Thread: Gun "BuyBack"

Gun "BuyBack"

So did anybody actually go and buy weapons off some of the people turning them in or otherwise go to this? I guess some of them were probably quite valuable, given the quotes in the paper:

A woman who did not want to reveal her name said that the buyback program is beneficial for those wanting to get rid of their guns legally. She turned in two old shotguns that belonged to her late father at True Bethel Baptist Church on East Ferry Street.
    Then the obvious quotes about what a waste of time these programs are:

Some studies show the programs are ineffective at lowering crime rates and getting potentially harmful weapons off the streets.

In 2000, Lawrence Sherman, a University of Pennsylvania criminology professor, conducted a study for the U. S. Department of Justice and noted there was no direct correlation between gun buyback programs and the reduction of crime.
    Finally, it looks like somebody made some money here (from the comment section):
    The part I found interesting was the guys trolling in the parking lots of the drop off points buying the rifles and shotguns from people before they even made it into the door. One guy told me he purchased 5 rifles and 3 shotguns (including a classic Browning over/under he showed me in mint condition) for less cash than the people would have made off them by taking them inside. Next year I will have to keep my eyes open for a nice shot gun.

I heard on the news this moring that the gun buy back program was a complete success with over 700 firearms turned in. According to the mayor these included 240 handguns, 300 rifles and shotguns, 24 bb/toy guns, a flamethrower, 3 bazookas, a 1942 vintage howitzer, 2 panzer tanks, and a thermonuclear missile of Iranian origin.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

I saw what appeared to be a nice TC muzzleloader being carried out. What a shame. I was happy, however that a man turned in a handgun and a sawed off shot gun that he found on his property. From what I gathered after hearing his interview: the pistol was tucked in a corner of his yard. The shotgun was found in his trailer during the winter. He saw footprints entering and exiting the trailer and investigated. Not trully a good Samaritain, though. He waited till the buy back to get money, not going right to the police station with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    I heard on the news this moring that the gun buy back program was a complete success with over 700 firearms turned in. According to the mayor these included 240 handguns, 300 rifles and shotguns, 24 bb/toy guns, a flamethrower, 3 bazookas, a 1942 vintage howitzer, 2 panzer tanks, and a thermonuclear missile of Iranian origin.
    That has to be one of the funniest things I have read on here. Ever.

Will the news stations probably carry a segment on the gun buyback program's "success" interviewing his majesty, Mayor Byron Brown who came up with the idea for the gun buyback program?
    "These deadly weapons have been taken off our streets and Buffalo is now safer. There won't be as many shooting and you will vote for me to be your Mayor again because I care about all of you."
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Unregistered
    I heard an Al-Qaeda member attempted to turn in a few suitcase nukes but was turned away because they were only accepting guns.

Apparently, the same guy came back later with a crate of fully automatic assault rifles and was turned away again. Mayor Brown explained to him that they were trying to clean up the streets of Buffalo, not Lackawanna.

Going to the Gun Center will get more cash back than a buyback, for crying out loud.

Are the people just turning them in for money? I doubt it. I wonder how many have an ulterior motive

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
    Going to the Gun Center will get more cash back than a buyback, for crying out loud.

Are the people just turning them in for money? I doubt it. I wonder how many have an ulterior motive
    I did not even consider that those criminals or law-abiding citizens who DO get rid of guns would have enough BRAINS to sell firearms NOT used in any crime (traceable) to a legit dealer as you mentioned advertising in 'The Buffalo News'
    instead of the joke prices the city pays gun sellers.

Wow. When you consider that IF someone is going to sell a gun, wishing to get top $$$ for it, they'll put their OWN ad in various paper(s) and/or contact a dealer to sell it, "logicallY" making every single gun buyback program in the United States a waste of tax-payer money, a waste of time and of course, a GREAT photo-op for Mayors who love smiling for the camera.

Sure, I've heard of SOME antique/serious collectible guns turned into the buyback locations usually by a widow or uninformed person but guns like Lionel Trains, like stupid Barbie Dolls or COOL 1960's GI Joe dolls and comic books and Mego super hero dolls are ALL collectibles and smart sellers seek the most bang (sorry) for their buck, ESPECIALLY these days.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Exclamation Fear and lack of education

Check this out - this is just one small portion:Attachment 2850

Too many people are actually afraid to transport or even touch guns in their homes.

Seniors are afraid to give a stranger their address after saying, "Yes, I have some handguns and long things my husband left behind." - Fear of getting robbed.

Other people have zero knowledge of firearms - the only thing daddy or hubby ever told them was, "Don't touch my guns." So the family is afraid of them.

Some are actually afraid of the Laws. They read **** in the Bufnews and hear stories - they are afraid of getting arrested for transporting them. I was in the business for many years - I have seen it all -

One gentleman had over three thousand guns in his home. He collected them all his life, his wife died - soon after that, he broke his hip. When I met him he was afraid to advertise or make everyone aware of what he had.

He still has most of them, he doesn't trust anyone. I even talked to his daughter and explained how I could help. He still wouldn't commit to dealing through me. I will try and find one of the pictures I took and post it.

Fear is the biggest issue, lack of information is the problem.
    Last edited by 4248; March 9th, 2010 at 07:47 PM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information