Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: As for eliminating the Village

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Most people with wells and septic do still pay maintenance fees - if you know one - ask them to look at their property tax statements. They pay fees for services they don't get.

I live on a county road - I pay all the same taxes everyone else does and receive no services provided by the Town. Research before making a statement of that sort.

Its the same as tax assessments - why should older homes be reassessed at higher values just because a subdivision is built ?

There's many overlapping/duplicated services in every Town/Village situation. Like I said - every Town/Village has unnecessary patronage jobs.

Its all about creating and maintaining "Friendly Party Voter Blocks" and its all tax funded.

You receive no services provided by your town...because you live on a county road? Ha ha hee hee ho ho! By the way just because you don't avail yourself of a service thats your choice doesn't mean it's not available for your use.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    When villages have dissolved the savings are never as great as people think.
    How many villages have been dissolved to base that statement on?

Not many, that's for sure. Ask yourself, what services go away when the village dissolves. Debt service? Nope. Public works? Nope. Public protection? Nope? Property taxation? Nope. Assessment? Nope. Parks and recreation? Nope. Maybe, just maybe, you can ring more work out of people and let a few people go. But the major savings is in the few elected officials, a mayor & trustees & village judge maybe. I doubt anyone is getting rich on the salaries they get. If you think so don't dissolve the village; run for office and make your fortune. In any event, most people who've voted have voted to keep their villages no matter what the purported savings are. If anyone believes the crappola bandied about by dopes like Kevin Gaughan...well some people will believe anything.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Not many, that's for sure. Ask yourself, what services go away when the village dissolves. Debt service? Nope. Public works? Nope. Public protection? Nope? Property taxation? Nope. Assessment? Nope. Parks and recreation? Nope. Maybe, just maybe, you can ring more work out of people and let a few people go. But the major savings is in the few elected officials, a mayor & trustees & village judge maybe. I doubt anyone is getting rich on the salaries they get. If you think so don't dissolve the village; run for office and make your fortune. In any event, most people who've voted have voted to keep their villages no matter what the purported savings are. If anyone believes the crappola bandied about by dopes like Kevin Gaughan...well some people will believe anything.
    YOu need to define what rich is. When you add up pension payout and items received many people would consider those people "Rich". It's all relative to the person.

Just to clarify that since few have ever dissolved then your previous statement was a bit misleading. I'm sure there is some overestimation when it comes to cost-savings. But I think you're to the other extreme of underestimating it. It's not like the only savings is a couple low-cost salaries. As res said, they may have generous lifetime benefits. They may also have support staff, vehicles, rent or lease payments on offices, supply costs for mailers and printing, and duplication of some tasks that are already being done at the town. I'm sure there is more. It might not work well for every village, but you can't say it's never worked, because really it's never been tried.

Come on, you know what rich is as well as I do. Many people who complain that others are getting "rich" are simply expressing envy. The pension of a public officer is a function of salary and years of service and if the salary is low the pension won't be high. And if they already have a " lifetime" benefit eliminating the position won't eliminate a vested benefit. As I said if you think everyone is getting "rich" but you and getting showered with "lifetime" benefits" run for the offices and check it out for yourself. As for trying dissolution it's been done in some places but not much around here. Look and see how much savings there were. I'm confident they weren't great because the bulk of services still have to provided and the savings are at the margins; that's just about an axiom.

If the majority of village residents want to keep the village government, the "extra costs" if any other not relevant to the issue of dissolution. Not everyone wants to live in the lowest denominated of government.

Why is it even part time officials get a pension benefit after holding a elected/appointed position for just 5 years?

Most normal workers have to do 10 years to be vested.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    If the majority of village residents want to keep the village government, the "extra costs" if any other not relevant to the issue of dissolution. Not everyone wants to live in the lowest denominated of government.
    Is that more fancy Party Player Lawyer talk ?

You receive no services provided by your town...because you live on a county road? Ha ha hee hee ho ho! By the way just because you don't avail yourself of a service thats your choice doesn't mean it's not available for your use.
    Could you name some services I receive ?

Is that more fancy Party Player Lawyer talk ?
    No, it is what anyone who stayed awake in middle school civics class would know.

You should hire a lawyer to sue your school district if you were allowed to graduate without knowing the majority voting rules.

If you don't know don't expect others to figure it out for you. You said you got no services because you live on a county road.

Police, fire and courts come mind first. Dog catcher, parks, brush and leaf pick up maybe...you know all that usless stuff you like to pay for.

Basically stuff demanded by some people who force everyone to pay for their wants and needs.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Basically stuff demanded by some people who force everyone to pay for their wants and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Be careful with that statement. Same can be said about libraries and senior centers. Correct?
    Umm, no. Either your property has access to public water and public sewer or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you have to have a well and a septic system. Access to public water and sewer is limited to only people who live in a certain part (or parts) of a town. Town libraries and senior centers are NOT limited to only people who live in a certain part of a town.

Most people with wells and septic do still pay maintenance fees - if you know one - ask them to look at their property tax statements. They pay fees for services they don't get.

I live on a county road - I pay all the same taxes everyone else does and receive no services provided by the Town. Research before making a statement of that sort.
    This is a bunch of crock. You do NOT pay user fees for public water and public sewer unless your property is hooked into the public water or sewer system. If your town has a public water/sewer system for the entire town, then all properties in the town are responsible for the debt the town incurred to build it whether property owners choose to use them or not; however, all properties in the town then have access to public water/sewer.

Town governments are responsible for assessments, zoning regulations and enforcement, maintenance of all town roads, local ordinances and laws like those dealing with operating businesses, noise, dumping refuse, various kinds of unacceptable behavior, speed limits, location of stop signs, parking regulations, dog licenses, gravel mining, etc. The towns issue permits and licenses of all kinds, maintain the assessment rolls, hold town courts for minor infractions, etc. Some towns provide other services like town police forces or libraries or build/maintain parks, boat launches, fishing piers, etc. In larger towns, EMT and fire services are partially funded by tax monies.

Your claim only underscores your ignorance.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information