Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erie County Grand Jury Subpoenas Contract Infor from Buffalo And Amherst

Erie County Grand Jury Subpoenas Contract Infor from Buffalo And Amherst

Erie County District Attorney Frank Clark tells
    Channel Two News that subpoenas were issued for
    contract information from Buffalo City Hall and the Town of Amherst.

"We're talking about public corruption. The focus is criminal conduct," said Clark.

Clark says he cannot release all details because it is a Grand Jury matter.

But he does confirm that the investigation involves contracts for construction projects between the years 2002 and 2005. The records were summoned from Buffalo City Hall and the Town of Amherst.

"Just because an investigation has started, doesn't mean someone is guilty of criminal conduct," added the Erie County D.A.

A Buffalo City Hall official confirms that subpoeanas for records were given to the City's Corporation Counsel who handles legal matters for the city.

The requested records involve travel vouchers and other expenses for city officials and employees in the previous administration of Mayor Masiello.

The big question: did City of Buffalo Public Works employees and Town of Amherst workers get gifts and vacations in exchange for pushing construction contracts towards certain companies.

All of the documents have to be sent to the Erie County D.A.'s office by May 3rd.

"It is a very monumental task to assemble the information that has been requested. The request for informaiton pertains to contracts, documents, records, and travel related information," said City of Buffalo Attorney Alisa A. Lukasiewicz.

2 On Your Side did talk to Public Works Commissioner Joe Giambra about the Grand Jury investigation.

"We're going to give the District Attorney eveything that he asked for, and disclose it fully. Whatever they request, we will get them," said Giambra.

When 2 On Your Side Reporter Stefan Mychajliw asked Giambra the following question, City Attorney Lukasiewicz jumped in to answer.

Mychajliw: "Did anyone in your office accept gifts or trips from people who have done business with the City?"

Lukasiewicz: "At this point, it's inappropriate to comment on the specifics of the Grand Jury's investigation."

An investigation Clark believes could last anywhere from six to nine months.

"If I had all the answers, I wouldn't have sent the subpoenas out," added Clark

http://wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=37297
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Public Works Commissioner Joe Giambra didn't say no it can't be happening. Why would it be something the lawyer said he couldn't comment on.

No formal charges yet? Im guessing thats the reason he will use.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    No formal charges yet? Im guessing thats the reason he will use.
    Union's Clark doing the investigation? perhaps then we'll need to investigate the investigator.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That did cross my mind. Doesn't the state have an "investigation" department that could over see what Clark does. For as much as this crap we hear there never seems to be a lot of end results from him looking into things. Like they go through the motions to quiet the public to protect thier political interests.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

never seems to be a lot of end results from him looking into things. Like they go through the motions to quiet the public to protect thier political interests.
    "Just because an investigation has started, doesn't mean someone is guilty of criminal conduct," added the Erie County D.A.

already

20k threshold

I understand that contracts under 20k are awarded without having to go through the "sealed bidding process". I don't know the amount of the contracts in question, but I doubt that process could be circumvented, without the project being deemed an emergency job, or "fast tracked" as Giambra did with the building of the new WNY Police station. The only reason I could see trips involved would be for the contractor to exhibit or show off a project already completed by his/her company. There is the possibility too that the initial project contract was awarded for under 20k, then change orders were added to inflate that number. I hear that is quite common. I know that occurred in the Giambra administration, but I never heard of any trips being offered to those who select the contractors. I think there lies the conflict. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    Ithen change orders were added to inflate that number. I hear that is quite common. I know that occurred in the Giambra administration,.
    sure you know that. sure you do.

You union boys use the word Giambra as a buzzword for distraction. You folks hate Giambra because he defected from your pocket and now he's actively against labor's corrupt political influences that converted WNY to crap.

Corrupted change orders on public projects are a union contractor/union politician specialty. If you looked at the history of convictions on public jobs I bet you'll find most are union contractors involved. But corrupt change orders are an unfortunate fact of life in the development/construction/service industries, both private and public. The laws against it are there and enforceable.

"I know that occurred in the Giambra administration" if you knew this your union would be all over it and have it exposed and prosecuted. Why didnt you? What proof is there? Or did you just make that up? Or was there a union contractor involved?

Giambra is merely a minor and temporary nuisance in WNY.

The horribly destructive problem in WNY is unions and union politicians.

Last edited by Boost Buffalo; April 23rd, 2006 at 10:43 AM.

Here we go again. Time to bash the unions on something that has nothing to do with unions.
    The issue is about appointed administration people (like Public works commissoner Joe Giambra) who influence the awarding contracts to private vendors, while accepting gratuities (such as florida golf excersions and trade shows in Las Vegas) from some of those vendors they awarded contracts too.
    If this goes where I think it is going there will be at least three people indicted, two of which are not union employees and one who shouldn't be.
    This was talked about here before by me and others. It was all done during the Masiello Administration and will not be tolerated by Brown. I wouldn't be surprized if some one in Browns own administration didn't drop a quarter to call the DA.
    The public sector unions are glad to see this. That type of corruption hurts us both ways, as city employees who get shafted by lesser quality equipment these deals often bring about, and as taxpayers who happen to work for the city and are getting shortchanged like the rest of you by this nonsense.
    This shows the risk of awarding public sector work to private contractors. Corrupt administrators and elected officials.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Buffalo
    Union's Clark doing the investigation? perhaps then we'll need to investigate the investigator.
    Where do unions come in to play? This remark is so far out in left feild from the situation back on earth.
    Really sounds stupid.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

biased against Unions

Boost, your obvious disdain for Unions has distorted your thinking. I think your train of thought is a bit off. You don't know that this is a Union firm that is being looked at, if they are even looking at the Firm. I think their interest lies in the Politicos, to determine if their awarding of contracts was somehow influenced. I think that is the underlying issue. Talk about stereotypical, I think you are racist against Unions. But enough about that, time will tell what happens with this, and as Citymouse pointed out, How is Clark , Union ? That is an elected position, as you know.
    They hate us till they need us.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    YEP, unions have nothing to do with this in this case. I even had other unionites tell me this crap happens in buffalo and other areas in WNY.

I'm just surprize people in the system, union or not, didn't whistle blow when stuff like this happens. It hurts everyone including the unions themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PBAguy

I think your train of thought is a bit off. You don't know that this is a Union firm that is being looked at, if they are even looking at the Firm. I think their interest lies in the Politicos, to determine if their awarding of contracts was somehow influenced.
    PBA, my train of thought is off? How so? It seems we agree on the matter of Clark and this alleged political corruption. My point is about politician Clark being the one investigating his own party affiliates. I would prefer the FBI, or a private auditor do the research in this particular case. And let the can of worms open wide.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    I'm just surprize people in the system, union or not, didn't whistle blow when stuff like this happens.
    You can only whistle blow when your own lips are clean.

I don't think Clark is corrupt

I don't know what I wrote to make you think that. What I said was that he is elected, therefore not in any Union that I know of. The guy has a job that makes him look at all sides of the law. I know it it frustrating sometimes, the laws aren't perfectly written. I realize this when you go to trial. Alot of different things are brought up. Things you wouldn't think are relevant to a story. Now in this case if the contracts were awarded illegally then there is a crime. But if the contracts were awarded legally, then it becomes an ethical question as to whether or not any trips were taken that were paid for by a contractor. No crime committed, ethically wrong, but not a criminal act. I have no idea what this investigation entails so it is foolish for me to comment on it. I heard the City can choose whoever it wants for projects under 20k. And I don't even know if that is factual. But if the work done came in under that number, again, I don't think they'll find wrongdoing. Maybe they'll drop that number to 10k in the future but this is all speculation.
    They hate us till they need us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information