Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Senior Center

Lancaster Senior Center

Regarding Lancaster Senior Center on Oxford Avenue:

I was wondering if anyone knew what the rule was for "left over food" at Senior Center. Is there a law that says all left over food must be thrown away? I am no where near the age of being able to go there but am being told by friends of mine that staff orders lunch; normally too much and then takes leftovers home. Staff tells seniors that they "must" throw all extra food out due to health reasons. Seniors have noticed staff taking food home with them. I can't help but wonder (after all, our tax money pays for Senior Center) why left over food is not kept in fridge/freezer at Center? From what I understand, although there is a full service kitchen at Center, no one cooks and food is ALWAYS ordered in. How about keeping food and reuse for a buffet next day? How about donating to Meals on Wheels? I believe Meals on Wheels located in same building. Seniors only pay a few dollars for a meal and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is extra food being ordered to be taken home by staff. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money. Once again, I have no proof since I do not go to the Center. Any thoughts?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WHat was the point of a full kitchen if they order the meals in? Must they be heated in the kitchen before being served?

Do they cater parties at the center?

If the seniors are paying for the meals it's not take payer funds.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    WHat was the point of a full kitchen if they order the meals in? Must they be heated in the kitchen before being served?

Do they cater parties at the center?

If the seniors are paying for the meals it's not take payer funds.
    I am wondering why they need a full kitchen considering they do not use it. Food delivered hot & ready to eat.
    The way I understand it, seniors pay approximately $2.50 per meal with balance coming out of Senior Center budget monies. All food is ordered, not sure from where etc. In any case, seniors are wondering why extra food cannot be packaged & sold to them or at very least used for Meals on Wheels. I have to ask if they have catered parties.. not sure.

Stay on point here, namely, why is the staff taking it home? The surplus food could be put to better use. Is the staff over-odering so there is food for them to take home?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Stay on point here, namely, why is the staff taking it home? The surplus food could be put to better use. Is the staff over-odering so there is food for them to take home?
    That is what I am being told but since I do not go there, unable to prove it. I agree with food being put to better use. If staff is taking it, I consider that stealing. My opinion only. I also promised not to drop names of informants.

I never realized how many employees work at Senior Center. I wonder if they are ALL on payroll. I have to assume officers & board members are not. Why do we need three people for nutrition if they never cook meals?

Senior Center
    Contact Information:
    Mary Bartz, Director

Charlene Ciccarelli, Meals on Wheels, 716-683-3771
    Beverly Tanski, Judith Szczesniak, and Janice Streit, Nutrition
    Susan Arcese, Janice Korzeniewski, and Adam Myszka, Recreation/Outreach Staff

Officers:
    President, Norman Bastian
    Vice President, Rita Galbreath
    Treasurer, Jerry Sowinski
    Secretary, Claire Schlum

Board of Directors:
    Ann Ciszewski
    Estelle Jasiczak
    Raymond Johnson
    John Maccarone
    James Sterlace

Another "Family tree"

Cross reference most of those names to Town Employees - Parks, Highway, Town Government and such!

Like a local controlling party board member once said,
    "We take care of those who support us."
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So what is this place? Like a restaurant with take out? but they don't cook it there because it means they would have to cook... so they order out and use tax payers money to offset the cost of the setting?

Why not just let the place that cooks the food deliver it to the elderly instead of making them drive here to pick it up? You could cut ALL the cost of the building and give the elderly even better meals or more groceries.

If this place is subsidized my everyone what are the maximum earnings and savings you can have but still have your meals paid for by some one else? I'm just wondering.

So what is this place? Like a restaurant with take out? but they don't cook it there because it means they would have to cook... so they order out and use tax payers money to offset the cost of the setting?

Why not just let the place that cooks the food deliver it to the elderly instead of making them drive here to pick it up? You could cut ALL the cost of the building and give the elderly even better meals or more groceries.

If this place is subsidized my everyone what are the maximum earnings and savings you can have but still have your meals paid for by some one else? I'm just wondering.
    Senior Center is actually a great place where they go to play cards, exercise, learn crafts etc. They serve lunch everyday as well. Center gets senior's out of the house to socialize. The extra food issue is what gets to me. Are we paying to supply meals to the staff?

Senior Center

One other fact nothing to do with food issue...

During a past town board meeting, board promoted Senior Center Director to full time from part time status. Bob made it sound like it wasn't really costing tax payers anymore money since they were actually just "adding another part time person". Gee, I wonder why he forgot to mention benefits that are enjoyed with full time status. In any case, during July 20th meeting, he hired another part time person to help now full time director. I guess no one is supposed to notice.

All part of Mr.Giza's pay to play game

Even some(most) part-time Town Employees are actually eligible for NY State tax Funded Pension benefits and medical coverage.
    I don't know exactly what those who work at the senior center get.

Whenever Mr.Giza plays down the cost of an employee - its usually allot more than whats being shown/told publicly.

He likes to say things like,"Well their only part-time, so they don't get full time benefits." = translation= they probably wont make as much as full time workers but there are also benefits I am not telling you about and our supporters are always glad when they or family members get hired

PS - did you know that time in part-time jobs can help one accumulate pension credits and when it comes time for hiring full-time, that person is then deemed to be more qualified. The Unions don't recognized it for seniority - but those credits do affect benefits and pension.
    All tax funded!As Council Member Stempniak recently showed everyone - a Town Board Member is "Part-time" - but that time earned her a larger lifetime retirement check and she's earning more!
    Thanks Uncle Bobby.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Even some(most) part-time Town Employees are actually eligible for NY State tax Funded Pension benefits and medical coverage.
    I don't know exactly what those who work at the senior center get.

Whenever Mr.Giza plays down the cost of an employee - its usually allot more than whats being shown/told publicly.

He likes to say things like,"Well their only part-time, so they don't get full time benefits." = translation= they probably wont make as much as full time workers but there are also benefits I am not telling you about and our supporters are always glad when they or family members get hired

PS - did you know that time in part-time jobs can help one accumulate pension credits and when it comes time for hiring full-time, that person is then deemed to be more qualified. The Unions don't recognized it for seniority - but those credits do affect benefits and pension.
    All tax funded!As Council Member Stempniak recently showed everyone - a Town Board Member is "Part-time" - but that time earned her a larger lifetime retirement check and she's earning more!
    Thanks Uncle Bobby.
    Nice to know Lancaster taxpayers are great employers. The more I learn about this town, the more aggravated I become.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Senior Center is actually a great place where they go to play cards, exercise, learn crafts etc. They serve lunch everyday as well. Center gets senior's out of the house to socialize. The extra food issue is what gets to me. Are we paying to supply meals to the staff?
    Why have a seperate center? Why not just run it out of a volly hall? If an elderly person has a medical issue they are already there?

Why have a seperate center? Why not just run it out of a volly hall? If an elderly person has a medical issue they are already there?
    I can't argue with that question! Like I said we make a great employer, don't we? As far as medical issues, they don't even carry aspirin. Reason I am aware of that fact, one of the senior's had symptoms of a stoke and an ambulance was called. They were told to give her an aspirin but N/A.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What are the requires to qualify for subsidized means and entertainment?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information