Thread: Can you explain this?

Exclamation Can you explain this?

So a friend of mine mentions to me that Best Buy has SATA to USB dongle on sale for $20... COOL!~

So I bought one... works great for laptop drives... odd a regular desktop drive doesnt even power up... but the laptop drive works fine... thinking it could possibly be my USB hub, I try plugging said desktop hard drive, and dongle directly into my USB 3.0 jack on my motherboard... I get about 2" from plugging it in, computer shuts off.

WTF?

move it away, computer comes on... move it closer, computer shuts off...

did this like 5 or 6 times completely dumbfounded...

the hard drive and dongle are NOT powered, it gets its power from the USB bus, which for whatever reason, I get close to the tower with this dongle+ Hard drive, and bam computer shuts off, move it away, comes back on...

I have NEVER EVER experienced anything like this... and its not static discharge as the dongle and drive are a solid 2-3" from the back of the case...

I decided after the on off stuff to stop before i break something... Im just floored by this though!
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

The Feds are using the dongle to destroy the data you have collected on their conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    So a friend of mine mentions to me that Best Buy has SATA to USB dongle on sale for $20... COOL!~

So I bought one... works great for laptop drives... odd a regular desktop drive doesnt even power up... but the laptop drive works fine... thinking it could possibly be my USB hub, I try plugging said desktop hard drive, and dongle directly into my USB 3.0 jack on my motherboard... I get about 2" from plugging it in, computer shuts off.

WTF?

move it away, computer comes on... move it closer, computer shuts off...

did this like 5 or 6 times completely dumbfounded...

the hard drive and dongle are NOT powered, it gets its power from the USB bus, which for whatever reason, I get close to the tower with this dongle+ Hard drive, and bam computer shuts off, move it away, comes back on...

I have NEVER EVER experienced anything like this... and its not static discharge as the dongle and drive are a solid 2-3" from the back of the case...

I decided after the on off stuff to stop before i break something... Im just floored by this though!
    It's time to get back on your meds.

Georgia L Schlager

Take a video of it.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Thread Information