Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna Council Race

It takes more than one person to get things done on a 5 member rubberstamp council. Maybe instead of complaining about Ms.Haxton you should be thinking about replacing Mr.Szymanski and Mr.Kulczyk.What kind of represenatives are they when they won't answer questions and attend the debate.Please think about this. Mr.Kulczyk has never put anything pertaining to his ward on the agenda.Just look at the item he put on at last council meeting a resolution complaining about the increase in prices of hunting and fishing liscenses.What the hell does that have to do with the ward the he represents?? How about putting Mckinley Bridge on agenda it's falling apart weeds growing up all over it. Staircases falling down. Sad part is it is right in front of Mr. Jaworski's house. These guys just don't care about doing the right thing. I give Ms. Haxton more credit for atleast trying than these do nothing representatives that sit with her.

Red face Council Elections

I think what La Rez fails to realize is that it's not only the election in the 1st ward that needs to be addressed. If we can oust the do nothings in the 2nd and 3rd wards we are on our way to shutting the good ole boys down. If you have friends in others wards encourage them to vote those incumbents out, and give Dennis Mulqueen and Tim Blarr a chance. I think once that's accomplished Andrea will have much better rapport with the new council members. Then when the next elections come you vote out the other do nothings. It's going to take awhile, but hopefullly it will get done!

Thumbs up

Sounds like a plan. Inspire and encourage. Time for Change with Hopes for Better Tomorrow.

The time for change is now maybe someone can put Mr.Kulczyk's record out there so everyone can see exactly what he voted for and what he put on the agenda. While were at it put out Mr.Szymanski record also. They did not want to answer questions at least put their record out there because that is what they stand for.

Dennis Mulqueen article submitted to Front Page for this week

An Opportunity to Revolutionize Lackawanna Awaits

“Next week the General Election will be in full swing and I hope the voters of Lackawanna are thinking with a new seriousness about the role they can play in the direction our great city takes. Now more than ever is the time for us to decide for change”, Third Ward candidate Dennis Mulqueen said.

“We have never encountered a better opportunity to boldly rethink and change Lackawanna for the better. I plan to push for a beautification project for Ridge Road and South Park Avenue. I will also implement improvements in Abbott Road Plaza with a city based management team that will work with the owners of the Plaza to attract more businesses. I will implement more programs and special events for our seniors and children along with targeting and improving our city’s blighted areas. Another project I plan to initiate is the Lackawanna Playground Restoration Fund. I will be the first to contribute to this cause by donating my entire council salary over the next four years for this program to guarantee that all of our Third Ward playgrounds will be completely updated with new equipment that will be handicapped accessible, ensuring the safety of all children”, stated Mulqueen. “All of these ideas combined with open government, accountability and the demand that our citizens come first is my platform for the much needed transformation in our city government.”

Mulqueen concluded, “It is my hope that voters that have read my literature and those with whom I have met during this vital election process, will consider the ideas that I stand for and that they will examine the record of the past years and decide that change within the halls of our government would be a bold move forward for our great city. I respectfully ask for your consideration in helping to move Lackawanna in a new direction by voting for me on November 3rd.”

Dennis Mulqueen's speech at Fundraiser

I would like to thank all of you for coming; your support is greatly appreciated. I'd especially like to thank my wife Melissa for letting me run for office and for all of her help. I also would like to thank my daughter Anna for inspiring me to help change Lackawanna for future generations. Thank you to the Republican Party for their endorsement and support. Thank you, Alice & Jimmy Gordon for all of their help. Thank you to Mike & Patti Bryniarski for your help with this campaign. I would also like to give special thank you to Catherine for her insight and advice on the workings up at city hall.

I am here today living the dream of my father who once wanted to run for councilman in this city. My dad always told me about honesty and integrity and to always stand up for what is right and to treat people the same way you would want to be treated.

As the great republican president Dwight D. Eisenhower once said, "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." When you have one party rule for far too long in this great city, you end up with a city with no checks and balances. A party that takes care of its own instead of the need of the city’s people. My dad, God rest his soul, told me not to make promises that you cannot keep. Now I believe in his words but these are the promises I will always keep. I promise to always tell the truth and get the answers you the people demand. I promise I will always do what is right and not be swayed by politics. I promise I will stand like a rock in the face of adversity. I understand that this position requires plans. As Daniel Burham once said….”Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work. I will work hard for the people of this ward.

I will always ask questions about the way we, as a city, conduct our business.

It's time ……..Time for a new face in Lackawanna

I believe we need more open government and accountability in Lackawanna. When elected, I will try to make the following changes to the city charter: A budget hearing must be mandatory and must be held before the actual budget vote. I also believe we the people deserve this information. In this change, I will also make mandatory that the budget information is available free of charge and available online so that all citizens are able to view it. After all, this is our city, not a piggy bank to raid for those who now hold office. That being said, the lack of accountability in this city is appalling. I propose that the city itemize everything in the budget right down to the last nail and bolt. Checks to be paid out must be authorized by more than one person and money transfers must be approved only after receiving all the proper information. “I don't know” is not a satisfactory answer when a council member asks a question about money. Either you give the answer or maybe look for a new job.

It's time ........ Time for open government and accountability in Lackawanna.

I am sick and tired of our youth not having the services they rightfully deserve. I am appalled by the conditions our children face in some of our playgrounds. This is not an image to show to people. That image says that we do not care about our children. In a city with a budget of 22.9 million dollars only 30,000 dollars goes toward funding playgrounds that breaks down to 7500 dollars per ward. If you divide up between the many playgrounds in each ward you would be lucky to get 900 dollars for each one. I plan to increase the funding for our playgrounds and establish a Lackawanna Playground Commission, which will give our parents and children input on what they would like to see and then implement their ideas promptly. I believe that we, as a community in the past have failed our children by not doing enough to ensure that they have programs to keep them occupied and out of trouble. I do believe we can have great programs and even summer camps for our children and a youth center to go along with it. Other communities have programs, why can't we? I am sure a lot of people will say that we do not have the money and this is a mistake. In the words of one of my favorite presidents Theodore Roosevelt "The only man that makes a mistake is one who never does anything."

It's time........ Time to put our children first in Lackawanna

Growing up in Lackawanna I was always taught to respect my elders and give them a helping hand when needed. The city already has a lot in place for our seniors but more can be done. More progressive programs at the senior center to help keep them active are needed. I would like to have programs such as meet the pharmacist, meet the doctor, blood pressure and diabetic screening. An exercise and massage therapist and a police liaison available on certain days to help our seniors live a healthy, worry free life.

It's time ........Time to improve the quality of life for our seniors in Lackawanna.

We have a need in Lackawanna to help our business community. In the 3rd ward there are many vacant stores. Abbott Road Plaza is not as vibrant as it once was. I would like to use Southgate Plaza as a model for what our plaza should be like. I believe the city needs to take a more aggressive, proactive approach in accomplishing this goal. I propose that we form an Abbott Road Plaza Business Organization to consist of the Director of Development, Third Ward council member, plaza management and the businesses that are there. We need to offer businesses tax incentives and grants to locate here and make sure that management lives up to these expectations. I propose that we make a 5% business tax cut. Times are hard right now and we need to make sure our existing businesses can weather the current economic crisis. I also have in mind a radical aggressive pro business plan to move our city into the future. There are obstacles to overcome, but as Henry Ford once said "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eye off your goal."

It's time……..Time for a better business program in Lackawanna

As our city grows, older certain areas of our city are becoming blighted. In the 3rd ward we do not receive any improvement grants from the city. I propose that the city aggressively work with the grant writers to seek grants within the 3rd ward area. We need to assert these grants aggressively so all can take part and improve our city's image. I believe a lot of our problems in this area are too many chiefs, not enough Indians, so to speak.

I think we need to streamline our inspection offices and make sure they follow the rules to the letter and that the buck stops with the head of this department, not anyone else.

If we show people we will aggressively enforce codes they will repair their properties. I will focus on cleaning up the area around our main tourist attraction, the Basilica. I propose that we set aside 100 grand per year for the next 5 years for a Ridge Rd. beautification project. I believe our citizens should have input in this idea also.

It's time ........Time to clean up Lackawanna

I know this plan is aggressive and I know a lot of people are afraid of change. The world hates change but yet it is the only thing that has brought forth progress. After 100 years of the same thing, change in Lackawanna will be a great occurrence. It is now the time for putting people first and it is now time for a non political person, one with common sense, new clean ideas and the aspiration to step forward and return our city to where it rightfully belongs… to it's people and not the political puppets that have held the City back for years. I will not be a puppet on a string!

I plan to institute a line item for my salary as Third Ward Council Member to improve this ward for the children who have been neglected for many, many years.

There is a saying I heard recently and I would like to share it with you. Instead of giving a politician a key to the city, it might be better to change the locks!! I say. …Let’s lock out the incumbents who have not moved the city in a progressive manner and go with a new, young, fresh person who has the vision to move our City forward with bold ideas and a vibrant outlook for the future of our great city!!

It's time …….. Time for change in Lackawanna!

Thank you all for coming and thank you for your support. May God bless you and your families and may God bless Lackawanna.

[QUOTE=cath829;564163]I would like to thank all of you for coming; your support is greatly appreciated. I'd especially like to thank my wife Melissa for letting me run for office and for all of her help. I also would like to thank my daughter Anna for inspiring me to help change Lackawanna for future generations. Thank you to the Republican Party for their endorsement and support. Thank you, Alice & Jimmy Gordon for all of their help. Thank you to Mike & Patti Bryniarski for your help with this campaign. I would also like to give special thank you to Catherine for her insight and advice on the workings up at city hall.

I am here today living the dream of my father who once wanted to run for councilman in this city. My dad always told me about honesty and integrity and to always stand up for what is right and to treat people the same way you would want to be treated.

As the great republican president Dwight D. Eisenhower once said, "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." When you have one party rule for far too long in this great city, you end up with a city with no checks and balances. A party that takes care of its own instead of the need of the city’s people. My dad, God rest his soul, told me not to make promises that you cannot keep. Now I believe in his words but these are the promises I will always keep. I promise to always tell the truth and get the answers you the people demand. I promise I will always do what is right and not be swayed by politics. I promise I will stand like a rock in the face of adversity. I understand that this position requires plans. As Daniel Burham once said….”Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work. I will work hard for the people of this ward.

I believe we need more open government and accountability in Lackawanna. When elected, I will try to make the following changes to the city charter: A budget hearing must be mandatory and must be held before the actual budget vote. I also believe we the people deserve this information. In this change, I will also make mandatory that the budget information is available free of charge and available online so that all citizens are able to view it. After all, this is our city, not a piggy bank to raid for those who now hold office. That being said, the lack of accountability in this city is appalling. I propose that the city itemize everything in the budget right down to the last nail and bolt. Checks to be paid out must be authorized by more than one person and money transfers must be approved only after receiving all the proper information. “I don't know” is not a satisfactory answer when a council member asks a question about money. Either you give the answer or maybe look for a new job.

I am sick and tired of our youth not having the services they rightfully deserve. I am appalled by the conditions our children face in some of our playgrounds. This is not an image to show to people. That image says that we do not care about our children. In a city with a budget of 22.9 million dollars only 30,000 dollars goes toward funding playgrounds that breaks down to 7500 dollars per ward. If you divide up between the many playgrounds in each ward you would be lucky to get 900 dollars for each one. I plan to increase the funding for our playgrounds and establish a Lackawanna Playground Commission, which will give our parents and children input on what they would like to see and then implement their ideas promptly. I believe that we, as a community in the past have failed our children by not doing enough to ensure that they have programs to keep them occupied and out of trouble. I do believe we can have great programs and even summer camps for our children and a youth center to go along with it. Other communities have programs, why can't we? I am sure a lot of people will say that we do not have the money and this is a mistake. In the words of one of my favorite presidents Theodore Roosevelt "The only man that makes a mistake is one who never does anything."

Growing up in Lackawanna I was always taught to respect my elders and give them a helping hand when needed. The city already has a lot in place for our seniors but more can be done. More progressive programs at the senior center to help keep them active are needed. I would like to have programs such as meet the pharmacist, meet the doctor, blood pressure and diabetic screening. An exercise and massage therapist and a police liaison available on certain days to help our seniors live a healthy, worry free life.

It's time ........Time to improve the quality of life for our seniors in Lackawanna.

We have a need in Lackawanna to help our business community. In the 3rd ward there are many vacant stores. Abbott Road Plaza is not as vibrant as it once was. I would like to use Southgate Plaza as a model for what our plaza should be like. I believe the city needs to take a more aggressive, proactive approach in accomplishing this goal. I propose that we form an Abbott Road Plaza Business Organization to consist of the Director of Development, Third Ward council member, plaza management and the businesses that are there. We need to offer businesses tax incentives and grants to locate here and make sure that management lives up to these expectations. I propose that we make a 5% business tax cut. Times are hard right now and we need to make sure our existing businesses can weather the current economic crisis. I also have in mind a radical aggressive pro business plan to move our city into the future. There are obstacles to overcome, but as Henry Ford once said "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eye off your goal."

As our city grows, older certain areas of our city are becoming blighted. In the 3rd ward we do not receive any improvement grants from the city. I propose that the city aggressively work with the grant writers to seek grants within the 3rd ward area. We need to assert these grants aggressively so all can take part and improve our city's image. I believe a lot of our problems in this area are too many chiefs, not enough Indians, so to speak.

I think we need to streamline our inspection offices and make sure they follow the rules to the letter and that the buck stops with the head of this department, not anyone else.

If we show people we will aggressively enforce codes they will repair their properties. I will focus on cleaning up the area around our main tourist attraction, the Basilica. I propose that we set aside 100 grand per year for the next 5 years for a Ridge Rd. beautification project. I believe our citizens should have input in this idea also.

I know this plan is aggressive and I know a lot of people are afraid of change. The world hates change but yet it is the only thing that has brought forth progress. After 100 years of the same thing, change in Lackawanna will be a great occurrence. It is now the time for putting people first and it is now time for a non political person, one with common sense, new clean ideas and the aspiration to step forward and return our city to where it rightfully belongs… to it's people and not the political puppets that have held the City back for years. I will not be a puppet on a string!

I plan to institute a line item for my salary as Third Ward Council Member to improve this ward for the children who have been neglected for many, many years.

There is a saying I heard recently and I would like to share it with you. Instead of giving a politician a key to the city, it might be better to change the locks!! I say. …Let’s lock out the incumbents who have not moved the city in a progressive manner and go with a new, young, fresh person who has the vision to move our City forward with bold ideas and a vibrant outlook for the future of our great city!!

Thank you all for coming and thank you for your support. May God bless you and your families and may God bless Lackawanna.[/QUOTE/]

Did Mr. Mulqueen write this sppech himself? If he did wow what a very insightful speech writer he is. Maybe our president needs to hire him!!!

Yes he did.....every word!

Post Facts!

Amen!

Kulczyk's Agenda Record January 2008 to October 19, 2009

mnb811, Here is your info.

April 7, 2008
    Council Meeting Date Change
    To: City Council
    I request the Council reschedule the Council meeting date of August 4, 2008 to Tuesday, August 5 th . I have a previously scheduled personal business that makes it impossible for me to attend the meeting.
    FRANCIS J. KULCZYK, THIRD WARD COUNCIL MEMBER
    Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Szymanski to receive and file, act on resolution.
    Yeas: Haxton, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski. Carried 5 – 0
    I request the Council approve the appointment of Leonard J. Marcinkowski as bingo inspector, term expiring December 31, 2009.
    FRANCIS KULCZYK, THIRD WARD COUNCIL MEMBER
    Moved by Kulczyk, seconded by Szymanski to approve appointment.
    Yeas: Haxton, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski. Carried 5 – 0
    To: City Council
    Due to the going misunderstanding in the street named Willowdale, I feel that there should be professional guidelines and regulations put into effect as practice that are in compliance with city policy. I respectfully request that the council approve the traffic ordinance.
    FRANK KULCZYK, THIRD WARD COUNCIL MEMBER
    Moved by Szymanski, seconded by Schiavi to receive and file, act on ordinance.
    Yeas: Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski. Carried 4-1
    Nays: Haxton

Council Member Kulczyk – seeks approval of resolution requesting the state rescind their increased fees of fishing and hunting licenses
    Last edited by cath829; October 27th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Angry

This is not good. I cannot believe he just put these items on the agenda in the 22 months he has been there.Are you sure this is right? According to your search the last time Mr.Kulczyk put something on before this past meeting was over a year ago....that's terrible

Post Facts!

Quote Originally Posted by la_rez View Post
    To Ms. Haxton, my councilwoman, Please tell me what you have done for the citizens of the first ward since taking office. Please dont blame anyone else for not allowing you to achieve something good for the first ward. Tell me the things you were able to do. Thank you Ms.Haxton

Your brains are working overtime trying to get me on something. Cunning and clever but NO cigar!
    You see, I do not blame anyone for anything, I am a big girl and if your statement were true people would be calling me out on it all my life, keep it real la__rez,----the elected men and other employees who refuse to do their job for the betterment of the City of Lackawanna has no reflection on me. I have done my best and have brought numerous progressive cost-saving ideas to the forefront many years before I was elected and the past 3 years 10 months since elected. I save everything!
    I will gladly share ALL my files with you or any interested parties!

Now Mr. Noman has been an elected Democratic Committeeman well over
    " 10 " years! He was my Committeeman from March 1998 till 2009 when I had my store on Ridge at Ingham.
    Please tell me what you accomplished for OUR community Mr. Noman. You have been an elected official almost triple the years of mine and you have the advantage of being a member of the boys club----I am a known outcast.

Just the facts will do--- Again, I was ready to debate the facts of my accomplishments with you last week, why did you stiff me/us?

Hope people see what a farce this city has become and what kind of corrupt political leaders we have.These guys will say anything to make themselves look good. All they had to do was show up!! That was the real SHAM and for Mr. Kulczyk saying he will be visibale and available is a joke. He has never even put his picture in the front page. Why do you think that is?? Becasue he can't walk the talk....he only knows how to sit there and have his strings pulled by the DUMB-O-CRATS. All he knows how to do is JUMP when jaworski says so and no when told not to. He is a YES man for the corrupt people in City Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    I would like to thank all of you for coming; your support is greatly appreciated. I'd especially like to thank my wife Melissa for letting me run for office and for all of her help. I also would like to thank my daughter Anna for inspiring me to help change Lackawanna for future generations. Thank you to the Republican Party for their endorsement and support. Thank you, Alice & Jimmy Gordon for all of their help. Thank you to Mike & Patti Bryniarski for your help with this campaign. I would also like to give special thank you to Catherine for her insight and advice on the workings up at city hall.

Thank you all for coming and thank you for your support. May God bless you and your families and may God bless Lackawanna.
    This was written by myself and I hope it goes to show people that I have ideas and solutions for our city problems and that my positive thinking can move our city away from petty politics and into a great future.

Good for you Dennis and GOOD LUCK......GREAT IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information