Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you shop anyway?

Where do you shop anyway?

Noticed a bit of discussion in the egg farm thread about different places to shop.

Myself, I try and make a trip to the southtowns to the Market in the Square in West Seneca. Kinda small and dumpy, but cheap and fits what I buy. Anything else (eggs included) I'll hit Wegmans. I wont go in Tops unless it's just a quick stop near home (on Grand Island).

Anybody else?

zarconis (meat) guercios (fresh veggies) anywhere cheap (canned stuff)
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Right behind Steven, at Zarconi and Guercio, plus ALDI for canned stuff and milk, cheddar cheese, bread (nice bread at Aldi) .... few times a year to get Wegman's brand coffee (our guilty pleasure at home) ... and TOPS for Lebanon Balogna - you must ALL try this! Lebanon County, Pennsylvania (not the nation) produces the most delicious smoked sausage.

Safeway and Winco for the basics....

Costco for bulk items (grannola bars, tuna, burgers, cereal, etc)

Whole Foods and Nugget for meat and veggies.

and

Trader Joes for wine.

No lack of choice out here in the spawl of N. Cali

I mostly shop at Quality Markets. I especially like the Quality in Falconer where I know everybody and the store is small enough to shop on my lunch hour!

The best place for fruits and veggies as well as many cold-cuts and Italian imports (not to mention potted and bedding plants) is Brigiotta's on Fairmount at Hallock!!!

I also hit Tops and Wegmans on occasion.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore
    Myself, I try and make a trip to the southtowns to the Market in the Square in West Seneca. Kinda small and dumpy, but cheap and fits what I buy. Anything else (eggs included) I'll hit Wegmans. I wont go in Tops unless it's just a quick stop near home (on Grand Island).
    So you travel from GI to WS to buy cheap food? Must be pretty cheap to offset the gas and tolls getting there and back.

I have other stuff to do there, so I was going anyway, ya know?

Unregistered
    If not for the convenience of shopping at Tops on Grand Island, I'd shop elsewhere too.

I love Dash's Market for meat, colvin/eggert
    used to shop at Tops when the Dash's had a franchise, but the one on union/geo.urban is just not the same w/o them ... ewwh, dirty too.

I wish we had a produce market in Snyder, next best thing is an awesome Wegman's on Alberta Drive, full of UB students too

I've got boyfriends at both Hayes Fish Market & Federal Meats 'round the block

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    I love Dash's Market for meat, colvin/eggert
    used to shop at Tops when the Dash's had a franchise, but the one on union/geo.urban is just not the same w/o them ... ewwh, dirty too.

I wish we had a produce market in Snyder, next best thing is an awesome Wegman's on Alberta Drive, full of UB students too

I've got boyfriends at both Hayes Fish Market & Federal Meats 'round the block
    Whoah boy! Buffy's gettin' hit on at the grocery stores again!

I admit that I go to the Wegman's on Alberta drive or Martin's if necessary. Most of the time we do a quick run to the Budwey's on Kenmore Ave... The only thing is Budwey's, being a more local yokel establishment, can't always keep up in regard to the stock of their items. Last week they RAN OUT OF HOT DOG BUNS FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD. Budwey's produce sometimes leaves much to be desired. But Budwey's has that homey, 1970's style supermarket kind of appeal to it.

Martin's (or "Mar-ins" as my husband and I jokingly call it... Get it? Like Ricky Mar-in?... Oh never mind...) is okay... But I still don't get why they just didn't keep it a Tops...

And men NEVER flirt with me at the grocery stores! Hmmmph! But then again my sweatpants and my pushing my toddler in a shopping cart probably don't get men that riled up... I mean it, one of these days I'm gonna have to get made up, pushed up and done up and see if I can get the guy at the fish counter to give ME some extra flounder!
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

speaking of shopping,

Best Buy coming to McKinley Mall

Best Buy has signed a long-term lease to occupy 30,000-square-feet in the town of Hamburg shopping center. The store is slated to open by June 2007.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I shop at Wegmans on Amherst, Budweys on Kenmore and Tops on Elmwood as little as possible. You can read my rant about Tops here.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

I hate to shop

But when I do I'd rather drive the extra 15 minutes to Budweys in NT. It's locally owned and their everyday prices are usually lower than Tops sale prices, and always lower than Tops regular prices.

I used to love Tops when it also was locally owned, but since Ahold took them over, the prices have skyrocketed ($9.00 a lb for store brand deli ham???) plus they almost always run out of sale items, and don't restock them until the rainchecks expire - got a raincheck (good for 60 days) back last December for Folgers coffee $4.99/34.5oz can, and yep still had none at the end of Feb. Customer service said it was due to hurricane Katrina. Funny how Wegmans, Budweys and BJs all had Folgers though.

Unregistered

I Hate to shop more than Effigy hates it

from Delaware District's Blog
    "Another big problem at Tops is out-of-stocks. I got fed up going in with a list of 10 or 12 items to buy and only finding 6 - 8 of the items on my list"
    That is my biggest beef with Tops. They run out of sale items long before the sale is over and they don't know when the next delivery is coming. It seems like they under stock sale items on purpose.

It's so frustrating as any other alternative forces me to leave the Island.

I think that grocery shopping in Western New York means that you are caught between two extremes: You either have the large, grandiose, over the top, stadium sized grocery stores like Wegmans, Martin's and the like or you have the little local yokel places like Budwey's, Dash's, Quality, etc.

It's hard to find a basic "middle of the road" grocery store.

Wegmans is okay but in my opinion they have been trying to be too "la dee da" in recent years. They are the "gourmet" grocery store. Most people don't really cook up gourmet meals with "complimentary wine selections" on a nightly basis. And do we really need patio furniture and espresso makers sold alongside of cereal and bread? Who REALLY buys patio furniture at the grocery store? But they do have better prices, I admit it.

Martin's is just weird... They are Tops but they are not Tops. They are Giant but they are not Giant. The last time I was in Martin's I started seeing Tops store brand labels on the foods on the shelf. What the heck? And why is the bread aisle hidden way off at the end of the store next to the cheese?

I miss the old Tops International. Back in the day it seemed like such a large and confusing store, but now I realize just how simple it was. I miss the old Wegmans too. When it was just the little grocery store with weird brown and orange painted walls.

With places like Dash's and Budwey's though you have to sacrifice selection for convenience and hominess... They don't have specialty items like Diaper Genie liners or odd brands of sauce. Sometimes the produce is a little brown or you have to fight with someone for that last kaiser roll...
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information