Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Case, Unsloved, Whodunnit.

Cold Case, Unsloved, Whodunnit.

I saw some report about a 1950's cold case someplace that was thought to be solved. It had nothing to do with Amherst. But, it got me to thinking what significant cold cases there might be in Amherst.

The only one that I can think of is a murder a bunch of years ago at the Wendy's fast food place at Wehrle & Transit. I don't think that was ever solved, was it?

Anyone know of other unsolved stuff in Amherst?

PS, On a personal note a Motorola pager was stolen from my car about 15 years ago. I suppose I should give up hope on that one, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    I saw some report about a 1950's cold case someplace that was thought to be solved. It had nothing to do with Amherst. But, it got me to thinking what significant cold cases there might be in Amherst.

The only one that I can think of is a murder a bunch of years ago at the Wendy's fast food place at Wehrle & Transit. I don't think that was ever solved, was it?

Anyone know of other unsolved stuff in Amherst?

PS, On a personal note a Motorola pager was stolen from my car about 15 years ago. I suppose I should give up hope on that one, eh?
    Wasn't it a Your Host restuarant at the time?
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    Wasn't it a Your Host restuarant at the time?
    Gosh, I dunno. I didn't think so. But coulda been. At the NorthWest corner of Transit & Wehrle. Wasn't Your Host in, like, TransitTown Plaza... which I think would be Clarence, no? But come to think of it, I believe there is some kind of unsolved Your Host crime too.

Someone on here must know 'bout Amherst cold case stuff.

Wendy's restaurant

There was a murder /robbery of a young girl /employee at Wendy's? years ago..suspect never was caught. I worked with her dad,,,,it devastated the family....and her father was never the same after that horrific tragedy!

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post

The victim was the Wendy's Restaurant manager. She admitted the killer through the restaurant's back door after closing. She was also bludgeoned about the face. These factors are indicative of a victim/offender relationship.

The news articles at the time indicated that the killer had a connection to a local church, and the church severely stonewalled the investigation.

If you thought embezzlement from the collection plate was bad, here's a church involved in the cover-up of a murder. I'm sure that within their brainwashed, myopic minds, they had "good reason" not to talk to the investigators. The back door of the restaurant was eventually sent to the FBI for analysis. Continual advances in forensic science will hopefully close the case.

Name that church.
    Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

If it is found that a church was to blame for the delayed conviction then all those involved should be prosecuted.

Im surpirsed the church is stil standing, to be honest.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    There was a murder /robbery of a young girl /employee at Wendy's? years ago..suspect never was caught. I worked with her dad,,,,it devastated the family....and her father was never the same after that horrific tragedy!

who would be? the same I mean - how tragic - I remember that ....
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Another unsolved murder occurred along Transit Road in the mid 1980's.
    A girl from Cheektowaga was found in a ditch. I believe she'd been strangled.
    She was last seen alive with her estranged boyfriend, a NYS Trooper who quickly lawyered-up.

The Buffalo News did a story on this, and other unsolved murders a few years ago.

Ideally, a local cold-case squad could be established; comprised of top investigators from local agencies.
    It will never happen due to the massive egos involved.

If I were the victim's family, I would want this guy reviewing the casefile.
    Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; August 23rd, 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun View Post
    She was last seen alive with her estranged boyfriend, a NYS Trooper who quickly lawyered-up.

The Buffalo News did a story on this, and other unsolved murders a few years ago.

Ideally, a local cold-case squad could be established; comprised of top investigators from local agencies.
    It will never happen due to the massive egos involved.

If I were the victim's family, I would want this guy reviewing the casefile.
    Lucia - I went to high school with her ........... was it on transit? I guess I only remember that she was last seen at the towne rest that night ... she was excentric, but extremely smart - very artsy ......... the whole thing was a nightmare ...... I think she was killed the year after or the year we graduated very very sad .......
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

If you grew up in NT, you're familiar with the name Mandy Steingasser, whose body was found at Bonds Lake. In NT, there's still a strong suspicion of who killed her.

Tona News:
    "Mandy Steingasser, a 17-year- old North Tonawanda High School student, was last seen alive on Sept. 19, 1993, on her way to a First Avenue party. Her body was found more than a month later on Oct. 25 at Bonds Lake Park near Lewiston. No arrests have ever been made.

It’s North Tonawanda’s only homicide cold case.

“We handle all our investigations the same way,” said Lt. Tom Krantz of the North Tonawanda Police Department. “We keep going out, interviewing people with leads and discovering new leads.”

Krantz, who is assigned to the case and is working on it with the Niagara County

District Attorney’s office, goes through the file once every several months, he said."

Link to other area cold cases:
    http://www.tonawanda-news.com/local/...049004538.html

Was this in the Town of Amherst?

Wasn't there also a girl killed in 1978 or 1979 and an Amherst Policeman questioned in it? It was in the newspaper. I recall the Courier Express had the article.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Just for interest... if there was a forum for unsolved crimes in WNY.. one thread per crime... think people would find interest in that Or just a crime forum

Wasnt there a young girl murdered on Scamridge Curve years ago - maybe in the eighties - that was never solved?

In the case I'm referring to, the body was found in the area of Transit Rd. I don't recall which agency is overseeing the investigation, but the girl's former boyfriend a NYS Trooper, was the main person of interest. I don't know what became of him.

During the Sanchez investigation, the Buffalo News did a (Sunday) piece about other unsolved murders, and I believe this victim was mentioned. I can still see her picture, long brown hair, I think she was from Cheektowaga.

In lieu of paying for News Archives, or going to the Buffalo Library, you may want to search some of the Sanchez articles. As far as the Amherst cop, I've never heard of that one.

Is there any DNA evidence from this crime scene in cold storage?
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information