Thread: Risk of Electromagnetic Pulse Attack/Event

Risk of Electromagnetic Pulse Attack/Event

Do you know what EMP stand for? Do you think your government is ready to protect you from an EMP attack?
    Find out the answers at:
    9/9 & 10, 2009: EMP Conference: Protecting America from Permanent Continental Shutdown from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP). The conference will take place at the Conference Center, Niagara Falls, NY. It will feature EMP experts and local and national leaders addressing the need for infrastructure protection and recovery planning in local communities and across the nation.

This conference is expected to be a watershed event, helping to establish the recommendations of the congressional EMP Commission as a critical step in ensuring U.S. national security in the face of this dangerous threat.

EMPACT America Inc.
    EMPACT America works with local citizenry, civic-minded companies, and grassroots activists to help prepare communities in New York State and across America to prepare for an EMP attack. Working with local city governments and first responders, EMPACT America provides for coordination, education, and consulting services, helping to create a growing grassroots movement focused on EMP preparedness and recovery.

An EMP attack can cripple our infrastructure causing all of our electronic equipment and infrastructure to fail. That means even basic modes of emergency response, like cars, planes, and other emergency vehicles, may not even start. Current emergency planning is primarily based upon short-term disasters, and is heavily dependent upon assistance from peripheral communities; unfortunately, an EMP could have long-lasting and wide-spread effects that are not adequately addressed by current planning. Moreover, availability of fundamental resources such as our food, water, and medical supplies would almost certainly break down.
    Contact us at: info@empactamerica.org or 716.435.7873.

Conference information and registration is available at www.empactamerica.org .

So. maybe we should restore the steam engines at the Colonel Ward Pumping Station, with a BIG pile of coal (or tanks of oil) to fuel them. (Not kidding - it makes sense) . Huntley is also powered with coal, in Tonawanda. A few pulses aren't going to knock out big coils of copper in such big generators, same as in Lewiston. We'll be okay.

Let's not try to stir up panic when it's not warranted, k? K.

Quote Originally Posted by ForestBird View Post
    So. maybe we should restore the steam engines at the Colonel Ward Pumping Station, with a BIG pile of coal (or tanks of oil) to fuel them. (Not kidding - it makes sense) . Huntley is also powered with coal, in Tonawanda. A few pulses aren't going to knock out big coils of copper in such big generators, same as in Lewiston. We'll be okay.

FB, I think you are being shortsighted. Look at how the Y2K bug affected us... err, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ForestBird View Post

No need to panic, Cardinal, but its probably an easy weapon for our REAL enemies to make and use against us.

I guess that its just good to know ONE more thing waiting to hurt and/or kill us.

That and maybe end civilization as we know it.

Heh. I can just see Fox News using the EMP weapons as another FEAR TACTIC with Obama's healthcare plan:

"If President Obama's socialized medicine goes through, the French will attack us with EMP weapons sending us back into the stone age and we'll all be slaves of the French! So say NO to healthcare UNLESS you want to go without power and you DO like watching Fox on your TV that won't work if an EMP weapon is used on America? Phone, email and write your representatives that you'd rather be SICK and CRIPPLED and suffering in indescribable pain than be slaves of the French after they use their vicious EMP weapon on this great country of ours!!!"

And ONLY psychotic Glenn Beck can make the above speech and sound believable;To the ignorant and insane which is most of this country!
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

As Chicken Little said, "The sky is falling"

Georgia L Schlager

Well, when the sky falls, I have two vehicles with no chips whatsoever. One will run on cooking oil, diesel, tallow, etc. The other is a "war wagon".

Even my home streo is old fashioned, grooves, needle, and transistors. Y'all can ride your ponies over, bring your old vinyl.

I dont think folks get it that all chipped devices are done if the EMP is strong enough. Think about no chips functioning and how it would affect your day.
    Gene Chaas
    Coordinator, NY Modern Whig Party
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org
    With the power of soul, anything is possible. - JMH

Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM ONE View Post
    Even my home stereo is old fashioned, grooves, needle, and transistors. Y'all can ride your ponies over, bring your old vinyl.
    Heresy! I'm all tube.

No one should worry about an EMP attack by a foreign or domestic terrorist because President Obama will put on his costume and cape and fly to the rescue!

"Up! Up! And awaaaaaaaaaaaaY! Here I am to save the day! But no universal health care, folks. I caved in! But I WILL stop that EMP pulse from destroying the county!!! Obama powers activated!!!"

Emma Bull

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    Here I am to save the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    No need to panic, Cardinal, but its probably an easy weapon for our REAL enemies to make and use against us.
    So far.
    The only way to cause an EMP large enough to cripple the whole country would be through the use of several nuclear weapons.
    Fried alternators would be the least of our worries.

The technology exists to do targeted attacks as large as a few city blocks.
    This has only been achieved through ariel attacks.

The ammount of energy required to create a wide spread EMP is enormous.
    The devices are large.

I thought about this thread and then determined that China could and would have motive to perpetrate an EMP strike..

Because then all of you would run out and buy more cheap Chinese electronic crap....
    Hell we already built their economy, in this war of economic attrition.

Gene, the purpose of a weapon in post apocolypse is to "procure" your transportation

I mean defensive purposes

Look, kids! The police will have EMP toys soon!

Police test hi-tech zapper that could end car chases

* Ian Sample, science correspondent
    * The Guardian, Monday 12 July 2004

A hi-tech device that can bring speeding cars to a halt at the flick of a switch is set to become the latest weapon in the fight against crime.

Police forces in Britain and the US have ordered tests of the new system that delivers a blast of radio waves powerful enough to knock out vital engine electronics, making the targeted vehicle stall and slowly come to a stop.

David Giri, who left his position as a physics professor at the University of California in Berkeley to set up a company called ProTech, is developing a radio wave vehicle-stopping system for the US marine corps and the Los Angeles police department.

Tomorrow, at the Euroem 2004 science conference in Germany, Dr Giri will describe recent trials of the device. The tests proved that the system could stop vehicles from up to 50 metres away.

The bulk of the device is designed to fit in a car boot and consists of a battery and a bank of capacitors that can store an electrical charge. Flicking a switch on the dashboard sends a burst of electricity into an antenna mounted on the roof of the car. The antenna then produces a narrow beam of intense radio waves that is directed at the vehicle ahead.

When the radio waves hit the targeted car, they induce surges of electricity in its electronics, upsetting the fuel injection and engine firing signals. "It works on most cars built in the past 10 years, because their engines are controlled by computer chips," said Dr Giri. "If we can disrupt the computer, we can stop the car." A prototype is due to be ready by next summer.

The Association of Chief Police Officers confirmed that researchers at the Home Office's police scientific development branch are testing a radio wave vehicle-stopping system. "There's a potential to use this type of device to stop criminals on the road. High speed pursuits are very dangerous, especially in built-up areas," said an association spokesman.

Now don't all of you feel much safer knowing that EMP weapons will be responsibly used by law enforcement professionals?
    I feel better already.
    Honest to God I do.
    Last edited by Dumbfounded; August 22nd, 2009 at 04:51 PM.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    I thought about this thread and then determined that China could and would have motive to perpetrate an EMP strike..
    China is too busy figuring out a quick way to destroy our satellites.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM ONE View Post
    Even my home streo is old fashioned, grooves, needle, and transistors. Y'all can ride your ponies over, bring your old vinyl.
    Unless you're still using a Victrola, wouldn't it depend on electricity being delivered to your house?

Rely on the grid, are you high? Generators laddie, generators. Simply old analog diesel ones preferably. To be serious, speaking of the "grid" its a clusterfutz and needs modernization badly.
    Gene Chaas
    Coordinator, NY Modern Whig Party
    www.nywhig.org
    www.modernwhig.org
    With the power of soul, anything is possible. - JMH

Originally posted by MCS386:
    An EMP attack can cripple our infrastructure causing all of our electronic equipment and infrastructure to fail. That means even basic modes of emergency response, like cars, planes, and other emergency vehicles, may not even start. Current emergency planning is primarily based upon short-term disasters, and is heavily dependent upon assistance from peripheral communities; unfortunately, an EMP could have long-lasting and wide-spread effects that are not adequately addressed by current planning. Moreover, availability of fundamental resources such as our food, water, and medical supplies would almost certainly break down.

If we're all dead, we won't need any of the above.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information