Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Abuse at "The Yard"?

Unregistered

Police Abuse at "The Yard"?

This appears to be a dramatic abuse of police power, made more troubling by the police shutting down a peaceful totally "legal" concert in an extremely isolated isolation in Black Rock, as innocent citizens are increasingly victims of gang violence.

Puzzling, apparently no other media have reported this important incident . . . why?

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/08...l#SlideFrame_0

"Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely"

queenseyes August 31, 2009 12:09 AM Comments: 14

For anyone who attended the Silent Exchange electronic music festival at The Yard on Saturday, I am sorry that you had to witness Buffalo's Men in Blue in such a sorry state. As fifty young music fans stood around watching a DJ spin on stage, Buffalo Police filed onto private property and threatened the crowd to disband or pay the consequences. Despite the fact that the proper permits had been filed with City Hall, that would allow the music to go on until 10pm, Buffalo Police would not listen to reason, only resorting to 'police state' tactics as the young music fans looked on in bewilderment .

One of the reasons that The Yard was chosen for the event was that it is widely known that the bandshell at LaSalle Park is next to impossible to book unless you have an 'in' with The City. So that means that the only other alternative when it comes to holding a concert at a permanent outdoor music festival is The Yard. The Yard is not in a residential neighborhood. Nor is it in a commercial neighborhood. It's located in an abandoned industrial area surrounded by nothing and no one. Maybe sometime in the future this might be inhabited by college students, but that's just not the case at this point in time. So how do the police claim that there was a noise complaint, especially since the music could not be heard until you turned the corner of the building and actually saw the stage?

Why did the Buffalo Police Force (D-District) decide to shut down a concert with fifty people in attendance? Nobody seems to know. The organizers had all of their permits in place. When filing for these permits, the organizers duly notified the police jurisdiction, so that the authorities were well aware of the event. There was even a rent a cop at the door checking IDs. It was in broad daylight when a slew of police cars showed up to raid the event and shut it down. Young and old people stood watching in amazement as the police officers got out of their cars with Billy Clubs in their hands demanding that everyone vacate the premise. I've never seen anything like it, and am still mind boggled as to what happened and why.

It is a true travesty to have experienced such blatant intolerance over the weekend. Especially when all that the promoters were trying to do was to shine a positive spotlight on a part of Buffalo that needs a lot of help. What better way to do that than encourage creative young people and social entrepreneurs to help take part in the city's renaissance? There was no out of control crowd, or behavior, that should have prompted a cavalcade of no less than eight police cars to show up when they did.

It should also be noted that this was not the first time that they had checked on the premises. Throughout the day the police continued to pay a visit to The Yard feigning any knowledge that a legitimate show was underway. Each time they arrived they were assured that all of the appropriate measures had been followed and nobody was being bothered. The promoter went out of her way to find a location In Black Rock that would not upset or offend anyone. Wouldn't you think that there would be more pressing issues to be fought by the police rather than breaking up a music festival? If these are the types of pressing matters that the Buffalo Police are combating, then maybe we should be more afraid of their devotion to non-threatening issues, especially when gang violence should be a high priority. Obviously in this case they would rather spend their time harassing the people who are trying to do good things for the city than fight real crime.

The two primary investors in the show, who are based out of Manhattan, throw festivals mostly in cities such as Miami, Los Angeles, and New York. Next month, they are even focusing their efforts on the scene in Brazil. Therefore, Buffalo, was a new experience for them, and one that wouldn't have been on their radar, if not for the tireless work of a local promoter, (who just moved back to Buffalo - welcome back from the Buffalo police force). All three were extremely happy with the Buffalonians who were there to hear the caliber of music that the DJs were spinning.

The cops could not have picked a worse time to start their harassment (is there ever a good time?) And the harassment continued until they got what they came for - locking people inside the gates while locking others out. In talking with the investors, as the police proceeded in closing down the show, they were already writing Buffalo off of their radar, and for good reason in my opinion. Considering how everyone's time and money was just throw away in a matter of minutes, without so much as an explanation, or being given a name of a higher up on the force who could help to handle the situation in the correct manner.

What a shame for the music community of Buffalo, especially when we usually have to take ourselves, and our money, to Toronto to experience a festival of this kind. The concert was scheduled as a welcome back event for college and university students. It was a bike-friendly event with a cook out and giant games of Scrabble and checkers were being played. Artists were brought in to paint landscape paintings of the buildings. The Buffalo Police saw none of this. Have you ever heard the expression, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"?

The DJs were flown in from all over the country and most never even got to spin. It's ironic actually... all morning we thought that the rain was going to wash out the show. Little did we know, that it was going to be the Buffalo Police Department that would rain on our parade. Shame on them and shame on the people who gave them the orders to shut down the Silent Exchange music festival.

*Photos taken by a local business owner who prefers not to be mentioned by name and a nationally recognized journalist who just happened to be at the festival.

12:09 AM

There's no way that you're actually surprised that this story did not make the news are you?

Blackrock's one thing.

If this happened in say, East Amherst it would be on CNN.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Unregistered

Concert shut down, but no arrests?

Here is the Bflo News report.

Hard to imagine shutting down a concert . . with no arrests? Wonder what does Councilman Golumbek has to say?

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/781087.html

Police, organizer dispute shutdown of music festival in Black Rock

By T. J. Pignataro, NEWS STAFF REPORTER, September 01, 2009, 6:57 AM

Music, as Longfellow once put it, is the “universal language of mankind.”

Whether that language, however, was harmonious or profane depended on who was listening during Saturday’s “Silent Exchange” music festival in Black Rock.

Three times, Buffalo police say, they responded to noise complaints at an all-day, open-air electronic music and arts festival at The Yard, an entertainment industrial complex on Tonawanda Street, before shutting down the event three hours early, at about 7 p. m.

The event’s organizer, Meghan Mann, 24, said police were heavy-handed.

“It’s just so ridiculous,” said Mann, when reached by phone Monday. “We did everything to make sure it was 100 percent by the book.”

That included, Mann said, obtaining a special-events permit from the city, getting required permits from the State Liquor Authority to serve beer and wine, and approval by the Erie County Health Department to serve food.

Still, the event attracted the attention of law enforcement at 1, 3:30 and then again at 7 p. m., when Northwest District police shut it down.

“There were numerous noise complaints from neighbors,” said Michael J. DeGeorge, Buffalo police spokesman. “Many of these complaints went to Council Member Joseph Golombek’s house Saturday afternoon and evening.”

DeGeorge said police paid the two earlier visits and warned organizers that if they had to return a third time there “was a good chance they would have to shut down the event.”

“I think [Mann’s] heart was in the right place. She meant well and tried to do good,” De- George said, “but they misunderstood that just because you have a permit, doesn’t mean you have carte blanche.”

Mann, however, thinks there might be more to it than that, alleging some sort of political feud between city leaders and those associated with The Yard may have sparked the police presence.

DeGeorge was unaware of problems with the patrons either during the event or after police shut it down. No arrests were made.

tpignataro@buffnews.com

Sad,

Reminscent of the famous 33 traffic slow down.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So if people at the yard event complain about noise from like the wing fest, taste of buffalo or even thursday in the square will the police break those events up?

The article alluded to some political motive.....I wonder what that was.

This administration has proved they will use might to silence opposition.
    All that from such a soft spoken man.....

Whether that language, however, was harmonious or profane depended on who was listening during Saturday’s “Silent Exchange” music festival in Black Rock.

I know we all like a good conspiracy theory but I am guessing from the above quote some raunchy lyrics were perhaps not appreciated by the locals perhaps?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered

raunchy lyrics? . . . "clothes optional" beaches?

I know we all like a good conspiracy theory but I am guessing from the above quote some raunchy lyrics were perhaps not appreciated by the locals perhaps?
    Just got back from a visit to my Portland (OR) family, who introduced me to a part of their culture I had missed before. There was about 1/3 mile of "clothes optional" sandy beaches along the Columbia River.

The parking areas adjacent to the half dozen beach entrances were all full, but not a cop car to be seen.

My daughter reported that some locals don't appreciate all the traffic & looking out their windows at 'well-tanned' bathers . . . but cops apparently don't intervene.

'Different strokes for different folks' . . depending on where one lives, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So if people at the yard event complain about noise from like the wing fest, taste of buffalo or even thursday in the square will the police break those events up?
    Those events are so HUGE that if the police were to break those events up
    there would be hell to pay-Blackrock was an "easy target" and did not upset many "important" officials.

Save Us: "Sad, Reminscent of the famous 33 traffic slow down."

I do not think that the police want the public outrage that the 33 traffic slow down resulted in again.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

"The Yard" faces a neighborhood about 400-500 feet away - it isn't nearly as isolated as the view from Tonawanda St makes it seem. Westwood-Squibb, or whatever it's called now, does intervene, but not enough to block sound. I could hear it all day, but I was 6/10 mile away; it must have been deafening up close.

The organizers should be happy for the publicity; now they can blame the failure on the cops instead of the measly 50 people showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post
    Just got back from a visit to my Portland (OR) family, who introduced me to a part of their culture I had missed before. There was about 1/3 mile of "clothes optional" sandy beaches along the Columbia River.

The parking areas adjacent to the half dozen beach entrances were all full, but not a cop car to be seen.

My daughter reported that some locals don't appreciate all the traffic & looking out their windows at 'well-tanned' bathers . . . but cops apparently don't intervene.

'Different strokes for different folks' . . depending on where one lives, perhaps?
    There is a huge difference between deciding wether you want to walk down (or live next to) a beach were clothes are optional and having someone set up a concert complete wth XXX lyrics near your house for a day.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    Those events are so HUGE that if the police were to break those events up
    there would be hell to pay-Blackrock was an "easy target" and did not upset many "important" officials.

Save Us: "Sad, Reminscent of the famous 33 traffic slow down."

I do not think that the police want the public outrage that the 33 traffic slow down resulted in again.

No one is above the law are they?

WHat is good for one group is good for another.

All United States Citizens have equal rights? Yes or no.......

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    There is a huge difference between deciding wether you want to walk down (or live next to) a beach were clothes are optional and having someone set up a concert complete wth XXX lyrics near your house for a day.
    Was it really XXX lyrics and crap? F this F that etc... If so they should have known better. All adults should set examples for kids to follow.

First Off I would like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the support before, during, and after this event. I do not in any way shape or form see this event as a fail. Silent Exchange was worked on for four months to make sure everything was as organized and by the book legal as possible so these problems would not occur. And I can say it was. If this event was taking place in a residencial neighborhood I would have made proper promotion in the area to make sure the residents new. This was not the case. The outdoor entertainment space is on a industrial property where the owner owns 5 acres of land. Would I really think I would have had any noise complaints, not in mine or anyone else doing an event on this properties right mind.

This event was something I wanted to do for Buffalo to share what I have experienced over the past few years between nyc and berlin. Bring Music I can find here close to never open up a door to a new experience and new event in buffalo. I do not plan to stop doing these events, and encourage those who have replied saying this makes them want to leave, stop doing this or that ...that you shouldn't. That's how a city dies. We are all creating this city together and if you abandon it you let them win. In this case I can honestly say there "power" was misused. Until a name was dropped, media was brought up I wouldn't get a meeting with anyone. Its sad. Really Sad.
    It was also brought up that maybe the people in that neighborhood weren't ready for this type of event/music so should I be punished because some people are miserable as a few people said in these meetings and close minded to new things? (I will not name names)

I think thats discrimination. And not to mention peoples typical response to electronic music usually has a negative impression in their mind I was trying to shed a new light on it for the community.....Soul Clap was playing re-edits they did for a new wolf and lamb ep of michael jackson, paul simon, steve nicks...i mean come on.,

Of course I am sad this happen frustrated of the lack of any reasonable answers or proof for that matter and sorry to those I "raddled there windows" which I would like to let everyone know we will re-enact the sound of this event for legal purposes to prove this is just not the case. We were at 94 decibals at the back of the venue which runs along the Scajaquada doesn't that make enough noise in itself?

I would not have risked that much if i thought this was at all possible....Maybe its my fault for thinking buffalo was ready for this type of event? But then I think no you are. But its up to you to open yourself up or not. People assume, judge, and make comments without any knowledge and shut things off immediatly and these are usually the people that complain they have nothing to do. Well one of my favorite sayings said to me by a friend a few months back is "your ability is your duty". This was my case I saw I had the ability to do something so it was my duty to pursue it.
    It's not like I was paid to do this I spent hundreds of hours on working on this event and thats not event the hours put in by Dino who helped me supported me throughout the past four months, he wanted to see this succeed just as much as me for the love of Buffalo. I mean come on Dino has a tatoo of City Hall with Buffalo under it....He wants to see Buffalo have a positive light ....

Bottom Line is. We had all permits in place just like all other festivals that take place in this city...There is no proof no messages saved on Joe's machine, no 911 calls that are on records. And from the meeting today Joe even second guessed that the cops were sent to the right event! Accordings to City Hall there were 6+ events going on that day I will be finding out exact locations to determine if this could have been the case. All meetings I have had do say they are deeply sorry, and they would have handled things differently.

We did everything 100% right. I had a demographic of 18 to 70's there. This was not a wild out of control young crowd I would say half the people there were above 28.

There is no other side of the story I have MANY witnesses, and joe was offered to have the media in on our meeting he denied if there was another side to this why won't anyone allow our meetings to be sat in on. I have nothing to hide....

These other festivals events the city has with all permits in tact they want me to think that there are no complaints...would they ever shut down the elmwood art festival? allentown? italian festival .absolutely not. Aren't these in 100% residencial areas.?

I can go on forever so many things to say......we will be taking legal actions against the city. This was not a low budget event, we really went all out for you all.

And shady business all the way around on the city's end "OFF THE RECORD"
    again thank you all for the support. I am sorry to those I apparently disrupted, we will be checking on that sound with a lawyer soon. A positive event taking place in your neighborhood probably the most positive you have seen in a long time. not the last time either. I encourage you to read http://silentexchange.blogspot.com try to see what this event was actually about.

Silent Exchange will happen again.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So the lyrics were crude or vulgar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information