Thread: Is it Feasible on ANY Level to Continue going to The Ralph?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is it Feasible on ANY Level to Continue going to The Ralph?

by Pat Freeman

The recent storm that fell on Western New York once again highlighted the futility of our current stadium in Orchard Park, and why I have contended that not another dime of taxpayer funds should have gone into its renovation. This cosmetic waste of money which was forced down the pocket books of Western New Yorkers was unable to be ready not only for a home game, but it was a multi-use dome stadium in downtown Detroit they were forced to relocate in order to play their divisional rival New York Jets. Below is a look at the Detroit Lions advertisement for renting space at Ford Field in Downtown Detroit. Read More...

www.thebuffalobullet.com

Rome is burning!

If Western New York is truly going to experience an economic rebirth of this region that is inclusive of every one of its citizens, then this negative mind-set on new ideas must change immediately.
    I haven't seen anyone who is opposed to to a new stadium, just those cognitive of who's going to pay for it. In fact, the "new idea" that you mention would be to let the Bills, The NFL and Terry Pegula stand on their own feet. Having the taxpayers foot the bill for stadiums is more of the same old same old contributing to our outrageous tax burden in WNY. Get the footballs out of your ears. Like others around here, your lust for the NFL prevents you from making a rational thought on the subject.
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; November 28th, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Rome is burning!

I haven't seen anyone who is opposed to to a new stadium, just those cognitive of who's going to pay for it. In fact, the "new idea" that you mention would be to let the Bills, The NFL and Terry Pegula stand on their own feet. Having the taxpayers foot the bill for stadiums is more of the same old same old contributing to our outrageous tax burden in WNY. Get the footballs out of your ears. Like others around here, your lust for the NFL prevents you from making a rational thought on the subject.
    right on with this put the stadium where ever pegula wants( good luck if there is a snow storm in the city) he pays and the nfl. not the taxpayers of the city or EC.. Pegula got a 37 million dollar tax break for his castle harbor center. he is no different than any other owner in the nfl you fund it I take the money to the bank.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Yup, a "Ford Field" would fit right in for Buffalo

The Lions lost 113 of the first 160 games they played in Ford Field

The stadium did not result in a development boom around it.

It was built during the tenure of a man Time Magazine designated the worst mayor in America (who ended up in a federal prison)

A decade after it was built, Detroit filed bankruptcy.

Yeah! Let history repeat itself!

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

It was built during the tenure of a man Time Magazine designated the worst mayor in America (who ended up in a federal prison)

Did the moons align or what.. Never thought Id say it but this post is right on!

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

nogods, I don't think it's a given that a team playing in a new stadium has to be cruddy although the Bills record over the last 14 years ain't encouraging. I agree about a stadium being an economic engine; examples of that are indeed few & far between. As for Detroit filing for bankruptcy, everything I've read suggests that that process was years in the making and I've never read anything suggesting Ford Field caused it. Doesn't mean it didn't contribute, just means I haven't seen anything suggesting it. And in any event Buffalo is already in the NYS version of bankruptcy with a control board appointed effectively to run the city. Control boards are the NYS solution to preventing federal bankruptcy filings by NY cities. As for the quality of our mayor...ha, ha, ho, ho...I can't go on!

Its sad to think that the author of this article somehow relates available rental space to economic prosperity. How many Benderson signs do we see around here? Buffalo doesn't have a shortage of available space.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Its sad to think that the author of this article somehow relates available rental space to economic prosperity. How many Benderson signs do we see around here? Buffalo doesn't have a shortage of available space.
    Benderson has apparently figured out how to make money by not renting its properties, because I have seen Benderson property go empty for 5 or more years. How much more in rent has to be collected to make up for 60 months of no rent?

I've despised Benderson since 1987 when he bought out the repair shop I worked for (Maple Transit Auto Repair) and turned it into a strip mall. Business is business, but he put a good man out of business that had been there for years.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Thread Information