Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
Well, time will tell. Teacher education programs have an all time low enrollment. While I don't feel particularly underpaid (because I have rental property to supplement my income and live in a building with tenants), I also don't feel that I am paid "market" value. I would take any one of the suburban contracts. Buffalo teachers have an unarguably more difficult job than their suburban peers (although that is changing in the 1st ring suburbs) but are the lowest paid (including benefits) among any one of these districts.

While a master's degree is not "necessary" to teach kindergarten, advanced coursework that forces individuals to consider complex problems may enhance their cognitive development so that they can better manage the complex classroom dynamics.

Personally, I have considered a switch back to engineering (Solar City will likely be hiring) so you may begin to see a departure from teaching. I still love the teaching aspect, it's everything else that has nothing to do with education or student achievement (bs evaluations, extra paperwork for pseudo-accountability, etc.) that is beginning to wear on me. Additionally, I am making far less (including benefits) than my present job, even though I enjoyed this job far more until recently.
No question that some teachers in some districts have it very difficult.. If you teach in the city then that indeed would suck in my opinion as you are expected to be the parent as well as teacher. Too many people are reproducing that should not Rich and poor. Everthing is a trade off. I tell my kids to earn a paycheck but don't let it be a reward.