Thread: Reese - Amatura race in Buffalo News Today

Reese - Amatura race in Buffalo News Today

Click HERE for the Buffalo News article.

Campaign for Lancaster highway superintendent is low-key
    By Mary Pasciak
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: September 10, 2009, 7:53 AM /

On the face of it, the race for highway superintendent in Lancaster is so ordinary it’s almost boring.

Both candidates seeking the Democratic line say they have more experience. Both vow to shun patronage and hire only the best-qualified candidates.

And both are careful not to make too much of the fact that the incumbent hasn’t been to work since April.

That’s when Richard L. Reese Jr. agreed not to report to work as a condition of his bail, which stems from charges that he assaulted FBI agents who came to his house to question him about money that town crews collected for scrap metal they picked up throughout town.

Reese turned over more than $2,000 to the agents; no charges were filed regarding the use of town funds. His assault case is pending in federal court. He has continued to receive a paycheck since April.

Neither Reese nor his challenger, Councilman Daniel J. Amatura, says Reese’s legal situation should be the focus of the race.

Reese, 57, believes the charges will be dropped; he was distraught over his wife’s recent death at the time, he said, and he did not actually assault any agents. He’s asking residents to vote based on how well he’s done his job so far.

“If the people have been satisfied with what’s been done over past 12 years, I’d really appreciate the chance to continue on and serve for them again,” said Reese, who has a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.

He says he’s a hands-on highway superintendent who makes sure the roads are plowed and repaired promptly.

“I’m not afraid to do the work,” he said. “I’m a problem-solver.”

Reese, the president of the Bowmansville Volunteer Fire Association, says he has gotten a warm reception from residents as he campaigns door to door.

Amatura acknowledges he gets plenty of questions from voters about Reese’s legal situation but tells them that he doesn’t know any more about it than he reads in the paper.

“I have to run on my qualifications, not on whether he has a problem,” Amatura said.

The owner of Frank’s Grille, Amatura has been a town councilman for six years. Prior to that, he spent 30 years in construction, most of it in heavy highway construction, he said.

He started as a laborer and worked his way up to become a foreman and eventually a project manager, working on projects that included Millersport Highway and the I-190.

“I believe I have lot more experience than Richard does, especially with road construction and infrastructure work,” said Amatura, 61, who has an associate’s degree.

As a councilman, he said, he helped changed the specifications for road construction in Lancaster to ensure there’s more stone and more blacktop on the roads, so that they last longer.

Amatura is endorsed by the Lancaster Democratic Committee, as well as the town’s Conservative and Independence parties.

Question,

Is Armatura saying he is responsible for paving streets? When did he do that? And who is responsible for paving (if you want to call it that) Cemetery Road? Stripes of blacktop, did they run out?

What a stupid article.

Quote Originally Posted by wreeves View Post
    Click HERE for the Buffalo News article.

Campaign for Lancaster highway superintendent is low-key
    By Mary Pasciak
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: September 10, 2009, 7:53 AM /

“I believe I have lot more experience than Richard does, especially with road construction and infrastructure work,” said Amatura, 61, who has an associate’s degree.

As a councilman, he said, he helped changed the specifications for road construction in Lancaster to ensure there’s more stone and more blacktop on the roads, so that they last longer.

Amatura is endorsed by the Lancaster Democratic Committee, as well as the town’s Conservative and Independence parties.
    I do not understand "how" Dan has more experience than Richard does. He has an Associates degree, big deal.

Now let me get this straight...

Danny Armatura owns one or two restaurants~~and does he have other activites too?

Well where in the world will he have time to be Highway Boss? For God's sake, I want the highway to be top priority. Will D. Armatura make that a top priority? Probably not.

That's why Reese with this being his top priority, will continue to make sure the town is number one.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Danny Armatura owns one or two restaurants~~and does he have other activites too?

Well where in the world will he have time to be Highway Boss? For God's sake, I want the highway to be top priority. Will D. Armatura make that a top priority? Probably not.

That's why Reese with this being his top priority, will continue to make sure the town is number one.
    Exactly right shortstuff. Dan will make Frank's his priority, not the highway job. We need someone hands on & full time, not part time. I am voting for Richard Reese.

Lightbulb Typical - Lancaster Town Democrats still no legal paperwork!!!!!!

The Bufnews slapped Mr.Reese then played down the importance of the primary day vote.

Every vote counts = Democrats Please vote
    - Retain Richard Reese primary day.

They are making it sound almost boring - this way people don't pay much attention to it. Notice they had to try and trash on Rich.

Mr.Amatura played it well also - "I don't know nothin"
    or was that his Giza impression?

The two guys(Giza & Amatura) that share equal helpings of blame for the scandalous attack on Mr.Reese - they both assisted in stabbing Mr.Latello with the McCracken deal.

They sit back and play dumb - if Mr.Amatura would have answered any other way - the Bufnews could have questioned him more - SLICKNESS!

Well at least Mr.Amatura is consistent - he's running with the help of a "Unknown" group called the "Lancaster Town Democrats" - at a address thats not registered with NYS or Erie County as belonging to any such group!

Even Supervisor Giza doesn't have his sign on his lawn - the Lancaster Democratic Committee Headed by Terry McCracken has not claimed those mailers as theirs either.

One thing for certain - he had no money or election reports, just prior to that fact being posted here, around the third of the month -

Now all of a sudden Mr.Amatura has over $15,000.00 from people who have or want to do tax funded deals or developers looking for his project approvals.

Click here to see for yourself Erie County Official website

Click here to see what info the Board of Elections has on
    "Lancaster Town Democrats"

This is what you'll find:
    No Candidates/Committees whose name was like %LANCASTER TOWN DEMOCRATS% were found using your search criteria. If you are entering a Committee name, try entering a partial name.

Its up to Lancaster's Democratic Voters to get out Primary Day and vote. Richard Reese represents Lancaster's taxpayers - all of us.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

What is the deal with "unitemized" for $4180.00. I also notice many other "no name" donations as well.

Hmmm,

itch I saw that too. Also, D. Armatura is a Republican as town council member, yet he is running as a Democrat for Highway Boss.

Well OK, people just try and follow my simple mind, Danny Armatura is a Republican currently as he is serving as council member~~he is running as a Democrat for Highway Boss~~~how do you do that? I mean is he both parties right now? I am confused. Isn't that called a "conflict of interest?"

I have had an outgoing voice mail message on my home phone since August 2 that clearly states that I am a Lancaster democrat that is not voting for Amatura, Abraham or Ruffino. In addition, I also stated on my message that I did not want to hear any of their (Amatura, Abraham or Ruffino)election BS.
    Today, there is a message from Amatura's get out the vote people. That's harassment.

The phone number of the harasser was 716-481-8745
    Last edited by gorja; September 10th, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added phone number

Georgia L Schlager

Unitemized/Republican Amatura

First I cant so far get a "Honest straight answer" about the omissions in D.Amatura's filing report.

As far as Dan Amatura being a Republican - he is - he is trying to steal the Democratic Endorsement from Lancaster Highway Superintendent Richard Reese.

If he wins the Primary September 15th - then Richard Reese cant run in November.

It doesn't seem right but, this is Lancaster. I think thats part of the reason Supervisor Giza and the actual Lancaster Democratic Committee are laying low. They are letting Mr.Amatura pull the wool over their own Party Members eyes.

I believe they assume most people will skip the primary - average voters usually do. The Committee People and those who want favors(like Town Pay checks) usually vote in primaries.

Speaking of which - Supervisor Giza(D) has a chute trick - the payday before each Election day - he hand delivers the Town workers pay checks - I guess he's just reminding them who signs them! No Political pressure there- - can you say coercion!!!!!!!!!!Bobby can.

The average voter waits to see who their Party Endorses. This is what their hoping for. They aren't being honest about any part of this charade - they stabbed Mr.Reese without any proof of anything other than he is not one of them - he dared stand up to the Party Boss.

As I said before, when Mr.Amatura(aided by Jim Perry & Russell Luke) was seeking the Republican endorsement, he told Republican Committee people he wanted to get Town Attorney Richard Sherwood (D) and then Council member Montour (D) out of office.

Now we find out not only is Sherwood giving him money - they have made some heavy money making deals in Lancaster - not to mention supposedly their related.

This guy will play to any Party - any label or as we have seen - he'll invent one if he has to.

I don't believe Lancaster Democrats actually know what their Committee is doing - I don't believe they know that the Committee is trying to get the Republican Councilman slid in by the back door in order to push Mr.Reese out of the Democratic Endorsement Primary Day!

Thats why we have to call every Democrat friend or relative we have in Lancaster. Ask them,
    Please vote Sept.15 th Primary Day for Mr.Richard Reese Lancaster Democrat for Highway Superintendent. -

Don't let Republican D.Amatura steal the Democratic Endorsement.

Please consider this

The Bufnews is trying to down play this primary - heres a link to the story page: Click here

At the bottom of the articles page - you can comment - Please pass it on.

Thanks
    Every Inform voter increases Mr.Reese chances of winning Sept 15 th Primary Vote.

Amatura a Republican? I think not; at least his Party affiliation as a Town Council Member is Democrat.

As to Mary Pasciak's Buffalo News commentary, had she spoken to a few Lancaster residents she would have learned there is a lot of passion, drama and ill will within this race and that it has spilled over to the residents. Low key? I think not!

4248 implys the Democratic Party may not be directly involved with support mailers for Amatura. Others profess that the Democratic Party leadership and committee members are trying to distance themselves from Amatura because they have come to realize that Reese was unfairly slandered and charged. Others like myself have seen Reese's highway performance over the years and have come to respect his leadership and the man himself.

Reese has done well considering he has had no fundraiser and has done a lot of the campaign footwork himself. Signs don't vote but they sure help when they are so large as to influence voters into believing a candidate is more worthy. It is today's Internet world that could be of great use to Reese. I wonder if he and/or his supporters are considering that. What a way to get the word out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Reese has done well considering he has had no fundraiser and has done a lot of the campaign footwork himself. Signs don't vote but they sure help when they are so large as to influence voters into believing a candidate is more worthy. It is today's Internet world that could be of great use to Reese. I wonder if he and/or his supporters are considering that. What a way to get the word out!
    "Boots on the ground" is going to be the difference in this race. The internet is a great tool for information but it's also a great tool for misinformation.
    If Rich shows up at your door and spends five minutes talking to you (answering questions, etc.) it means a lot to most voters.
    When it's all said and done, it's the candidate that comes across as more deserving that's going to get elected. Richard has done some serious door knocking and his reputation as a good man should carry him well. Now it's just a matter of convincing registered democrats to actually get out and vote in the primary election. Expressing this to all your neighbors and friends through emails and phone conversations is very important.
    Rich needs this win, he's deserves this win. We can all see how Giza and Co. have tried to beat down his will to run at the lowest point of his life. Most people would have just moved on but Rich isn't "most people", he's the type of person who doesn't quit anything that's unfinished, especially on someone elses terms. When he was told that he should collect permanent disability after several back surgeries, he went back to school and became an engineer. His drive to succeed is motivating and inspiring. This is why he's the best choice and hopefully he'll retain his position. It's all in YOUR hands Lancaster voters.

Wally
    VoteRichardReese.com

Our visit with Mr. Reese

We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Reese last night. What a nice down to earth person. I was impressed with the fact that Mr. Reese believes in himself. He is a hardworking person and intends to work hard for the town residents.

I noticed that is was a "no-nonsense" straight shooter kind of person. I like that. Most importantly, he is running to prove that he is innocent and he won't let the Giza & Co. push him under.

What is profound here, is after the death of his dear wife, the town politics tried to crush him. Mr. Reese rose from that and is showing what tough skin he has. His intention is to prove to the people that he is for real.

My vote goes to Mr. Reese, I hope he wins. Good Luck. Lancaster~~vote for integrety and kind spirit with a hard working ethics.

Thread Information