Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patchin buys new trucks

Patchin buys new trucks

At a special meeting held last night the majority of members of Patchin fire company voted yes to purchase a new fire truck and a used SUV. Chief Joe made the proposal to sell 3 of their current trucks. One of them is only 5 years old. Most fire companies keep their trucks 20-25 years. The other 2 trucks Patchin is selling are less then 15 years old. This current purchase will put Patchin in debt for 15 years. Including the 2 new trucks Patchin has purchased 7 trucks in the past 15 years. And the loans on the trucks they are selling aren't even paid off yet. They still owe over $300,000 on them.
    Last edited by boston; August 28th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Uh ohh, you're going to take a lot of heat for questioning the beloved fire company. They can do what ever they want. Its for the community... remember? Good luck getting any elected official to throw up the red flag on fire company spending. They wouldn't touch the issue, don't want the supposed black eye but something needs to be said. 94 volunteer fire companies in Erie County.... NINETY FOUR... and I'd say 94% of them are reckless with their spending and grossly over funded.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

And Patchins lack of manpower was apparent Monday morning when they never made it out to help North Boston at a fire in an apartment building. Time for something to be done with Patchins lack of leadership and lacking members. Only about 20 left.

Joe and Kristie are bragging how they are saving Patchin fire company money by buying this new truck. Currently Patchin is in debt for $390,000 that would be paid off in 5 years at their current payment schedule. So they are going to sell 3 trucks to pay off that loan then purchase a new truck that will cost them $480,000. And they are financing it for 15 years. Looks to me they will be spending an additional $90,000 not saving anything. And $13,000 for a used SUV to respond to EMS calls with. So that's a total of $103,000 over their current debt. I don't get how this is saving money.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Ask them to show your community the figures on the savings.

X Marks the Spot 2
    Sounds like to me that boston is a member of the patchin fire co with all the information he puts on here and in my opinion if all u can do is bash the company on here just leave it your obviously not happy with them

Sorry Joe....errr I mean X Marks The Spot 2. I'm not going anywhere. You're just like Jimmy. Lets sell something so we can get something new and shiny and put the company further in debt. You didn't say anything about my facts and figures being wrong so they must be accurate. Chief Joe is putting the fire company further in debt.

Who is making these ridiculous truck purchasing decisions? Is there a committee to research the financing and feasibility of such a large purchase? I certainly hope there is oversight in the truck buying business and not just Chief Joe picking out a random shiny truck because the salesman told him it's the truck he needs. It seems this purchase came about quick.Was the committee diligent and take the time to spec out the best truck to serve Boston residents for the next twenty years? Is this the best use tax dollars? Don't most company's spend a year or more planning, researching, and securing the best possible financing for the purchase of a new piece of apparatus? Oh wait, Patchin isn't like most fire companies. Really Joe, X Marks the Spot 2? Is that really all you could come up with? Darn copy cats!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by X Marks the Spot 2 View Post
    Sounds like to me that boston is a member of the patchin fire co with all the information he puts on here and in my opinion if all u can do is bash the company on here just leave it your obviously not happy with them

What is wrong with questioning how money is being spent?

Maybe you don't have an issue with paying more to live in your home but others in your community might. It becomes difficult for someone living on a fixed income to keep up with living expenses in some cases.

What I noticed are various groups don't seem to take that into consideration when it comes to their spending habits. We currently have people trying to put political has beens/supporters into positions at the ECWA, we just saw a family member of our county exec go from one department then finally to the board of elections and so on.

Purchasing equipment that really isn't needed is just as bad because in the end the money comes out of a property owners pocket. Right?

If you need a truck you do have to get one.

At a special meeting held last night the majority of members of Patchin fire company voted yes to purchase a new fire truck and a used SUV. Chief Joe made the proposal to sell 3 of their current trucks. One of them is only 5 years old. Most fire companies keep their trucks 20-25 years. The other 2 trucks Patchin is selling are less then 15 years old. This current purchase will put Patchin in debt for 15 years. Including the 2 new trucks Patchin has purchased 7 trucks in the past 15 years. And the loans on the trucks they are selling aren't even paid off yet. They still owe over $300,000 on them.
    What was wrong with the three current trucks the Chief wants to sell? One was only 5 years old as state. Correct?

Has the group really purchased 5 trucks in the last 15 years 7 including the 2 new purchases? That is like a truck every 2 or so years. Are these trucks being worn out because you guys are going on that many calls?

WNYRESIDENT in 1999 Patchin sold their 1991 rescue truck and a 1995 tanker and purchased a new pumper tanker and a quint. In 03 or 04 they bought a Ford Excursion to use for EMS calls. In 2008 they purchased a new pumper and a new rescue truck. In 2010 they sold the Excursion for $4,000. Non of their trucks see much use. Patchin is dispatched to approximately 60 EMS calls and 40 fire or non EMS calls per year.

Quote Originally Posted by boston View Post
    WNYRESIDENT in 1999 Patchin sold their 1991 rescue truck and a 1995 tanker and purchased a new pumper tanker and a quint. In 03 or 04 they bought a Ford Excursion to use for EMS calls. In 2008 they purchased a new pumper and a new rescue truck. In 2010 they sold the Excursion for $4,000. Non of their trucks see much use. Patchin is dispatched to approximately 60 EMS calls and 40 fire or non EMS calls per year.
    If those figures are correct the town should consolidate the company. Either make it a neighboring companies station two or close and eliminate the district all together. Better yet we should have a county wide fire department .
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do you think it these were wise purchases?

Seriously if equipment is really needed you do have to replace it. But to just replace items for no other reason to just replace them seems a waste of money and time.

WNYresident no I don't think these are wise purchases. I don't think Patchin has made a wise purchase in years.

Quote Originally Posted by boston View Post
    WNYresident no I don't think these are wise purchases. I don't think Patchin has made a wise purchase in years.
    I agree. This purchase is makes zero sense. Just more fuzzy math to make us all believe this is the the answer taxpayers have been waiting for. The purchase puts the company's finances in just as bad shape as before. Stupid decisions by stupid people. Enough is enough! Why can't Patchin ever get it right? They have wasted millions in tax dollars over the years. They have always been the black sheep of the fire service in Erie County and for good reason. Ask any fire about Patchin and they'll laugh. Patchin Fire Company has given our town a bad name for long enough. I dread walking in the diner on a Saturday mornings and listening to the residents of this town question and complain about the decisions Patchin makes, their behavior, poor leadership, and the poor quality of service provided. The taxpayers have spoken and deserve better!

Doesn't the Town Board have a say in this? After all it is our tax dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information