregnancy last for 9 months, the hiv is for life.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Plenty of girls who come from wholesome religious households have abortions.

Like I said the scary part is them sleeping around with out condoms. Pregnancy last for 9 months, the hiv is for life.
    And plenty of girls who come from wholesome non-religious backgrounds have abortions as well. There are plenty of "good" people that deny the existence of God. There are plenty of girls that contact STDs, including HIV, because we had a POTUSA essentially say that eatin' ain't cheatin'. IOW they are convinced that oral sex is not sex and therefore requires no protection. I get the 3rd eyed look from some my students when I instruct them that we need to teach our patients to protect themselves in all mucus membranes. My students come from all walks of life. Therfore "the teacher has a 3rd eye" look just doesn't come from my "religious" students.
    My whole take on this article is that it was not written to show the education deficit of our American teens as much as it was written to be derogatory against Bible believers. Don't believe me? Substitute the phrase religious people for black people.
    The facts are kinda' skrewed up in this article.
    The relationship could be due to the fact that communities with such religious beliefs (a literal interpretation of the Bible, for instance) may frown upon contraception, researchers say. If that same culture isn't successfully discouraging teen sex, the pregnancy and birth rates rise.
    I attend a Bible believing church and that is not what we teach. There is nothing in the Bible about birth control, in and of itself. Feel free to correct me with a Book, Chapter and Verse from the KJV if you feel I am wrong. There are teachings in the Bible about conception and killing. Therefore we teach that abortions are killing babies. But nothing about actually taking measure to prevent conception.
    I have attended Roman Catholic Churches and the above is what they teach. They teach only natural family planning as a means for birth control. Birth control is not allowed in the RCC. You cannot get your tubes tied in any hospital in the Catholic Health System because this is a form of birth control and this is not allowed.
    Even Bill Cosby said "The Pope says you gotta' do it." (It was on one of his albums when I was a kid)
    Last edited by mesue; September 18th, 2009 at 07:37 AM.

It'd be nice if you actually read the article:

They found a strong correlation between statewide conservative religiousness and statewide teen birth rate even when they accounted for income and abortion rates
    (and you knock others for lack of reading comprehension skills)
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

And plenty of girls who come from wholesome non-religious backgrounds have abortions as well. There are plenty of "good" people that deny the existence of God. There are plenty of girls that contact STDs, including HIV, because we had a POTUSA essentially say that eatin' ain't cheatin'. IOW they are convinced that oral sex is not sex and therefore requires no protection. I get the 3rd eyed look from some my students when I instruct them that we need to teach our patients to protect themselves in all mucus membranes. My students come from all walks of life. Therfore "the teacher has a 3rd eye" look just doesn't come from my "religious" students.
    My whole take on this article is that it was not written to show the education deficit of our American teens as much as it was written to be derogatory against Bible believers. Don't believe me? Substitute the phrase religious people for black people.
    The facts are kinda' skrewed up in this article.

I attend a Bible believing church and that is not what we teach. There is nothing in the Bible about birth control, in and of itself. Feel free to correct me with a Book, Chapter and Verse from the KJV if you feel I am wrong. There are teachings in the Bible about conception and killing. Therefore we teach that abortions are killing babies. But nothing about actually taking measure to prevent conception.
    I have attended Roman Catholic Churches and the above is what they teach. They teach only natural family planning as a means for birth control. Birth control is not allowed in the RCC. You cannot get your tubes tied in any hospital in the Catholic Health System because this is a form of birth control and this is not allowed.
    Even Bill Cosby said "The Pope says you gotta' do it." (It was on one of his albums when I was a kid)
    I know that the church teaches against BC so does evangalicals.

You are right they need to teach oral sex gives stds too. I do agree with you there. They showed us pictures of what stds look like all over the body when i was a junior in hs. Problem is they showed us at 16 instead of 11. They should be showing it to kids starting in 6th grade and do it every year.

My thought when I was reading this is encouraging abstinence doesn't work. Teens are still doing it
    How many of the people teaching abstinence have had sex before they were an adult?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    How many of the people teaching abstinence have had sex before they were an adult?
    Probably most.. I think abstinence should be taught in junior high with a scared straight approach. However high schoolers should be taught about birth control options. Although I don't think the pill or any hormonal treatments should be encouraged. Too many side effects short term and long term. A friend sent me a text about a girl she knows who is 22 and had a stroke because she was on birth control. I have also heard about a 19 year old (my parent's friend's daughter) who had a heart attack.

Probably most.. I think abstinence should be taught in junior high with a scared straight approach. However high schoolers should be taught about birth control options. Although I don't think the pill or any hormonal treatments should be encouraged. Too many side effects short term and long term. A friend sent me a text about a girl she knows who is 22 and had a stroke because she was on birth control. I have also heard about a 19 year old (my parent's friend's daughter) who had a heart attack.
    Sex Ed should be taught at home! Keep it out of the schools! Bad parenting is the #1 problem with teens getting knocked up, IMO.
    Ive said this before, but as soon as my pops knew I was sexualy active he didnt try to scare me with diseases and such. He knew I was aware. He simply told me to keep away from the "dirty" girls and often said "dont be a dummy put it on her tummy". These 2 "rules" have always worked for me. Sex is not scary or gross. It is actually enjoyable and beutiful! I will choose not to lie to my teens about sex. (such as the AIDS scare tactic) Maybe it will work, maybe not. But at least my kid learned about it from me and not some stranger, teaching a class. Religion will play no role in it.
    Mark Twain:
    Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned
    Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLBAGS View Post
    Sex Ed should be taught at home! Keep it out of the schools! Bad parenting is the #1 problem with teens getting knocked up, IMO.
    Ive said this before, but as soon as my pops knew I was sexualy active he didnt try to scare me with diseases and such. He knew I was aware. He simply told me to keep away from the "dirty" girls and often said "dont be a dummy put it on her tummy". These 2 "rules" have always worked for me. Sex is not scary or gross. It is actually enjoyable and beutiful! I will choose not to lie to my teens about sex. (such as the AIDS scare tactic) Maybe it will work, maybe not. But at least my kid learned about it from me and not some stranger, teaching a class. Religion will play no role in it.
    I agree parents should be the ones giving sex education to their kids. Unfortunately many don't.

Young women from moral (religious) states are more likely to bring their pregnancy to term. Therefore the women from these states would have a higher rate of teens giving birth. Isn't this just plain common sense? Is anyone surprised by these results? Not me!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Young women from moral (religious) states are more likely to bring their pregnancy to term. Therefore the women from these states would have a higher rate of teens giving birth. Isn't this just plain common sense? Is anyone surprised by these results? Not me!
    Isn't it your Stepford/Stockholm wife who continues to complain about people who can't read? The article talks about accounting for this, and I talked about the article accounting for this. The upshot: the study accounted for this, and 'religious' states still have a higher rate.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Isn't it your Stepford/Stockholm wife who continues to complain about people who can't read? The article talks about accounting for this, and I talked about the article accounting for this. The upshot: the study accounted for this, and 'religious' states still have a higher rate.
    So I am right, it's because they aren't being educated about protection. Which means on top of having babies they probably have higher rates of stds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information