Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the marine drive apartments exists?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Why do the marine drive apartments exists?

Why do the marine drive apartments exists?

I think it is for people that are on social security and have low incomes. The apartments are old but the people who can't afford any high rents can afford to live there.

low income ssd & ssi i think disabled also.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There is welfare for rent assistance. What is different about the people in those apartments versus anyone else who recieves assistance to rent an apartment in the city or any where?

Why do the apartments exists? How many are there?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    low income ssd & ssi i think disabled also.
    Disabled I can see without an issue. So like everyone at the marine drive apartments is disabled? I didn't realize that. Why on earth would you building a housing developement like that in that spot in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    There is welfare for rent assistance. What is different about the people in those apartments versus anyone else who recieves assistance to rent an apartment in the city or any where?

Why do the apartments exists? How many are there?
    I don't know what you mean. Most of aunties friends there are older people mostly women but I think its because they have a lot in common. There are families and kids but they seem to be mostly minoritys. It really seems like a nice but very old place with a lot of people that are poor or have very low incomes. There also seems to be a lot of apartments there I think there are five buildings and the elevators go to the 12 floors and there are a lot of cars in the parking lot and around the street.

Disabled I can see without an issue. So like everyone at the marine drive apartments is disabled? I didn't realize that. Why on earth would you building a housing developement like that in that spot in the first place?
    building it who knows half as backward as always. disabled yes... for the other people working the system?

Long story short

City built towers financed through State Dormitory Authority, which sold bonds. The towers were for low-moderate income people, must stay that way until bonds have been paid off. They were paid off during Masiello. Developers showed interest, purchase price for all was about $22 mil. Bishop Mansell wanted to buy one for retired nuns. There has been talk of changing things but it's a political football with no council support.

It was a haven for politically connected individuals under Griffin to get units but that has largeky changed. BTW, there are police officers, judges and other connected people that currently live there.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Will Kearn stop that? so just people who really should live there worse case do?

Will Kearn stop that? so just people who really should live there worse case do?
    It really isn't a front burner issue but I suppose he will not seek the ouster but will probably ensure that the rules are strictly followed.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    Long story short

City built towers financed through State Dormitory Authority, which sold bonds. The towers were for low-moderate income people, must stay that way until bonds have been paid off. They were paid off during Masiello. Developers showed interest, purchase price for all was about $22 mil. Bishop Mansell wanted to buy one for retired nuns. There has been talk of changing things but it's a political football with no council support.

It was a haven for politically connected individuals under Griffin to get units but that has largeky changed. BTW, there are police officers, judges and other connected people that currently live there.
    so they also are working the system! big pensions low$$ housing a joke!!

I am so happy to hear these can be sold...at some point.

I was under the impression that because they were built with bond money, they always had to stay public so to speak.

I say the keep these up until a day comes where a developer wants to demo and build. The land that these sit on is 4-5 city blocks at the foot of the massively funded and even more underwhelming inner harbor.

For the residents, it would be very easy to find another location that has less potential.

Almost the same deal @ the foot of Hertel where they have those 3 tall housing towers (don't know the name ?)......2 of the buildings are supposed to be market priced ? , 1 is for people on disability etc. My father-in-law was in the disabled one (had no exterior balconies) & his rent was based on his SS1 check , but his view was pretty awesome , the river , Canada , etc.
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    Almost the same deal @ the foot of Hertel where they have those 3 tall housing towers (don't know the name ?)......2 of the buildings are supposed to be market priced ? , 1 is for people on disability etc. My father-in-law was in the disabled one (had no exterior balconies) & his rent was based on his SS1 check , but his view was pretty awesome , the river , Canada , etc.

Now would he have minded being in any apartment or was the location what made it important to him?

I'm still surprized why they would build the apartments in an area that could have be something on the water front. BUT you know what? WTF cares water front or not? THe WHOLE lake is water front. What makes the water front where the marine apartments are any worse/better than any where else on the lake?

I'm still surprized why they would build the apartments in an area that could have be something on the water front. BUT you know what? WTF cares water front or not? THe WHOLE lake is water front. What makes the water front where the marine apartments are any worse/better than any where else on the lake?
    Don't forget the timeframe of when they were built. The waterfront was more industrial back then... not exactly the "prime" real estate it has become today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information