Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why keep the Marine Drive Apartments?

Keep the Skyway and get rid of the Marine Drive Projects. There would be a lot more open space to develop and the whole area would flow better from the marina to the Buffalo River. People living on section 8 don't need water front property.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Why tear down Marine Drive Apartments when there are 28 miles of shoreline. And then have to build projects or elderly apartments someplace else?
    I think you misjudge the population of those apartments anyway. Why not look into it a little deeper?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    location location location.

Why build new projects anyways? There are countless vacant homes throughout Erie County and in Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    location location location.

Why build new projects anyways? There are countless vacant homes throughout Erie County and in Buffalo.
    Sounds like a good deal for any MOTIVATED person. Lets see how motivated they really are.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why keep projects or build new ones when there are SO many vacant buildings in Erie County/Buffalo/Cheektowaga etc?

I have been told that there are numerous City employees who live in those apartments? Is that true? If so why?

I can easily see taking care of the elderly or the truly disabled but from what I have been told that quite a few are able bodied who are in these apartments.

How did "projects" get started in the first place. I have been skimming old news papers but I haven't found who was at the bottom of starting these.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Why keep projects or build new ones when there are SO many vacant buildings in Erie County/Buffalo/Cheektowaga etc?

I have been told that there are numerous City employees who live in those apartments? Is that true? If so why?

I can easily see taking care of the elderly or the truly disabled but from what I have been told that quite a few are able bodied who are in these apartments.

How did "projects" get started in the first place. I have been skimming old news papers but I haven't found who was at the bottom of starting these.
    REBECCA PARK in the Riverside area of Buffalo was also a politically connected grab for "connected" city employees...believe it was a $20, 000 subsidy that was forgiven if homeowner stayed there at least 10 years...ahhhh the city taking care of its own..

Didn't Mayor Griffins brother get one of those subsidized homes - among other connected people? Try and find out how many stayed in them after the subsidized period ran out.

Yes, the marine drive and the subsidized apartments on the water front/end of Hertel Ave are also riddled with questionable tenants.

So give the questionable tenants the boot and help some needed seniors.

Why turn them over to be tax subsidized by IDA and Hud ventures for the wealthy ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Color Run has neighbors seeing red

That’s what Marine Drive apartment resident Lynn Licata says about another Color Run coming through her neighborhood.

The 5K race celebrates healthiness and happiness by spraying a powdery paint on the runners in different locations as they run the course. Last year a few cars around Marine Drive ended up slightly colored but it washed right off.

http://wivb.com/2014/08/15/color-run...rs-seeing-red/

I don't understand the obsession with marine drive apartments and wanting to tear them down. There are bigger problems in the city... if this can even be considered a problem.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm just curious why they came to be in he first place. They are there so there is no reason to knock them down just to do so... I don't know exactly who lives in them but are they actually subsidized? If so why?

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with marine drive apartments and wanting to tear them down. There are bigger problems in the city... if this can even be considered a problem.
    Go look at Google Earth.

http://www.buffaloplace.com/PopupLeaf/MarineDrive/59

Marine Drive Apartments
    205 Marine Drive
    Buffalo, NY 14202
    716/856-5871
    marine.drive@live.com
    Rental Range: $305 - $576
    Bedrooms: 1 - 4
    In 1951, the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority built Dante Place, a seven building complex overlooking the Buffalo River. The funds used to build this complex came from the State of New York, with the stipulation that the buildings be used to provide affordable housing for low income persons. In the 1960's, a tenant association was formed to manage the properties. A new, nonprofit professional property management group - Erie Regional HDC started providing professional building management in 2007. The buildings are on a very attractive location for residents who want to enjoy our beautiful waterfront at a reasonable rent.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Go look at Google Earth.
    I'm fully aware of their location. I walk by them all the time.

What's really stupid is that canalside, the inner harbor, and erie basin marina are still full of empty development sites, and acres and acres of surface parking lots, but instead of pushing to get those developed you guys want to tear down an actual densely populated apartment complex that has people living there and which even pays property taxes. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Where exactly are you going to develop at canalside. Its basically the board walk and a few hundred feet of grass to the skyway. There is no room to put buildings on.

Thumbs up I VOTE : NO let them stay !

Thank Goodness the Vamp has lost ground on the tear down issue -

The only people who want the Marine Drive apartments down are developers who see another possible tax dollar subsidized development.

Its a wonderful group of rent controlled housing units - has a good mix of residents of all ages. For the most part people who live there take pride in their apartments and surrounding area.

I have been in those buildings literaly hundreds of times - they come under attack by developers every couple years. Some outsiders wanted them turned into condo's - some wanted them torn down.

The only thing that raises this issue is "MONEY" -

Some say why have people paying so little (Rental Range: $305 - $576 Bedrooms: 1 - 4) - when we can collect higher rents - more taxes simply by displaced the vary same people who these buildings were built to house.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information