Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Demise Of The Buffalo News

How about the famous "reliable political source" that really is the imagination of the writer who wants to see what kind of reaction he can get for himself or his bosses.

The other day in the "News", Tom Dolan once again provided some very fundimental misinformation to the public. He stated that the proposed building moratorium is based on a federal waiver that was provided to the town for construction within a flood plain area. The Town received a variance to allow BASEMENTS to be constructed below a specific elevation. Even now each building that will construct a basement below this elevation, are required to obtain a variance from the State Building Codes. The building codes throughout this country provide design parameters to construct within a flood plain area. This is not to be confused with floodway areas where no construction can occur. This type of misinformation (along with others), are fueling this proposed building moritorium.

Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    The other day in the "News", Tom Dolan once again provided some very fundimental misinformation to the public. He stated that the proposed building moratorium is based on a federal waiver that was provided to the town for construction within a flood plain area. The Town received a variance to allow BASEMENTS to be constructed below a specific elevation. Even now each building that will construct a basement below this elevation, are required to obtain a variance from the State Building Codes. The building codes throughout this country provide design parameters to construct within a flood plain area. This is not to be confused with floodway areas where no construction can occur. This type of misinformation (along with others), are fueling this proposed building moritorium.
    I saw that article and wondered why the feds had jurisdiction rather than the state. Unless HUD money is being used, the feds leave zoning and building codes up to the states.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    I saw that article and wondered why the feds had jurisdiction rather than the state. Unless HUD money is being used, the feds leave zoning and building codes up to the states.
    Must have involved federal wetlands.

I am canceling my subscription to the Buffalo News after all these years. I will pick up their Sunday edition at the store for the ads.

I can get up to the minute news on the internet which I read three days later in the Snooze.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency regulates floodplains and floodways throughout the country. Certain design parameters must be followed for required flood insurance for a federally backed mortgage. Once a subdivision or project has been completed, there are ways to have them removed from a floodplain designated area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldo
    I am canceling my subscription to the Buffalo News after all these years. I will pick up their Sunday edition at the store for the ads.

I can get up to the minute news on the internet which I read three days later in the Snooze.
    I've cancelled several times in the past, mostly due to unrealiable delivery, and vowed never to subscribe again. The Sunday paper is the only one we really appreciate, because of the ads and the TV section. A few weeks ago, they offered us Sunday delivery for a year at $1.25 per copy. Since that saves us 75 cents a week, and the Sunday deliveries to our neighbors seemed to have improved, we decided to go for it. So far, so good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information