Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how is one picked for a job in the goverment

Tony Fracasso - Admin

So how is one picked for a job in the goverment

OK a thought

One of the writers wrote..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By a 4 to 3 vote, the Amherst Town Board approved Darlene Carroll, currently our Town’s Assistant Finance Director, to be our first full time Purchasing Director. Her pay will be $73,000.00 a year. Darlene is a CPA who has worked for the town for five years.

The consensus in the auditorium was she is very capable. The only obstacle facing her is passing the Civil Service exam she must take in March. She must not only pass the test, her score must be among the top 3.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How about we try it this way. We look at the top companies in the area and who thier purchasing directors were. Now we know thier experience will be very valuable for the job. We tell them the position pays $50,000 or $60,000 and that's it. What is a very qualified person steps to the plate and says here's my resume i'll do it?

I'm not saying the canidate isn't good for the job but I was wondering how many people were interviewed?

Who will do the finance directing if she fills the purchasing position? Is this an added job duty on top of what she's doing? WHo's doing it now? What is her current salary now before the raise to $73,000 if she's the purchasing director?

Exactly what does a purchasing director do for a town?

I dont think a score on a civil service multiple choice test is what as a business person uses for experience. Could someone get us a copy of the exam? If experience isn't needed then why is the position paying $73,000 ? Thats a lot of money.

So does anyone in amherst know any purchasing agents that are very qualified for this position? Once again im' not saying the person considered for the job isn't qualified, im' just curious how large of a list of applicants were considered and what experince did they have.

If anyone knows of anyone that was a excellent purchasing director with purchasing experience you should tell them there's a possible position open.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What type of duties does a town purchasing director have?

I looked up "purchasing directors" on monster.com to see what the market bears and expects from a purchasing director.

I know these are not the exact same jobs. But a purchasing director must be basic as a position.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob....asing+directorOne example

They start at $80,000 with 8 years experience required in the field.

Example two

sbGUY27
    We have a purchasing agent at the company I work for.
    Actually 1 fulltime and a part-time. One does it with it with a highschool diploma. It's just a matter of scheduling how much and how often you need to buy something. then haggeling a price or shopping around. Purchasing agents here have a director but he is also in charge of other things. We don't need a full time purchasing director and this is the largest health insurer in the area and spreads across the state and the east coast.

If you own your own business and do most of your own supply shopping , then you can consider yourself your purchasing director.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well if that's the case how can a town justify a full time position for that. Exactly how many supplies does a town purchase? Or are they talking buying items such as concrete, asfault for road repairs, salt, furniture?

I think there should be one purchasing director based out of buffalo for WNY. This way we pool all purchasing as one group for all the towns that use that department

sbGUY27
    Now you sound like Giambra. But that is one of his good ideas.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

Unhappy Amherst plans to hired a new person to replace Darlene Carroll

The Town of Amherst is going to hiring someone to replace Miss Carroll. If Miss Carroll fails the Civil Service test, she will be given her old job back. The person that was hired 4 months earlier to replace her would be out of a job. When Supervisor Grelick went to Jane Woodward and asked her to write the reolution to hire Miiss Carroll, many eyes rolled . Grelick refused to sign here own town budget because this provision was in it. She fought hard not to have a purchasing director. What made our very confused Supervisor make an180 degree turn. Did she want the Republicans to look kindly at her, so at election time they will remember how Susan gave the Republicans a big lead to have their vendors chosen to service the Town of Amherst's needs? Does anybody believe Sue chose Darlene for any other reason but to give the Republican another chance of build up their War Crest for future campaigns.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by sbGUY27
    Now you sound like Giambra. But that is one of his good ideas.
    That is a good idea. Why do think major corporations do it that way with purchasing for the little items handled more locally per department.

Problem is who get's to control the department for purchasing. THey would then be able to funnel the purchasing to their buds. We have to stop that. It's all numbers not who you know. THat's how it will have to be. If we don't the only type of jobs we'll have in the future is: "would you like paper or plastic"

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH
    TRUTHFULLY, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW OR ARE RELATED TOO. WHAT POLICITAL PARTY YOU BELONG TOO. iF YOU CHECK ALL THE EMPLOYEES IN AMHERST,YOU WILL QUICKLY SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE WORKING FOR THE tOWN WHO ARE RELATED TO EACH OTHER. EXAMPLE PAUL BOWERS HAD HIS SON AND DAUGHTER WORKING FOR HIM IN ENGINEERING. THE LIST OF RELATIVES WORKING IN THE PLANT IS UNBELIEVEABLE. OTHER EXAMPLE IS THE PERSONAL DIRECTOR,WHO HAS TWO OF HIS WIVES WORKING FOR THE TOWN. I'M BEING AS HONEST AS I CAN BE.THERE IS A RARE TIME WHEN A PERSON ISN'T RELATED BUT IS RECOMMEND BY SOMEONE WITH AUTHORITY THAT MAYBE HIRED. sUPRVISOR gRELICK HAS A STRONG PREFERENCE TO THE SKIN COLOR OF THE PERSON APPLYING FOR A JOB IN AMHERST HAS TO BE WHITE. HER HIRING RECORD IN 8 YEARS HAVE SHOWN HER TO ANTI-BLACK IN HER HIRING PHILOSOPHY SHE DOESN'T HAVE ONE BLACK PERSON WORKING IN TOWN HALLI HAVE QUESTIONED HER ON THIS IN THE PAST, HER ANSWER WAS SIMPLY NONE HAVE BEEN QUALITY.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do we have any examples of a minority applying for a job and not recieving it? If none ever applied then don't add that to the mix. If minorities have applied and were turned down when they are more qualified than who was hired, then we have an issue.

So all you other town people in clarence, am - hurst , Cheektowaga, lancaster, etc.. Do you notice a rather high level of family in departments?

If we took the mayor, the county exec, and each superivisor and did a family tree trace of hired employees what would we find?

When it came time to scold an employee your related to do you turn the other way?

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH
    Talking with many Amherst Town hall workers the subject of how "white " Town Hall has remained all these years was achieved by design not chance. I have directly been told that we don't need these people working in our Town by an elected Amherst official Fighting in defense of hiring the best qualify person for a job has cost me many friends but truer friends have replaced them
    My son attended Williamsville South. He played on the varsity. His best friend also was on the varisty This young man developed a problem when his parents were both being transfer to a different state . My son's friend wanted to finish his last year of high school at Williamsville South. His parents and my wife and I agree that he could live with us that last year of high schoo
    Having this sharp young Afro-American youth being part of are lives in every aspect was truly an amazing learning lesson in how Afro- Americans are treating in Amherst. In the area of trying to obtain work, being out alone at night and stopped by the police and questioned why was he in this area. He would have to explain he lived with us.This left a souring feeling in his gut that he had to be stopped so many, many times. He love Williamsville South not only was he an outstanding basketball player but an honor student,who was involved in choir,set designs for the school plays and many fund raising events. The way he was treated in school helped balance the uglyiness of the real world in Amherst. He is now 28 years old and his an executive in a major Telephone Company ,which isn't located in this area. His own family, my son family and my family have taken several long vacations together and we still enjoy each other company. One last note this young man was my son's best man at his wedding. This post could be filled with stories of first hand knowledge of the smiling faces when being told no openings, no jobs but that will be in part of a novel I been writing about Amherst ,NY .So my answer is yes I do have first hand exiperience

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Hiring practices...

So basically our local elected leaders pick "thier" employees based on a multichoice test not really experience in the given field.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

SO WHAT,MY AUNT IS THE SUPERVISOR

It's really who you know. If our Supervisor hired by exiperience our Town wouldn't be in so much trouble. Taxes are sky high,scandals and a very strange lady making inportant decisons.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

DROP THE COLOR LINE IN AMHERST,SUPERVISOR GRELICK

MOST PEOPLE WOULD WANT THE BEST DOCTOR TO BE TREATING THEM, IF THE DOCTOR HAPPENS TO BE FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY OR A DIFFERENT RACE, IT REALLY DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENC. IF THE BEST MECHANIC IS FIXING YOUR CAR,WHO CARES WHERE HE OR SHE COMES FROM OR WHAT COLOR IS THEIR SKIN. MOST OF US WANT THE BEST PERSON TO TREAT OUR FAMILY IF ANYONE IS ILL. IN AMHERST THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE IN HIRING OF THE BEST PERSON DUE TO BIGORTY !
    AMHERST NEEDS BETTER PEOPLE IN THEIR GOVERNMENT AND THAT MEANS HIRING THE BEST. SO WHAT IF THEY HAPPENED TO BE A DIFFERENT RACE. SHE SHOULD INFORM HER PERSONAL DEPARTMENT THE COLOR LINE IS LIFTED BUT THEN THAT TAKES COURAGE. WE DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF PERSON RUNNING OUR TOWN. INSTEAD, WE HIRED JOE BLOW'S COUSIN, BECAUSE HE'S A COUSIN AND WHITE.
    WHAT A JOKE THANKSGIVINGS IS IF WE REALLY THINK THIS WAY AND DO NOTHING TO HELP, REALLY HELP OUR FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS. A LITTLE NOTE SEND TO OUR SUPERVISOR OR ANY TOWN LEADER THAT YOU DEMAND THIS TOWN DROP THE COLOR LINE AND HIRE WHOEVER IS THE BEST IS BEST FOR AMHERST AND YOURSELF

To Jimmy Cochran

Yeah Jimmy that's what we have to call you now! This trick is getting old - when you've got nothing - PLAY THE RACE CARD!
    What you and all other bleeding hearts need is a history lesson.
    All your liberalism and political corectness has come back to haunt you. What you are seeing is not injustice, it's not racism, and it's not bigotry. It is the harvest of affirmitive action after the seeds where thrown to the wind. These are the results of people being pushed through a phony system just because they happen to be a minority. The results are now showing up in the inability of many minorities not being able to perform the tasks they were supposed to be taught. It's not their fault. They were sold a bill of goods by the polititians and their so-called "leaders". It's a system where educators are afraid to fail a poor student for fear of being called a racist. A system that practices reverse discrimination by its very existence. A system that has no method of checks and balances, or accountibility - save the bottom line. And the bottom line is to put people through the system regardless of ability.
    You want the Supervisor to hire more minorities - that's fine.
    Just remember most civil service jobs require a test, one must finish in the top three to be eligible for hire, and must be an Amherst resident. All tests require skills in the field being sought and an education condusive to that skill, or a combination of both.
    This is the problem Mr. Cochran, no education, or a phony education, no skills, and no experience equals no civil service job.
    I know you'll say "there has got to be some qualified minorities out there" and I'd agree with you. They haven't applied for civil service because they can probaly get more in the private sector.
    Again you have made accusations without proper research.
    Get the numbers from the Town personnel dept. or Erie county civil service and show us some proof. These are public records and you should be able to access them.
    SHOW US THE PROOF MR. COCHRAN!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    diogenes,

Have you actually read what was posted in this thread before making your comment. The thread has nothing to do with minority hiring. I dont know why Jim through that in the mix to start with.

The point is a Civil servant test is not how people should be pick for a job that requires experience or schooling in a particular field. IE purchasing director. Just because you can study and pass the test doesn't mean you are a purchasing director. Most purchasing directors in the real world require according to what i have read on the internet more than 5 years experience in purchasing and a MBA. Not one said, hey if you school on a civil servant test we'll give you a job. Driving a garbage truck or a labor position is what a civil servant test is for. Thats my opinion and it may be wrong but when you start to attach titles to a position there should be experience for the position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information