Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo East Side Development

Linda, I agree that many of these fears amount to nothing more than paranoid xenophobic hysteria. For the most part, Muslim immigrants who come here are hardworking and nonviolent. They are treated like trash in Europe, but here in America they are given a much better chance to succeed.

The fact that some of the more convervative congregations prefer to live and worship in privacy (hence high walls and fences) tends to draw suspicion and scare people.

Well, me and the rest of the Sanctified Brethren aren't going to join in this group hug.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Begins with S between Eggertsville and Williamsville

You know....

You know...I bet they are more like you and me than we give credit for....

Why are they here? To live the American dream....

They want the same things we do...a decent place to live...bring up our kids....etc...

I don't know what else to say...
    Christopher Byrd
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://indabuff.com
    http://broadwayfillmorealive.org

Quote Originally Posted by kristop
    You know...I bet they are more like you and me than we give credit for....

Why are they here? To live the American dream....

They want the same things we do...a decent place to live...bring up our kids....etc...

I don't know what else to say...
    Is that really what they want?

Or is it what we hope they want?

I say welcome them, but be wary.

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    The stories circulating a few years ago were about how the neighbors didn't much care for their new "neighbors" in the former Juvie Detention Center. More recent reports say the some of the people living around it are now paid to inform the new owners if any "outsiders" drive through the neighborhood. Resident complaints have ceased.
    So, are these reports saying, in effect, that people living around the former juvie center are being paid off and that is why complaints have ceased?

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Well, me and the rest of the Sanctified Brethren aren't going to join in this group hug.
    Why do you feel it necessary to say that, Biker?

Seriously, while I often disagree with you, I often thought that you were a rather reasonable guy. Can't you give these people the benefit of the doubt, and appreciate the fact that they seem to be doing more for their community than most of us ever have? I can't speak for everyone here, but they're certainly doing more than me.

Color me naive if you want, but isn't it possible that they're just good people?

Hi Everyone
    I know many people in the Fillmore district and believe me they were very suspicious the first few years.Some of the Muslims lived in Williamsville, Amherst etc...Their Imam tells his congregation they should invest in the area around the Mosque ( which they have owned since the mid 1990s without incident) Just as a Priest tells his congregation on the East Side do not forget about the area around the church! Especially since many have fled the East side.St Stanislaus is beginning to work on a plan to revitalize the area around the church with hopes of bringing former residents and their parishoners back to the neighborhood,
    I agree it is certainly a case of fear of the unknown,I spoke to their Imam last year and expressed to him that getting to know his neighbors was a good idea. I have found the Muslims I have spoken to were friendly and in some cases shocked that I spoke to them, They have not been welcomed too warmly and I am sure are afraid at times also.
    They are making investment in an area that has been forgotten,If anyone wants to move to the Fillmore district and take on a property that needs rehabilitation we can help you do so.Someday people may be kicking themselves saying "Remember when we could of purchased a property for 5k over there?"
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Investors take the message to heart that a congregation needs to be a neighborhood
    By DEIDRE WILLIAMS

A group of 45 people, mostly Muslim, is about to embark on one of the biggest revitalization projects the East Side has ever seen.
    I have a very good friend who who periodically attends that mosque. This is a very good thing for the East Side of Buffalo. I think the new residents and the long time residents are winners in this.

In the interest of reviving dead threads, I'll bring this one back.

Michele or some of the others from Broadway-Fillmore Alive or the East Side, how are things doing in the 'hood these days?
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Hi Linda
    We have slowed down alittle the past 2 months but always throwing our ideas out there..Lately we have been working on some ideas for the pocket park across from the Terminal and I have been working closely with the Lombard/Clark St block club which now has 3 new homeowners who have rehabbed or are in the process of rehabbing homes on the street ( without public funds)Also working with the Bufalo ReUse group which is working on their first deconstruction project also on Lombard St..And getting ready for some travel with the film to Ohio in February and a few film festivals in the spring... How are you doing? Happy Holidays!
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Central Terminal

They planted a ton of trees recently around the Central Terminal and are thinking of making the grounds more park-like for the neighborhoods.

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...12/post_44.php

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    They planted a ton of trees recently around the Central Terminal and are thinking of making the grounds more park-like for the neighborhoods.

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...12/post_44.php

Does anyone have a figure of what it would cost to convert the Central Terminal to A grade office space/residential units. I know they are looking for someone to do this but has there ever been a number thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Does anyone have a figure of what it would cost to convert the Central Terminal to A grade office space/residential units. I know they are looking for someone to do this but has there ever been a number thrown out.
    $2.5 Zillion.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I think it was the same number as installing a sprinkler system throughout the Adirondacks so there'll never be another forest fire there.

East Side Development is facing a tough battle as long as every Tom, Dick and Harry stands at the Real Estate section at Barnes & Noble, perusing these

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information