Thread: Lancaster Board of Education adopts 2014-15 budget

Lancaster Board of Education adopts 2014-15 budget

The Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) Board of Education (BOE) approved the 2014-15 budget proposal submitted by the district administration as presented.

BOE president Marie MacKay informed the attendees that the budget would be presented to the public for review on May 20th. MacKay declared the proposed budget is $97,427,806. In regards impact, the budget requests an increase of $2,722,548; or a 2.87% expenditure increase. It would reflect as an actual tax rate increase of 2.68%; an increase of 44 cents per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation.

The estimated tax rate for Lancaster will be $16.85 per thousand dollar of assessment; in Cheektowaga the tax rate would be $27.18, an increase of 71 cents; in Elma $34.87, an increase of $9.0.

MacKay added that as Superintendent Michael Vallely pointed out at budget work sessions that with the rebate we will be getting from the state next year, there will be no school tax increase for the property owner this year. "It is a zero tax increase budget," said MacKay.

MacKay thanked her colleagues for all the work they put in on the budget this year. “Once again, the BOE gave the district orders to come in with a budget with minimal tax increase budget as everyone in the community is suffering financially. We also told Dr. Vallely that we did not want to see any programs cut. As such, we are at bare bones. There is nothing else to cut.”

MacKay went on to say that the public tells the board that they pay out all those wages, medical benefits, you pay insurance, etc. “Yes, we do,” said MacKay, “but I would like to thank the employees of LCSD because they have given us concessions in the past. We worked with our different bargaining units this year to extend our contract and they were very good to us in the percentage increases voted on and approved.”

“In our district employees pay a percentage to their insurance. I applaud them for that as there are other districts that don’t contribute near what our employees contribute to their health insurance. I believe the employees in this district believe in the children and they are willing to do what needs doing to give the children the best education. And it shows as Business First ranked us ninth out of the 97 districts ranked in Western New York. That happened because of our employees. And when I say employees I mean all employees. It doesn’t matter if you are a bus driver, custodian, clerk, teacher, etc; they all take so much pride in the students and their well being.”

MacKay commended the bus drivers present, stating that through the years all parents have entrusted their children’s care to them, to take them to school and bring them home safely. “You have done a great job," said MacKay

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    The estimated tax rate for Lancaster will be $16.85 per thousand dollar of assessment; in Cheektowaga the tax rate would be $27.18, an increase of 71 cents; in Elma $34.87, an increase of $9.0.
    I still don't understand how Cheektowaga's tax rate went up and is not similar to Lancaster's since their assessed values went up to 100% from 62%. Maybe, it will take a big drop after the final assessment roll is completed.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information