Thread: Donn Esmonde: Government goes after the good guys

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Donn Esmonde: Government goes after the good guys

Government goes after the good guys

When our government goes after people such as Debbie Bowers, all I wonder is:Who is next?
    I have met a lot of people in 31 years in journalism. In terms of openhearted-ness and generosity of spirit, Bowers is at the top of the list.
    Going out of her way to help others is what, in the questionable eyes of the U. S. attorney, got her into trouble. The minister’s wife from Clarence and colleague Steve Jabar, whom I also know well, were charged Tuesday with misusing $65,000 of the $350,000 they got from the United Nations in 2004 to start a Baghdad radio station that promotes women’s rights.
    The idea that either of them would pocket money raised to promote democracy in Iraq is, to me, like imagining Mother Teresa scooping change out of a tip jar.
    Read the Full Story in the Buffalo News

After two years of holding Bowers under the microscope, all the feds came up with is $65,000 that two well-meaning folks—in their haste—failed to mark a paper trail for. Measure that against the billions of U. S. dollars that have disappeared down the sinkhole of corruption in Iraq, and this looks more like a persecution than a prosecution.
    HE made a very good point. $65,000 is nothing if you look at the big picture of how the "government" completely pisses away our money.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WOW ! How unfair - the Bufnews helps assassinate the Lancaster Highway Superintendent because of a possible "Accounting error of $400.00 over a three year period"

Your friends, may have misued "$65,000 that two well-meaning folksin their hastefailed to mark a paper trail for."

I don't know but where is the fair & balanced reporting? If their friends with the Bufnews employees - they cant be that bad - but when the person accused in Lancaster isn't your friend, he must be a bad man!

No bias in this paper!
    They got a point here.

Donn Esmonde ain't what he used to be. For years I almost always agreed with him. But that stopped years ago (when he was backing Mohan i n the early years?) Anyway, that column was such swill. If a government employee did that - or anyone else - there would be no mercy. A lot of good people get into trouble. People who have done many good things in their lives. But if they violate the law and get caught, they pay for it.

I think Esmonde has been doing this too long.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Read the Full Story in the Buffalo News

$350,000 they got from the United Nations in 2004 to start a Baghdad radio station that promotes women’s rights..
    I wish the UN would spend $350K to inform ALL Americans of their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    I wish the UN would spend $350K to inform ALL Americans of their rights.

Which rights would those be?

“The defendants diverted a substantial amount of that money for their own use and private financial gain,” prosecutors allege.

Some of the money was used for personal expenses, some was used to repay loans that Jabar had received from private individuals, and some was used to pay for Jabar’s property taxes, the indictment charges.
    We have to keep in mind that Esmonde is an editorialist not a reporter.

That while there are always two sides to every story, both versions will eventually be heard in a trial, but payment of ones personal property taxes is a far cry from failing to submit proper receipts from lawful and permitted expenditures in furtherance of the organizations purpose.
    Last edited by dtwarren; July 17th, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post

We have to keep in mind that Esmonde is an editorialist not a reporter.

That while there are always two sides to every story, both versions will eventually be heard in a trial, but payment of ones personal property taxes is a far cry from failing to submit proper receipts from lawful and permitted expenditures in furtherance of the organizations purpose.
    Esmonde is an idiot in addition to being editorialist.Is it the editorial policy of the Snooze that their friends should be exempt fom the law? Probably.

Thread Information