Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dems attempt to silence Free Speech

Dems attempt to silence Free Speech

From Scope, Inc-
    The Town of Hamburg, NY, a suburb of Buffalo, has issued a summons for violation of a sign posting ordnance to a 58 year old retiree and SCOPE member for posting anti-NYSAFE signs on the fence of his residence. The signs have been posted near the intersection of South Park Ave, and Scranton Road, a major thoroughfare in the Town, and have drawn the attention and support of many people.

After being harassed several times by a local Code Enforcement Officer (Building Inspector) the resident was mailed a summons and ordered to appear in the Town Court on February 21, 2014. The resident told the code officer and Town Officials that he was exercising his First Amendment rights to free speech in posting the signs criticizing the NY SAFE act. He also cited a 1994 US Supreme Court decision (Gilleo v Ladue) which prevents municipalities from regulating signs on private property with non-commercial messages relating to the exercise of free speech.

The home owner appeared in court where he was given a postponed date to hire an attorney and appear on Friday March 7th at 10:00 AM to answer the charges.

Any interested persons are invited to appear at Town of Hamburg Court 6100 South Park Ave. Hamburg NY 14075 on the above date in support of this man. The gentleman, a former Republican committeeman, believes that the summons is politically motivated by local party officials who are unhappy with the positive responses being received with the message signs against the SAFE Act. The signs, having been posted since August of 2013, were only written as a violation of the Town Ordnance after a new Town Board took office on January 1st, 2014 with a 2 to 1 Democrat majority, the previous majority having been 2 to 1 Republican. The prior Town Board did pass a resolution in 2013 condemning the passage of the SAFE Act.

Any concerned citizens or gun owners, or those supporting the Constitution and the right to free speech, are urged to contact the Town of Hamburg Chief Code Enforcement Officer, Mr. Kurt Allen at 716-649-6111 Ext. 2210 and express their opinion of this action. Concerned persons are also urged to call the office of the Hamburg Town Attorney who is prosecuting this man at 716- 649- 6111 ext. 2370 to express their outrage regarding this matter

Georgia L Schlager

He needs a banner that goes after the town of Hamburg now.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Just got off the phone with Mr. Allen, he says this is not politically motivated... haha, I mentioned how this was okay till the Democrats took over and he said I was mistaken.

I highly suggest all who care call, but you will not, for this is one of the rubber meets the roads issues and that is were the cowards hiding behind handles on SU take a walk.

Make be wrong.... call... report in.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Just called the Law Office, the lady answering the phone was wondering, why are people calling... I said the political witch hunt apparently of the new Democratic Town board in persecuting the free speech of a local citizen expressing his free speech rights is the reason.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Just called the Law Office, the lady answering the phone was wondering, why are people calling... I said the political witch hunt apparently of the new Democratic Town board in persecuting the free speech of a local citizen expressing his free speech rights is the reason.
    Thanks, Frank. I called and used your words.

Georgia L Schlager

I highly suggest all who care call, but you will not, for this is one of the rubber meets the roads issues and that is were the cowards hiding behind handles on SU take a walk.

Make be wrong.... call... report in.
    Easy does it Frank... we're all in this together.

I just called. The prosecutor and the Kurt Allen both didnt answer their phones but I left them a nice message. The line was busy for the first couple tries. Thats a good thing.
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; February 24th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.

Ya, I am wound up this morning... sorry. (hey Frank when are you not "wound" up? - passion can be an enemy at times I guess)

I need to get out of the house. Been locked in all winter.

Ya, I am wound up this morning... sorry. (hey Frank when are you not "wound" up? - passion can be an enemy at times I guess)

I need to get out of the house. Been locked in all winter.
    I drive by the sign often and take no issues with it. He can post what he wants on his property as far as I am concerned.

Exactly what code is the town saying he is violating? Is the sign to large?

Post on other social media sites !!!!!

Done - as I have a habit of taking things a bit farther - pass on these numbers to who ever might use them.
    It takes a few tries - but you will get through - I am also making a facebook public information post a other sites.
    This isn't about the signs - its about our rights and the right of free speech.

If they were political signs there'd be no court date !

Paralegal, Cindy Conlon 649-6111 Ext. 2370
    Town Prosecutor, Ext. 2373
    Deputy Town Attorney, Ext. 2372
    Town Attorney, Ext. 2371

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Town Board Councilman 649-6111 Ext. 2233
    Councilman Ext. 2238

Town Clerk's Office & Tax Department Town Clerk, 649-6111 Ext. 2360

Deputy Town Clerk, 646-1384 Ext. 2363
    Deputy Town Clerk, Ext. 2362

Town Supervisor's Office Town Supervisor, 649-6111 Ext. 2381
    Secretary, 649-6111 Ext. 2380
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Done - as I have a habit of taking things a bit farther - pass on these numbers to who ever might use them.
    It takes a few tries - but you will get through - I am also making a facebook public information post a other sites.
    This isn't about the signs - its about our rights and the right of free speech.
    Well and signs. Again, what exactly is the town alleging is the problem?

Heres how quick you can spread the word -

http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-4203817/

Click the link above - if you want to pass it on.

More to come .

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-4203817/

Click the link above - if you want to pass it on.

More to come .

"Speach"?? Also it conveniently still doesn't say what code he is violating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Well and signs. Again, what exactly is the town alleging is the problem?
    The article was vague regarding what sign law was allegedly violated

Georgia L Schlager

If you noticed, no local media has touched this story, so far. I emailed The Hamburg Sun editor, who was unaware of it. He said that he'll send the Hamburg town board reporter to follow up.

We'll see.

Georgia L Schlager

The town prosecutor actually called me back. He told me that the banner was in violation of the code because of its size and placement. He also told me the ordinance applies to commercial as well as private residential property regardless of the message. He said a person could put up a billboard up that said "I Love My Mom" and it would still be in violation. I advised him that myself and many people were not happy that this gentleman's 1st Amendment rights were being curtailed. I advised him that this ordinance does not trump 1st Amendment Rights in the United States Constitution. He told me that he takes the US Constitution very seriously. I told him apparently not because you are prosecuting this case.

Keep this sign up and get another one that blasts Nazi Hamburg, Germany. Maybe next they will send out the army vehicle they just bought, drive it through the guys fence and haul him off to jail. I'd have ten more banners up tomorrow if this were me.
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; February 24th, 2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Sick of the despotism.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information