Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo teacher pay would rise by 11.8% in proposed accord

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I think I heard a contract hasn't been renewed in years. Apparently the people who run the Union are not giving their members the service they are paying for.
    Unlike industrial, or trade unions ...the Taylor Law ties the hands of the union... where work stoppages/strikes are illegal for public employees.

If the union fees are deducted out of their paychecks and they can not stop that it isn't their own free will.
    By law they can stop it. It is a no brainer. A non-union member only has to pay the "union fee". The employer has to respect the employees choice.

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Unlike industrial, or trade unions ...the Taylor Law ties the hands of the union... where work stoppages/strikes are illegal for public employees.
    If the BTF went on strike how would anyone be able to tell? Little of what they do would be recognized as teaching anywhere but in Buffalo and most of the little children don't come to school on any given day anyhow. And by the way, if it hadn't been for the "greedy politicians" who entrenched the monopoly power of unions in law unions wouldn't have the powers of legalized extortion they possess today.

$64 a month X 12 = $768 dollars a year. Over 25 years you could have had $19,200 more to spend or saved not counting compounded interest you could have earned.

If you live in Cheektowaga and invested that into patio Flamingos you could have ($19,200 / $29.98) X 10 Flamingo's per pack = 6,404 Flamingos.

I like the Flamingo analogy.

Look, I'm not a huge union guy. I think though that they do still have a place today in some areas. You are assuming I didn't get my moneys worth (6 years) out of the union dues in wages and benefits. I think I did.

Just throwing this out there. Pay freeze was for three years. So right now my salary is $5000 less than what I was promised when I was hired. The 11.8% would increase my salary by $6000. If this contract were to pass, I would pay an additional $1500 for health insurance. Thus I would be taking a pay cut. It's not really a raise, it would be the restoration of the cuts imposed by the wage freeze with a small pay cut.

Buffalo teacher pay would rise by 11.8% in proposed accord

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/buff...ccord-20141219

Other than "time served" what justification is there for a pay raise?

Here is a pay raise that would cost no one anything.

Stop the automatic taking of a teachers paycheck by the teachers union. Does anyone know what the deduction is per pay period? If a teacher is earning $75,000 and their base pay is $50,000 how much of the $50,000 goes to the Union each year?

I'm sure the well qualified people who work at the union head quarters can easily find positions in the private sector.
    What was the average increase in wages for the population at large at that time?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    What was the average increase in wages for the population at large at that time?
    Some people did get a wage increase but quite a few did not. We also have to factor in inflation. Does the dollar buy more or less hard goods over the last 10 years?

In 2004 the minimum wage was 5.15/hr in 2013 it is 7.25/hr. That's a 40% increase. Presumably the greatest number of Americans work at this wage.

Incorrect in my statement. Most workers are not at minimum wage.

Increase in public servant pay when real incomes in the US for the Average American have gone down, Obviously it depends on the demographic. You can't continue to have this trajectory. We saw this in 07-08 when home prices were appreciating 20% per year and wage growth was stagnant. The end result of this disconnect is either Bankruptcy and or borrowing...both are bad.

You can't get a further disconnect from reality by public sector unions and government..They simply cannot compute balance sheets.

We have seen this play out in broke municipalities all over the US.

Eventually in the US we will just be paying for two things.

Interest on Debt and Entitlements....hardly the formula for sound fiscal policy.
    Last edited by Save Us; December 26th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.

Buffalo teacher pay would rise by 11.8% in proposed accord

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/buff...ccord-20141219

Other than "time served" what justification is there for a pay raise?

Here is a pay raise that would cost no one anything.

Stop the automatic taking of a teachers paycheck by the teachers union. Does anyone know what the deduction is per pay period? If a teacher is earning $75,000 and their base pay is $50,000 how much of the $50,000 goes to the Union each year?

I'm sure the well qualified people who work at the union head quarters can easily find positions in the private sector.
    Teachers do NOT get overtime. If teachers do extra work like coaching a sport or advising a club or teaching summer school, they get a set amount for that particular task added to their base pay and is either included in their contract or is an additional contract, but a teacher who signs up to teach 9-12 biology for $50k and to advise the Ecology Club for $6k will get $56k ... and that's it.

FYI, Buffalo Teachers Federation members have NOT had a raise in ten years, so 11.8% raise is 1.18% a year and that is NOT compounded retroactively, so it's a pretty paltry 1.18% per year that's NOT compounded into their base pay, and it's a good deal for the schools.

Union dues are based on a % of pay. I have no idea what the BTF dues are. More importantly, who the hell are you to decide whether teachers or any group of workers should or should NOT be represented by a union? It's their choice.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Increase in public servant pay when real incomes in the US for the Average American have gone down, Obviously it depends on the demographic. You can't continue to have this trajectory. We saw this in 07-08 when home prices were appreciating 20% per year and wage growth was stagnant. The end result of this disconnect is either Bankruptcy and or borrowing...both are bad.

You can't get a further disconnect from reality by public sector unions and government..They simply cannot compute balance sheets.

We have seen this play out in broke municipalities all over the US.

Eventually in the US we will just be paying for two things.

Interest on Debt and Entitlements....hardly the formula for sound fiscal policy.
    Perhaps you didn't read carefully. It's not an increase in pay. It's restoration of the initially promised contract with a 3% pay cut. Could you provide evidence that the "real incomes in the US for the Average American have gone down"?

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Perhaps you didn't read carefully. It's not an increase in pay. It's restoration of the initially promised contract with a 3% pay cut. Could you provide evidence that the "real incomes in the US for the Average American have gone down"?
    Lazy teacher
    http://bit.ly/1CNiOrl

Median household income for the most part, has been declining since 2000.

Care to tell us how much you give the union?
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; December 27th, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

The median income in Buffalo in 2000 was $24,536
    In 2012, it was $30,422.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Lazy teacher
    http://bit.ly/1CNiOrl

Median household income for the most part, has been declining since 2000.

Care to tell us how much you give the union?
    ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The median income in Buffalo in 2000 was $24,536
    In 2012, it was $30,422.
    From the US Census Bureau:
    US median household income in 2000: 42,145
    US median household income in 2013: 53,046

Vampie once again makes up crap to fit his agenda.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information