Thread: Stony Rd flooding alleviation maintenance

Stony Rd flooding alleviation maintenance

County, Town push for creek maintenance at Stony Road to avoid flooding

Legislator Ted Morton and Town of Lancaster Supervisor Dino Fudoli met recently to discuss maintenance of Ellicott Creek to avoid flooding issues. Specifically, the officials targeted the area near Stony Road, located in the northern part of town, as it has been prone to jamming and flooding in the past.

To alleviate the threat of flooding, Legislator Morton, at the request of Supervisor Fudoli, contacted the Erie County Soil and Water Conservation District asking that the creek be cleared as soon as possible to remove debris that was threatening to cause an obstruction. The Soil and Water Conservation District quickly responded with a plan to send crews to the site earlier this week.

“Our focus was preventative maintenance. By recognizing the area as one of concern, the county and town were able to address the hazard before it caused flooding and grief for residents in that area. I want to thank the crews for responding quickly and clearing debris from that section of Ellicott Creek,” said Legislator Morton.

“This has been an issue for some time and must remain on our radar. We cannot let these problems be ignored or pushed off as we have seen the significant flooding that can occur. It is critical for the residents in the area of Stony Road that the county properly maintain Ellicott Creek. I want to thank Legislator Morton and the county for addressing our town’s concerns,” said Supervisor Fudoli.

http://www2.erie.gov/morton/index.ph...avoid-flooding

Georgia L Schlager

We appreciate Supervisor Fudoli doing more with just a few phone calls than past Supervisor Giza did in over twenty years. It has always been a yearly struggle with the Town Council Members ignoring our flooding.

Councilmember Stempniak had many different excuses over the years for not taking action about flood prevention in the Ellicott creek area.

Any ways the County made a deal over 55 years ago to maintain Ellicott creek. This is the second time in 28 years we have seen any creek clearing. Once it was done by past Highway Superentendant Rich Reeses crews - now by a County Crew.
    Thank You !
    Lets hope this is just the start - years ago FEMA offered a helping hand to do flood control projects - the past Town Board turned them down - Supervisor Giza said, "I'd rather close the street and bulldoze the houses"

Its nice to see our new Supervisor doesn't share that attitude. Now if they could find a way to lower my extra cost flood insurance that cost $2400.00 a year on top of normal home owners insurance.

Thank You!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Yes I was present when former Town Supervisor Giza declared, "I'd rather close the street (Stony Road) and bulldoze the houses."

I was also present when the Town and County were complicit in approving a sewer line being buried in the south branch of Ellicott Creek at Stony Road, while all the while denying there was a south branch and declaring it a wetland because it dried up in hot summer months.

I was part of the group of residents that contacted the DEC regarding the storm water violations that took place while the sewer line was being installed, and where the developer was fined twice by the DEC – and where the town did next to nothing to coordinate the effort.

Kudos to County Legislature Morton and Town of Lancaster Supervisor Fudoli for their involvement in getting the creek cleared. Resident best interests were served for a change.

Time to end the history of deciet

Heres issues which were brought to light during that same time - sewerline being put in the Ellicott Creek bed area.

While the Town Council Men and the past Town Supervisor tried to hide and excuse their actions - residents did raise the issue and were stone walled.

Lee stated, "I was also present when the Town and County were complicit in approving a sewer line being buried in the south branch of Ellicott Creek at Stony Road, while all the while denying there was a south branch and declaring it a wetland because it dried up in hot summer months.

I was part of the group of residents that contacted the DEC regarding the storm water violations that took place while the sewer line was being installed, and where the developer was fined twice by the DEC – and where the town did next to nothing to coordinate the effort."

Heres the rub - the Planning Board approved this - they knew it was Ellicott Creek and not a "Wetlands" yet they hid or ignored the truth.

The planning Board Liaison Donna Stempniak also hid facts - she should have advised the Town Board on these issues - theres further proof she doesn't do her job and actually helps developers side step environmental issues.

Then this project was ram rodded throught the Town Board level - Councilmember Stempniak wrote nor filed any reports related to her knowing there were environmental issues. She and others spoke in defense of the sewer line to fascilitate a subdivision proposed by supporters.

The building inspectors office was also complisit - they had a Town of Lancaster Inspector sitting in a Town truck on sight. Dailey while the pipeing work was done - the inspector was sitting in his truck. He was there to approve the job as quickly as possible. Why did the Town and building inspection personal ignore environmental issues and approve this sewer line from start to finish - they were all aware of the issues and concerns ?

Its time for Councilman/Planning Board Liaison Donna Stempniak to resign again and this time stay retired. She has a history of self serving Politics - she serves the needs of Develoers over the concerns and needs of tax payers.

Her and her tax subsidized friends sit at the Country Club when she should be doing her job. She has failed miserable at being a "Liaison" between the Town Board and Planning Board.

They should change that to "Liaison to the Towns Developers" - "Liaison to the Party's Supporters"

Time for the double dipper to go !

Legislator Ted Morton - its time Erie County lives up to the deal

It was nice to see what actual workers can do in less than one day. Its disappointing when you realize that's it - one truck load of dead wood taken from near the bridge area.

Please tell us that's not all there is Mr.Morton - Please !

Legislator Ted Morton - its time Erie County lives up to the deal made when the Creek at Stony Road was moved south.

We (Taxpaying home owners) pay outrageious flood insurance that actually gets us no true coverage - we just get to help subsidize other states and pay for other peoples flood damages - its not fair.

I see the county has this out for bid -

PROJECT: Stony Road Bridge & Culvert Replacement
    PROJECT NO: FA-5759.95-2016
    DESCRIPTION: Replacement of existing bridge with a single span steel bridge, integral
    reinforced concrete abutments on steel H-piles. Replace existing concrete box culvert with
    precast concrete box culvert and wingwalls.

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks for the update - weve been waiting - that bridge is a crumbling mess. The other day a tree fell on it and damaged it further. The Town was offered a deal once by the Feds - but the Town Leaders said they'd rather tear the houses down and close the street before they spend a dime.

There is no plan that any of us residents have heard of to reduce the flooding or overall drainage issues. Flood insurance under FEMA Standards for some residents are now up to $400. a month and some higher. If you have a mortgage - you have to have flood insurance.

No politician is gonna do anything because there not enough home owners to press the issue. If there were land here for a development - they'd have it corrected - fact of life in Lancaster.

It took ten years and many phone calls to just have my ditch cleared. Now under the new rules - they said I have to buy a permit to have the drainage pipes installed - buy and transport the pipe and they will burry it. How nice of them.

I won't hold my breath -

Unofficial bid results

Georgia L Schlager

This thread should be renamed "Stony Road Bridge repair" - this will have no affect as far as flooding. This is merely replacing a small cement bridge that is crumbling - that deterioration is being speed up due to large trucks using this road. There is a load limit which has never been enforced.

The flooding is a separate annoying and some times dangerous issue. There has never been true maintenance of roadside ditch's or culvert boxes. The boxes are 80% clogged with mud and debris - the ditch's are unmaintained. The creek is silted and very shallow so every rain it over runs its banks.

But we know all that and local Government doesn't care because the street doesn't have any expansion value (no subdivision potential).
    So it is what it is - but the Town employees did pick up sticks put to the curb !(Thanks Guys)

Thread Information