Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't let them Imus Tom Bauerle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    As for gay marriage, I don't know which proposal you refer to but I know it isn't mine so I can't respond further.
    I was just using that as an example bc cons tend to contridict themselves with gay marriage.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

No, really Jimmuh. I want to know how "Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech" is at all threatened by private citizens refusing to patronize businesses because they support a certain person (or a certain anything, really). If it'll help, we can go ahead and agree that I'm dim and then you can answer the question.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Does somebody need to explain to JimO that TB is free to say what he wants?
    Does he need to be told the difference between regular citizens expressing their rights and the government taking rights away?

Yeah, I taught a course in the Constitution and regulaly litigate First Amendment issues in the courts.

So, please, oh great ones, enlighten this dumb guy from Soth Buflo.

Only an idiot would think this is a free speech issue.

So, seeing as though that's your implication in your first post here, it's up to you to prove it. Seeing as though you can't, I guess we know who the idiot is.

They are trying to get a talk show host fired. If so, he won't be free to speak to 25,000 people very day.

He could still talk to himself in the shower, on street corners, in bars, etc. Is that your point?

I never said that the government was attempting reducing his free speech.

They are trying to get a talk show host fired. If so, he won't be free to speak to 25,000 people very day.

He could still talk to himself in the shower, on street corners, in bars, etc. Is that your point?

But if he's doing a good job then his loyal listeners will make sure he isn't taken off the air and make sure advertisers are getting business. If he's not doing a good job then he will be gone.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

So you're saying that my right to free speech is being abrogated because I can't speak to 25,000 people every day?

Come on Jim...you know as well as I do that when we talk about "free speech" we are talking about a right afforded to us by the Constitution. That right only extends as far as how the government can control the people...never how much private citizens can react to other private citizens.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

They are using their right to free speech (as if that needs to be pointed out). Baurle is free to say what he likes. Having a right to free speech doesn't mean you have a right to be free of the repurcussions of that free speech.

A business, such as WBEN, is not under any obligation to give TB the right to say what he wants. They will base their decisions on the bottom line.

For somebody that claims to have taught a course, you're sorely lacking. Tell me where the government has tried to take away TB's right to free speech. If you can't, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Seriously, you realize the 1st Amendment deals with the gov't censorship, right? A private or publicly held business making a decision has absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

Seeing as though most everyone here aside from you realizes that, there's no point in continuing the discussion.

Can I deduce that this thread could/has morph(ed) into wether or not you like Bauerle than anything else.

vs a free speech issue? or free to speak for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Can I deduce that this thread could/has morph(ed) into wether or not you like Bauerle than anything else.

vs a free speech issue? or free to speak for that matter?
    Not really...I cant' stand Bauerle...but I have no problem with him saying whatever he wants. I have no problem with WBEN giving him his own show. I have no problem with businesses using him as an advertiser. And I most certainly have no problem at all with people who see Bauerle as the third rate hack he is deciding not to patronize those businesses.

ALL of those things are practices of free speech. Those instances of utilizing free speech are only endangered if some level of government interferes with the practice thereof (or refuses to enforce equal protection of those practicing such rights).
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Where did JimO teach this class on the Constitution? I'd like to A) Suggest that all the students get their money back and B) Suggest whatever school it was is a joke.

Now would be a good time to admit you have no idea what the 1st Amendment actually says, or how it applies.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Not really...I cant' stand Bauerle...but I have no problem with him saying whatever he wants. I have no problem with WBEN giving him his own show. I have no problem with businesses using him as an advertiser. And I most certainly have no problem at all with people who see Bauerle as the third rate hack he is deciding not to patronize those businesses.

ALL of those things are practices of free speech. Those instances of utilizing free speech are only endangered if some level of government interferes with the practice thereof (or refuses to enforce equal protection of those practicing such rights).
    The undisputed truth is that during the course of Bush's two terms he espoused all major neoconservative talking points many of which, in retrospect have been proven to be misleading to a once large and trusting audience.

Hearing "I'm willing to give up a little freedom to feel a little safer" and "9/11" as justification for _____________(fill in the government action), an obsession with terrorism and hundreds of "accidental" caller disconnections (over years) makes for poor infotainment.

Bottom line again; I do not see how a talk show host's "going through the motions" could POSSIBLY continue to draw in new advertisers while keeping old ones loyal;If Tom Bauerle's show has been bleeding advertising dollars as listenership has declined, it is no one's fault but WBEN's management and Bauerle's.

And of course part of this issue comes down to one's liike or dislike of Tom Bauerle as he IS a local celebrity;A public figure subject to scrutiny from other local media sources and comments from Western New Yorkers;That's a given.

Just as its a given that none of us have ever needed to be reminded how to be Patriotic, to stand behind our President, to try and be a good citizen;
    Over time, Mr. Bauerle's show morphed into a kind of daily audio indoctrination of "how to be a good American" which is kind of insulting to any listener that has even minimal original thought.

IF Ron Dobson were to take over Mr. Bauerle's show, Entercom's decision would have NOTHING to do with "liking" or "hating" Tom Bauerle, but boosting profits again just as Ron Dobson's dismissal was a result of red ink at WBEN.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Where did JimO teach this class on the Constitution? I'd like to A) Suggest that all the students get their money back and B) Suggest whatever school it was is a joke.

Now would be a good time to admit you have no idea what the 1st Amendment actually says, or how it applies.
    Hey, man - JO's been fighting the system for 35 years, and has the scars to prove it!
    He was the first one, ever, to question the status quo.
    He helped save us all $90 Million by killing the Bass Pro deal.
    He chews up and spits out guys like me for breakfast.
    He posts by his real name.
    He has organized numerous protests and boycotts.
    He has written numerous articles.

All that time, guys like you and me were doing nothing.

And, who accomplished more? It's probably a tie.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information