Thread: How many people watch award shows

Tony Fracasso - Admin

How many people watch award shows

So over all how many people like to watch award shows where people pat themselves on their own backs?

I barely notice them. At most I read the news about who won the next day... but usually don't even do that.

Generally, I don't. But I was interested in seeing Jon Stewart last night on the Academy Awards, so I watched. I really don't care about the awards themselves. I didn't see any of the movies that were up for best picture or actor/actress categories.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse
    I didn't see any of the movies that were up for best picture or actor/actress categories.
    Ya know, I noticed the same thing. I read thru the list today and I think I may have seen only 2 of the movies that were nominated.

I am so uncultured.

Unregistered
    I couldn't care less about them.

There are so many darn awards shows these days that I can't tell any of them apart.

I get them all mixed up.

All I know is that Jennifer Lopez shows up at all of them. The Oscars. The NAACP awards. The Grammys. The MTV Movie Awards. J Lo is there. She apparently has her place in each sector of the media.

If you went to the North Wyoming Wood Carvers Association Awards I bet that J Lo would be there too, whittling knife in hand.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

OK, I will admit to liking them.

I like the Oscars.
    And, I like the Grammys.
    And, I especially like the MTV Awards.
    And, I would like the Tony's as well, but I'm not gay.
    Not that there's anything wrong with liking the Tony's.

I usually half watch the awards shows. I'll generally grab a book, magazine or do some surfing on the net while the shows are on.

I made a point of watching the Academy Awards show last night in its entirety for 2 reasons. 1. To see what John Stewart would have to say. 2. Because I actually saw 3 of the 5 movies which were nominated for best picture- Capote, Crash & Brokeback Mountain.

I thought Capote was the best of the 3, however, Crash was very close. Brokeback Mountain was OK, but I didn't feel the premise that the movie represented a breakthrough for gay movies justifies an oscar. It was like "Love Story" all over again except it had 2 guys instead of Ali MacGraw & Ryan O'Neal.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

What bothers me about the award shows is the Entertainment Tonight or E! converage of them. My wife was watching ET last night and it was kinda of firing me up the way these so called "reporters" fawn and worship any sort of celebrtity. I told her I was going to go send out an email.

Dear Pat O'Brian,
    These people are actors! They are not royalty! Oh yeah and tell George Clooney to leave his liberal garbage speak back in Italy!

Dear Mary Hart,
    What is with your over done facial expressions? Just read the Q-card and tell Sandra Bulluck she looks fabulous without contorting your face a thousand different ways in one sentence!

award show, reality show, talk show, game show, soaps, invented news, imfomercials, yup television is really realy great these days. Give me movies and sports. a few history shows a garden show now and then for new ideas or just turn it off
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by butters
    \ Oh yeah and tell George Clooney to leave his liberal garbage speak back in Italy!
    For those who missed it, the following was George Clooney's "liberal garbage" , during his acceptance speech:

"We're the ones who talk about AIDS when it was just being whispered, & we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, you know, we bring up subjects. This Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy. Proud to be part of this community, & proud to be out of touch."

So, if that is "liberal garbage", then, to paraphrase George Clooney, I am proud to be a liberal.

Didn't watch. Don't remember the last time I did. How did Ben Hur do?

Thread Information