Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockport man charged with faking suicide on Internet

Lockport man charged with faking suicide on Internet

Interesting story - a guy in Lockport tells people in a chat room, that he has slit his wrists. Police in England pick up on it, and notify the local authorities. Cops get there, and the guy is fine - he was just making up the story.
    Guy gets charged with aggravated harassment and falsely reporting an incident.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/766401.html

Lockport man charged with faking suicide on Internet

August 17, 2009, 2:23 PM

LOCKPORT -- State police charged a Town of Lockport man with using the Internet and a web camera to stage a fake suicide hoax that reportedly upset people in other countries.

Joseph W. Shepherd, 21, was arrested about 5:25 p.m. Sunday at his residence in a Minnick Road trailer park.

The arrest was made after the State Police Intelligence Center in Albany got word that a computer at Shepherd's address had been used to put a fake suicide incident on the Internet.

Police in Gwent, England advised the international police organization Interpol that people in a chat group had observed a young man talking about slitting his wrists, and then lying back on his bed and playing dead, Trooper Wayne C. Carr said.

Trooper John Spero went to Shepherd's trailer and found him alive and unhurt. Police believe a recent breakup with a girlfriend prompted Shepherd to fake his suicide.

He is charged with aggravated harassment and falsely reporting an incident.

Unregistered
    This arrest will make a laughing stock out of the NYS police.

How can he be charged with A: Harassment? and B: Falsly reporting an incident? he didnt tell the AUTHORITIES he had slit his wrists, he told a bunch of people in a chatroom.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    How can he be charged with A: Harassment? and B: Falsly reporting an incident? he didnt tell the AUTHORITIES he had slit his wrists, he told a bunch of people in a chatroom.
    welcome to the new america.....how much longer before these forums and chat rooms become outlawed. or taxed and regulated. some here probably think its unfair that some of us have access while others dont.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Unless his actions caused "harm" to others, he has a right to "freedom of expression."

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    Unless his actions caused "harm" to others, he has a right to "freedom of expression."
    Agreed. Maybe he was charge by the NYC police BECAUSE the Brits make them look bad as you mentioned, Surf.

It SOUNDS as though these charges won't stick.
    But in THIS sick shallow culture, I bet the guy's going to get his own reality show:
    "Dying For Dollars!"
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Wow what is wrong with people!!

Charging him with a crime is extreme, but i definitely think they should get this guy some mental help.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Wow what is wrong with people!!

Charging him with a crime is extreme, but i definitely think they should get this guy some mental help.
    The NYC cops breaking into the guy's place:

"You're under arrest for trying to kill yourself! Give this jerk a taste of justice, guys! Tase and BEAT HIM! Hurt em' good!"

"Ouch! Stop it! OW! It hurts!!! Please stop, officers!!!"

"Smart guy, eh? You're going to wish you HAD killed yourself when WE'RE done with ya! Embarass US in front of them British limeys! Sick the police dogs on this clown then beat him some MORE with your nightsticks!"

"AgggggggH! I was only trying to kill myself! I'm sick! I need HELP, officers!"

"Oh, we'll give you help! Pepper spray him, guys!"

And that's what really happened.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    The NYC cops breaking into the guy's place:

"You're under arrest for trying to kill yourself! Give this jerk a taste of justice, guys! Tase and BEAT HIM! Hurt em' good!"

"Ouch! Stop it! OW! It hurts!!! Please stop, officers!!!"

"Smart guy, eh? You're going to wish you HAD killed yourself when WE'RE done with ya! Embarass US in front of them British limeys! Sick the police dogs on this clown then beat him some MORE with your nightsticks!"

"AgggggggH! I was only trying to kill myself! I'm sick! I need HELP, officers!"

"Oh, we'll give you help! Pepper spray him, guys!"

And that's what really happened.

The sad part is this is probably close to what truely happened.

I doubt they will even get this dude help!
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

In Italy when a person climbs to the top of a tall building and threatens to take the plunge, a crowd gathers and yells "JUMP!".

In Yew Nork, you get put in prison to reduce the potential of harming the underlying pavement.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    In Italy when a person climbs to the top of a tall building and threatens to take the plunge, a crowd gathers and yells "JUMP!".

In Yew Nork, you get put in prison to reduce the potential of harming the underlying pavement.
    Is this an Italian tradition? Does the crowd usually catch the jumper and everyone parties it up?

Bet this story will make 'The New York Post';British authorities notify New York City Police about a potential suicide on the net.

Emma Bull

this goes to show that there is no freedom of speach on the internet.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Does the crowd usually catch the jumper and everyone parties it up?
    No. The "splat" is encouraged. The idea is to get on with it and stop being a drama queen.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    No. The "splat" is encouraged. The idea is to get on with it and stop being a drama queen.
    not that Ill lose sleep over this ...

But it would be a good idea to brush up on the illness of mental health illness and what these people go through and why they want to kill themselves - its rarely about being a drama queen ..... its really sad though.... mental illness affects an entire family and its so hidden and belittled that not much gets done to make the patient whole again.

If this was a loved one of mine and others were chanting to get it over with, I dont think I would be too understanding .....

now maybe your post is just a post and this doesnt happen? I dont know and Im not going to waste my time googling it
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    Is this an Italian tradition? Does the crowd usually catch the jumper and everyone parties it up?
    In NYC bystanders below yell "Jump"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information