Thread: At least 100 Buffalo educators incorrectly classified as “effective”

Tony Fracasso - Admin

At least 100 Buffalo educators incorrectly classified as “effective”

At least 100 Buffalo educators incorrectly classified as “effective”

It appears that more than 100 Buffalo Public Schools teachers and principals received ratings of “effective” or “highly effective” when in fact, according to state measures, they weren’t effective at all.
    Read more in the Buffalo News

Honestly this doesn't surprise me at all. Groups of people trying to cover their own butts.

No problem - just give them more money so they can go to school - preferably outside of Buffalo !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

The ratings system is a joke. It's like a hospital administrator with no surgical training walking into an operating room and judging the surgeon's ability by their technique. If you want real education reform bring back the local diploma.

If you want real education reform...
    Eliminate government education.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    The ratings system is a joke. It's like a hospital administrator with no surgical training walking into an operating room and judging the surgeon's ability by their technique. If you want real education reform bring back the local diploma.
    Doctor....the patient has expired, our billing department will get the invoice out promptly.

Holy smokes - I think the Union heard me ! - Hurry, get the contract - retire quickly - Cuomo wasn't kidding !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    No problem - just give them more money so they can go to school - preferably outside of Buffalo !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I totally agree with this.

It's nothing like this. Nothing at all.

The ability of a surgeon is judged by the outcome of the procedure. Just as the ability of a teachers should be judged by the outcome of the student.

Of course for both there are multiple external factors. A surgeon operating on an obese patient who has smoked for 25 years is going be different than operating on a healthy patient who is the correct weight, does not smoke and works out 4 times a week. Just as a teacher who has to educate a kid who does not have any support at home and who is in the classroom on a empty stomach is different than a kid from a healthy home and a full belly. Nobody is trying to say that teaching in the city is the same as teaching in other districts.

The challenge with selfish teachers like yourself is that you refuse to allow items that can improve the outcome of the student to be implemented because those tools do not benefit you directly and in fact take away from your personal advancement in regards to your compensation structure.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The challenge with selfish teachers like yourself is that you refuse to allow items that can improve the outcome of the student to be implemented because those tools do not benefit you directly and in fact take away from your personal advancement in regards to your compensation structure.
    What items would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    It's nothing like this. Nothing at all.

The ability of a surgeon is judged by the outcome of the procedure. Just as the ability of a teachers should be judged by the outcome of the student.

Of course for both there are multiple external factors. A surgeon operating on an obese patient who has smoked for 25 years is going be different than operating on a healthy patient who is the correct weight, does not smoke and works out 4 times a week. Just as a teacher who has to educate a kid who does not have any support at home and who is in the classroom on a empty stomach is different than a kid from a healthy home and a full belly. Nobody is trying to say that teaching in the city is the same as teaching in other districts.

Incidentally, what do you know about the ratings system, APPR and it's implementation as SED law 3012-c. Of course, it's like this. People who spent very little time or none at all in the classroom crafted policy to get $700M in RtTT funding. 3012-c has no evidence to suggest that teaching will improve as a result of it's implementation.

Of course people who implemented the APPR suggest that teachers obtain the same results despite the background of the students. People have insisted that the same results on standardized tests can be obtained despite the challenges and language differences that an urban environment presents versus, say, a wealthy suburban environment. While poverty, in and of itself, is not an impediment to becoming educated, it creates other challenges. Cuomo has suggested that 1% of teachers being ineffective is too little. What number would satisfy him and people like you?

You also suggest that I would refuse to allow items that can improve the outcome of the student to be implemented. If you use the standardized testing tools to measure educational attainment then yes, I would likely oppose allocation of resources that portends to improve such outcomes because NOBODY has moved the dial on standardized test scores in a statistically significant way. Now, if you are suggesting, that for instance, I don't take a pay raise, but my student caseload drops from 145 to 100, then I could agree with such an investment. If you are suggesting that instead of a raise, that I get support and equipment so that I can do REAL science instead of pseudo-science, then yes, I could agree with that.

There are lots of assumptions you make about me, and most of them are wrong. Keep feeding yourself that wonderful soundbite about dem yoonions and outrageous demands etc. Furthermore, you should argue that suburban teachers make too much and that their salaries ought to be brought in line with what teachers in Buffalo make.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What items would that be?
    He's referring to job incentives, economic growth, etc., all of which would go toward "educated" residents first and would ultimately do little to assist those in greatest need. However, neighborhood stabilization efforts, home-ownership incentives (coupled with home-ownership workshops / training), social welfare reform and corporate welfare reform, could actually make a dent in some of the problems educators see. Namely, destabilized and transient communities.

Thread Information