Tonawanda School district enrollment drops 10%, staffing increases 32%

2000:
    Enrollment 2400
    Teachers 162
    2005:
    Enrollment 2150 (- 10.4%)
    Teachers 214 (+ 32.0%)

Per Buffalo News 4/12/06

New superintendent blames special ed and No Child Left Behind.

Hooray, I hope my taxes go way, way up!

I also like that fact that I'm paying for a summer breakfast/lunch program (thru my school distrct) for ANYONE under the age of 18, not just "disadvantaged" students. A-N-Y-O-N-E.

B*stards.

moonshine
    I also like that fact that I'm paying for a summer breakfast/lunch program (thru my school distrct) for ANYONE under the age of 18, not just "disadvantaged" students. A-N-Y-O-N-E.
    Don't forget the D.A.R.E car. We'd be a city of drug users, prostitutes, and polly-wogs if we didn't send an officer to deliver that car in front of the school every morning. I drop my bong in panicky fear every morning I drive by. You'd think they would park it on the corner of Morgan and Gibson where all the kids smoke-up before going to prison, ahem...school. Maybe we could get our underworked and overpaid police force to arrest all the kids so the state can pay for their "education".

This year might be a good year to run for the school "bored". Not much competition. You think the locals would vote for a guy who wants to eliminate public schools?

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine
    Don't forget the D.A.R.E car. We'd be a city of drug users, prostitutes, and polly-wogs if we didn't send an officer to deliver that car in front of the school every morning. I drop my bong in panicky fear every morning I drive by. You'd think they would park it on the corner of Morgan and Gibson where all the kids smoke-up before going to prison, ahem...school. Maybe we could get our underworked and overpaid police force to arrest all the kids so the state can pay for their "education".

This year might be a good year to run for the school "bored". Not much competition. You think the locals would vote for a guy who wants to eliminate public schools?
    Well you'd have at least two votes, assuming that you'd vote for yourself. Where are all the parents and teachers now that this info came out? I'm referring to the ones that plastered all the "vote for our huge budget increase" flyers all over town a year or two ago?

And I don't even want to think of the TPD. Whats with all of the younger ones with the shaved heads? Is that supposed to be some kind of intimidation thing? What's next, tattoos and motorcycle chains?
    Last edited by Effigy; April 13th, 2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: misspelled word

UMMMM .... How about the whole story before you start screaming?

Enrollment declining in Tonawanda schools
    By MARK CIEMCIOCH
    Northtowns Correspondent
    4/12/2006
    As the Tonawanda City School District considers its budget for next year, future superintendent Barbara Peters reported Tuesday that enrollment has decreased the past six years, while staffing levels have increased.

"[Enrollment] is definitely in a steady decline," said Peters, who will become superintendent in July and now serves as assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction. "The projection is that this trend will continue. There are much smaller classes coming up."

Although Peters said many of the staff increases were due to improving instructional programs in the district, the decline in school-age population within the city caused some concern that Tonawanda is overstaffed.
    According to the report, Tonawanda's enrollment dropped from about 2,400 students in 2000 to 2,150 in 2005. Meanwhile, the number of teachers in the district rose from 162 in 2001-02 to 214 this academic year.
    The district added more faculty over the years to improve its special education program, lower or maintain class sizes and comply with the federal No Child Left Behind Act. Tonawanda's academic scores have improved in most subjects during this period.

Peters said when Tonawanda's larger high school classes graduate, the total enrollment will drop further because there are fewer younger children in the district. Enrollment figures also have an impact on how much state aid a district receives.

"If we stay at that low end [for enrollment], we really need to start looking at our staffing levels," Peters said. "We need to remain fiscally responsible - and remain in the guidelines this community expects us to be in."

According to the district's proposed budget for next year, Tonawanda will not replace four retiring teachers, and there is a possibility a fifth position will not be replaced either. Peters also recommended an additional four staffing cuts in 2007-08.

"There will probably be more as we go down that road," said Peters, adding that she isn't interested in simply cutting positions but examining the needs of each class each year and adjusting accordingly to the enrollment.
    Current Superintendent George Batterson said that while enrollment has decreased over the years, he believes the numbers in the early grades have stabilized. However, Tonawanda has made staffing cuts at the middle school because of fewer students.
    "This is something you're going to be looking at every year," Batterson said. "But it shouldn't impact the quality of education because you're just talking about declining enrollment."
    School Board President Gary Waterhouse said that the board will continue to monitor enrollment and class sizes, but was reluctant to start cutting staff if it hurts programs. Waterhouse noted some of it could be done through attrition.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Oh, ok, 205 instead of 214

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    UMMMM .... How about the whole story before you start screaming? Tonawanda will not replace four retiring teachers, and there is a possibility a fifth position will not be replaced either. Peters also recommended an additional four staffing cuts in 2007-08.
    That only makes it a 27% increase! Go ahead - double my taxes, it's all just f@#$$%ing ducky now. Hope your TUT union dues don't go up too much, you'll never be able to afford Disney World this year, with all those boat payments. When are you gonna sell the house on Brookside and move to Orchard Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    That only makes it a 27% increase! Go ahead - double my taxes, it's all just f@#$$%ing ducky now. Hope your TUT union dues don't go up too much, you'll never be able to afford Disney World this year, with all those boat payments. When are you gonna sell the house on Brookside and move to Orchard Park?

You will find out that Linda loves to defend the teachers union.Screw the Taliban bastards, Vote no on all school budgets.Lay as Many of these tax sucking dogs off as you can.

C.A.S.T.
    Citizens Against School Taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    UMMMM .... How about the whole story before you start screaming?

As the Tonawanda City School District considers its budget for next year, future superintendent Barbara Peters reported Tuesday that enrollment has decreased the past six years, while staffing levels have increased.

Great Name Peters,kind of short for Dick. Our Dick in the Niagara Wheatfield school district says our 2.95% increase is fair.Its only $50.00 on a $100,000 house. Hey Dick its my $50.00.So go screw yourself.

Smile Amazing

You guys amaze me its always lay off, fire these bastards....ect Not lets try to find a solution to the problem but the above.

First of all go ahead VOTE NO ON THE BUDGET... Cause what you prove?......

NOTHING AT ALL the budget still passes !

As a former Union Brother My Union Brothers and Sisters are not out to screw the Tax Payers. They are there to better themselve and theirFamily.

When a Civil Service Emploee or Teacher ask for something in a Contract its not just givin to them. It takes Board Members to approve what the Unions are asking for.

I would say 90% of the people on this LETS CRY , BITCH AND MOAN BLOB SITE have either wroked or had a family member work at either, Ford, Chevy, a Steel Plant or WestingHouse. they didnt want the job that Civil Service or Teachers have today. But all the sudden now that everyone is getting layed off The cry about how easy CIVIL SERVICE and TEACHERS have it.

Well guess what pal in the 30 plus years of CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYMENT I took nothing from anyone and earned every penny Ive earned and proud of it as well.

In all the time in the Town I used less then 10 days in the 30 plus years there.

So I guess what Im trying to say to you all is Civil Service and Teachers pay taxes as well as you do. And if you cant afford to live in WNY anylong the I90 isnt that far from where you are so hit and go WEST.

Quote Originally Posted by CheektowagaFan
    You guys amaze me its always lay off, fire these bastards....ect Not lets try to find a solution to the problem but the above.

As a former Union Brother My Union Brothers and Sisters are not out to screw the Tax Payers. They are there to better themselve and theirFamily.

When a Civil Service Emploee or Teacher ask for something in a Contract its not just givin to them. It takes Board Members to approve what the Unions are asking for.

I would say 90% of the people on this LETS CRY , BITCH AND MOAN BLOB SITE have either wroked or had a family member work at either, Ford, Chevy, a Steel Plant or WestingHouse. they didnt want the job that Civil Service or Teachers have today. But all the sudden now that everyone is getting layed off The cry about how easy CIVIL SERVICE and TEACHERS have it.

Well guess what pal in the 30 plus years of CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYMENT I took nothing from anyone and earned every penny Ive earned and proud of it as well.

In all the time in the Town I used less then 10 days in the 30 plus years there.

So I guess what Im trying to say to you all is Civil Service and Teachers pay taxes as well as you do. And if you cant afford to live in WNY anylong the I90 isnt that far from where you are so hit and go WEST.
    They do go West. And South. Why do think the Buffalo Niagara region's population keeps sinking?

I don't share the hostility that somes members of this board fell toward teachers and other public union members.

But there is one reality all of public employees need to grasp. This area is declining, and has been for 50 years.

Even in the so-called growing towns like Clarence, Lancaster and Orchard Park, school enrollment increases were no higher this year than 2 percent, according to the 2005-06 property tax report cards posted by state ed. Most every one of them had zero or a decrease in enrollment.

Yet that was barely reflected in spending and taxes. I know, I know.....blame soaring health care and pension costs. Or soaring costs of fuel or...whatever. There is a long list of reasons districts cite for the continue spending and tax increases.

But fair is fair. If enrollments drop enough, it is only fair that schools do something to reflect that in their spending, whether it means consolidating some services, not filling positions or even laying off personnel.

Why do I Have to Leave?

You guys amaze me its always lay off, fire these bastards....etc Not lets try to find a solution to the problem but the above.

First of all go ahead VOTE NO ON THE BUDGET... Cause what do you prove?......

As a former Union Brother My Union Brothers and Sisters are not out to screw the Tax Payers. They are there to better themselves and their Family.

When a Civil Service Employee or Teacher ask for something in a Contract its not just givin to them. It takes Board Members to approve what the Unions are asking for.

I would say 90% of the people on this LETS CRY , BITCH AND MOAN BLOB SITE have either worked or had a family member work at either, Ford, Chevy, a Steel Plant or WestingHouse. they didnt want the job that Civil Service or Teachers have today. But all the sudden now that everyone is getting laid off They cry about how easy CIVIL SERVICE and TEACHERS have it.

So I guess what Im trying to say to you all is Civil Service and Teachers pay taxes as well as you do. And if you cant afford to live in WNY any longer the I90 isnt that far from where you are so hit it and go WEST.
    Well Cheeky, I never said you didn't do a good job. I never said you took anything more than you were offered. Never. What I originally posted above is that the Tonawanda School District now has nearly one teacher for every 10 students. Isn't that ratio a bit skewed?

You point out that: "It takes Board Members to approve what the Unions are asking for."

When the board is made up of former and current (in other districts) teachers and administrators, where does the average taxpayer sit on the totem pole?

The City of Tonawanda is NOT Orchard Park. Many retirees/Senior Citizens here. I'll wager the average income is south of $25K/Yr.

We have a PD that's overstaffed by about 30%, and that's mostly Lieutenants and Captains (more $$$), NOT patrol Officers.

Don't you get it? The golden goose is dead, cooked and eaten. If I pull up stakes and leave as you suggest, that just adds to the burden of Moonshine. When he splits, it adds again to CGood. Unless you can explain how you can populate the City of Tonawanda with 18,000 Cops, Teachers and other Government employees who will be paying the tab, the equation just doesn't work. Ford, Chevy, the Steel Plants and Westinghouse are either cut way back or gone altogether. Their high wages paid for the nice CS job that you enjoyed and worked hard to earn your decent wages. The money is just not there anymore. It is unfortunate, but I'm afraid you will eventually have to follow your own advice -

If you want a high paying, great benefit, civil service job,
    "the I90 isnt that far from where you are so hit it and go WEST"

Because I CAN'T AFFORD IT ANYMORE.

Your last paragraph says it all, Taxes are out of controll and as long as you and the rest of the takers get theirs thats the way it goes.When the public sector and the school boards need money they raise taxes.In the private sector they lay people off.Ask your UAW Brothers and sisters who work for Ford and GM what happens when money runs out. Oh go tell the Auto worker who looses his house if he cant afford to live here to hit the road. I will fight you guys to my dieing day. Live with it its called Karma.
    Oh just Maybe, the reason Ford, GM, Westinghhouse had problems might just be becuase of high taxes and to much Government regulations. The Government owns people like you and they know it.You see predators always go after the weak. Its to tough out here for guys like you. Stay where your at you would just get in my way in the real world.. Oh about the school boards their staffed by ex teachers or spouses of teachers.Well the next seat open out here I am running just to screw with the status quo.I only care about the taxpayer.

C.A.S.T.
    Citizens Against School Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    Well Cheeky, I never said you didn't do a good job. I never said you took anything more than you were offered. Never. What I originally posted above is that the Tonawanda School District now has nearly one teacher for every 10 students. Isn't that ratio a bit skewed?

You point out that: "It takes Board Members to approve what the Unions are asking for."

When the board is made up of former and current (in other districts) teachers and administrators, where does the average taxpayer sit on the totem pole?

The City of Tonawanda is NOT Orchard Park. Many retirees/Senior Citizens here. I'll wager the average income is south of $25K/Yr.

We have a PD that's overstaffed by about 30%, and that's mostly Lieutenants and Captains (more $$$), NOT patrol Officers.

Don't you get it? The golden goose is dead, cooked and eaten. If I pull up stakes and leave as you suggest, that just adds to the burden of Moonshine. When he splits, it adds again to CGood. Unless you can explain how you can populate the City of Tonawanda with 18,000 Cops, Teachers and other Government employees who will be paying the tab, the equation just doesn't work. Ford, Chevy, the Steel Plants and Westinghouse are either cut way back or gone altogether. Their high wages paid for the nice CS job that you enjoyed and worked hard to earn your decent wages. The money is just not there anymore. It is unfortunate, but I'm afraid you will eventually have to follow your own advice -

If you want a high paying, great benefit, civil service job,
    "the I90 isnt that far from where you are so hit it and go WEST"

Because I CAN'T AFFORD IT ANYMORE.
    This is the best written post I have seen on these boards in years.Sir you nailed it.I am proud to have you aboard. Thank you. Some day every one in this NANNY state will be working for the Government. Its hard to beat a school budget when you have to get enough people out to overcome the employee turn out.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    This is the best written post I have seen on these boards in years. Sir you nailed it. I am proud to have you aboard. Thank you. Some day every one in this NANNY state will be working for the Government. Its hard to beat a school budget when you have to get enough people out to overcome the employee turn out.
    Thanks for the compliment, CGood. It's very depressing to realize that we're fighting for our lives out here, and are actually outnumbered by the folks who have the power to just TAKE our money, without even a reacharound to distract us.

As Cheeky points out above, it's useless to vote down a school budget, as the process is rigged. They'll cancel a field trip or two to get the kids whining (more), but won't address the real issues.

The Socialist education that our bureaucrats received in college for the past 25 or so years has been slowly but resolutely put into place while we were busy living our lives. NYS is a poster child for this, but I'm afraid it's spreading around the rest of the country. I'm fighting the good fight (as I'm sure you are, too), but when the rules are written by the very people you are opposing, it's tough to be optomistic.

I truly believe that the politcians WANT people to be poor and fearful, as then it's much easier to control them.

Going back to the Tonawanda Schools, I knew that there were problems all the way back in the early '80s when they changed "Lunch" to "Nutritional Recess". The crap that they fill these poor kids heads with really makes the bile rise. It really is no wonder half of them are on prescription meds, and another third get theirs on the street.

moonshine
    It really is no wonder half of them are on prescription meds, and another third get theirs on the street.
    Say it ain't so! You mean to tell me the D.A.R.E car parked in front of the prison, ahem...school, every day is ineffective?

DARE to keep your kids out of government schools.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine
    Say it ain't so! You mean to tell me the D.A.R.E car parked in front of the prison, ahem...school, every day is ineffective?

DARE to keep your kids out of government schools.
    Yeah, spend $10,000 a year to send them to private schools ... or keep 'em ignorant so they can put illegal immigrants out of work!!!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information