Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof replacement permits; why and consequences of not having one

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    If Lancaster has a policy where homeowners need a permit, then that is the rule to be followed. We insisted on an Umbrella insurance policy for an extra layer of protection when we had our roof replaced. Our contractor was happy to comply. Homeowners insurance may or may not cover accidental falls from a roof during a re-roof.

That being said, our Building Department here in Lancaster is much too lax. People know full well they can do as they please and get away with it.
    Well someone did not get away with it today. Council member Donna Stempniak advised town board attendees Monday night to contact the code enforcement officer if they suspected roof replacement work was being done without a permit. Stempniak declared the act was more to protect the homeowner having the roofing work done in case the homeowner was told by the roofer that he would get the permit, charged the party for the permit, and/or did not show prove of insurance or lied about it and now the homeowner was respnsible for liability.

Well someone took that advice and a code enforcement officer showed up at a home on Schwartz Road and had the roofers stop work, button the place up against leaks, and get a permit on Monday before continuing any more work. No permit had been applied for.

It was difficult to comprehend why this homeower had no permit as the individual is a town employee in an administrative capacity. If a permit is received it should be posted in a window or someplace obvious for the code enforcer or anyone else for that matter to view. It was not.

Wonder, which one of these Schwartz Rd residents is the town employee/code violator?

RICKETTSON RONALD S
    HICKEL BETTY A LIVING
    BORAWSKI DARRYL & W JANET
    FRANK MICHAEL G
    BEEMAN DARREN & W CHERYL
    CZAJKA JOSEPH J
    AUGUSTINE TAITE A & KIST CARYL
    JAROSZ KENNETH & W KAREN
    DOMANOWSKI SIGMUND &W APRIL
    POWELL WALTER J & W
    JAMES RICHARD & SALLY
    BIELLI GIRARD
    PETERSON RICHARD & W BARBARA
    WIEAND JAMES R & W DONNA
    KREAVY RONALD P & DEMBSKI
    ALLEN DAVID
    NARDOLILLO JANICE M
    KUNTZ GERARD L & RUTH A
    ZIKA PAUL J & W MARIE LIFE
    KAUSHINGER BRIAN &W CRYSTAL
    MACDIARMID LORRIE S
    HERRINGTON EARL & W MARY SUSA
    SCAGLIONE JAMES
    PHILLIPS J CHAS & W MARGE
    GERSPACHER NANCY
    PIATKOWSKI MICHAEL & W
    HENKE GARY C
    TURSKI PAUL
    GIRAS MARK E
    WALL JAMIE & W BONNIE
    POHLMAN DONNA M
    HAUNGS II ROBERT &W LINDA
    ALBERT SAMUEL
    NEULAND JOHN & W KRISTINA
    HARRIS WHITNEY J & W PHYLLIS
    CORNELL DONALD A & W
    STILLER THOMAS & W SHELLY
    PRUSKI GERALD & W LENA
    HASSETT JOHN F III
    HORN ROSLYN
    ALBERT CHRISTOPHER & W TRACY
    DAKE GEORGE S & W LORRAINE M
    ALBERT SAMUEL & W DONNA
    BEDNARSKI THOMAS J / PROUT MARCIA A
    THE DAKE FAMILY TRUST II LI
    LOGA LEONARD J
    PHILLIPS JOHN
    PARUCKI GLENN & W LYNN
    GUARI KEVIN & W SHARON
    CHAMBERLIN KERRY &W PATTY
    PLETSCHER LOREN & W KATHRYN
    HART DENNIS J
    WITTMEYER EDWARD
    LAMB HOWARD W & W MARILYN
    SZATKOWSKI ROBERT LIFE USE
    REPKA MICHAEL
    SZATKOWSKI FREDERICK & W
    BEATTY JOHN & MARTHA
    MARTZOLF HAROLD & W TRACY
    BIALECKI EDWARD & W DONNA
    ROMANOWSKI HENRY G
    MORROW FRANK & W PATRICIA
    HANFORD G GEROLD
    BETTINGER T & TOBIN K
    GIUSTINO STACI M
    CROWN ATLANTIC CO LLC
    KRZEMINSKI DONALD & DOUG
    MOHN JAMES & W KAREN
    DRIGGS JUSTIN &W KIMBERLY
    HYMAN KEVIN & W LISA
    SCHWARTZ JEFFREY & W KAREN
    SYPNIEWSKI MARK & W JOYCE
    KOWAL WALTER & W LISA
    NELSON GARY & W MADGE T
    NELSON GARY R & W MADGE
    PLEWINSKI MICHAEL & W DAWN
    MARTZ BRIAN & W LISA
    SAUNDERS MARK & W KIMBERLY
    POPIOL ARTHUR & W
    KRZYSIAK STANLEY E & W
    PARA GERARD A & W JOAN
    PARA GERARD A & W JOAN
    NAGOWSKI JONATHAN J/TIMOTHY C
    DAVIS DARRYL J & W JENNY
    HELMINIAK ROBT B & W BARBARA
    MEEGAN KEVIN M
    YOUNG JOHN G & W ELAINE R
    SCHAFER GARY PETER JR & KARL ARTHUR
    DURKIN KEVIN & W PHYLLIS
    BARTZ ROBERT E
    WAHL MICHAEL L
    LUCIE MICHAEL J & W
    SEVERYN WILLIAM SR & W HELEN
    HARVEY ADELAIDE LIFE USE
    SEVERYN MELLISA
    ELLIOTT TIMOTHY B & W
    RZESZUT WALTER LIFE USE
    STULAK KENNETH & W STELLA
    O'BARA DENNIS & W CINDY
    GONZALES SUZIE
    POMIETLARZ EUGENE & W PATRICIA
    POMIETLARZ LAWRENCE J & W
    PIWOWARSKI RICHARD & W
    WILLIAMS DAVID E JR & W
    FRIDMANN MICHL & W TAMERA
    FOLEY DAWN MARIE
    SORRENTO VINCENT & W NORMA
    ZINK EDWARD R SR & W LORRAINE

Georgia L Schlager

I've done plenty of roofs; my own and for others and I've yet to get a permit for one.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I've done plenty of roofs; my own and for others and I've yet to get a permit for one.
    In trying to understand your position, I have to ask:

• Are you a contractor, a roofer doing side jobs, or a friend helping other friends and/or family members?

• Have you done any roofing work in Lancaster? Some municipalities do not require permits.

• Are you self-insured or contractor insured to cover liability?

I, and many others like me in today’s world, feel comfortable having work done by contractors that have liability insurance.

I checked with my insurance agent and found because I have an umbrella insurance policy I am covered for $1.5 million in liability. Had I not had umbrella coverage the liability coverage would be $300,000. If someone believes that is enough coverage to cover a serious roofing accident, that is their determination to make. Some only have $100,000 liability coverage. One size doesn’t fit all.

On Sunday, a Lancaster Town employee got caught having a roof replacement without a permit. The code enforcement officer was summoned, stopped the project and told the roofers and homeowner that work was not to continue until a permit was obtained on Monday. The work continued and the roof job was completed by Sunday evening.
    It will be interesting to see how the town reacts. What if the roofer is not insured and would not be able to get a permit. They can’t fine him as there is no policy in place to do so. Will the roofer even show up to get a permit? If they didn’t show, how will the town stop the roofer from doing the same again?

The homeowner is a Town employee. You would think he or she would know better and ensure either the roofer got a permit or they did waiving the roofer from having liability insurance and using their own insurance coverage. Perhaps the homeowner should be fined as well.

The point is that Lancaster does have an ordinance. But there is no policy in place to penalize the violators. Supervisor Fudoli declared at the last board meeting that he is looking at creating a system of deterrence not just hiring more help and adding cost to the department. Here’s your poster child Mr. Fudoli.

How about we just get back to minding our own business in America on issues that really do not effect us -- as in this issue?
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

The town employee should have known that there was no permit as it has to be visible.
    And if the town employee was present when the CE officer put a halt to the roof work,
    and then let the roof work be completed without the issuance of a permit, the
    homeowner/town employee is culpable, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The town employee should have known that there was no permit as it has to be visible.
    And if the town employee was present when the CE officer put a halt to the roof work,
    and then let the roof work be completed without the issuance of a permit, the
    homeowner/town employee is culpable, IMHO.
    Culpable to what?

Is lancaster going to seize the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    How about we just get back to minding our own business in America on issues that really do not effect us -- as in this issue?
    As you don’t live in Lancaster, are you thinking out loud or referring to others that don’t live in Lancaster and post they never got a roof replacement permit, and never would.

This is the business of Lancaster residents as there is an ordinance in play and is so stated on the Town of Lancaster’s website under Building Department and reads:

Any structural changes, including roofs, accessory structures, sheds, pools, fences and decks require a building permit to be issued.

Now since this is a town requirement and all the reasons for it have already been stated, are you saying the homeowners who follow the rules should just shut up and watch those that break the rules skate free; both homeowners and roofers – and to just mind their own business?

Civil disobedience and/or breaking the law is ok with you, Frank? Loss of town revenue from those who feel above the law and violate the law is ok?

yokes;1356489]Culpable to what?
    Not gtting a permit.

Is lancaster going to seize the roof?
    Excellent point as up to now code violators have suffered no consequence; no one has been fined.

Like the roof permit ordinance or not, it is on the books. The homeowner who did not get a permit had the roofing work stopped by a code enforcement officer and was told not to complete the work until a permit was applied for and received. As soon as the code enforcement officer left work was commenced and the project was completed.

Now we will see how the town handles this. Will the town cite the homeowner, present a court appearance ticket, and will the town prosecutor and new Housing Court Judge prosecute the violator. If no action is taken then the ordinance has no teeth and the permit process becomes a money grab as some have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Not gtting a permit.

Excellent point as up to now code violators have suffered no consequence; no one has been fined.

Like the roof permit ordinance or not, it is on the books. The homeowner who did not get a permit had the roofing work stopped by a code enforcement officer and was told not to complete the work until a permit was applied for and received. As soon as the code enforcement officer left work was commenced and the project was completed.

Now we will see how the town handles this. Will the town cite the homeowner, present a court appearance ticket, and will the town prosecutor and new Housing Court Judge prosecute the violator. If no action is taken then the ordinance has no teeth and the permit process becomes a money grab as some have stated.
    Aside from collecting the permit cost after the fact what other options do they have?

As you don’t live in Lancaster, are you thinking out loud or referring to others that don’t live in Lancaster and post they never got a roof replacement permit, and never would.

This is the business of Lancaster residents as there is an ordinance in play and is so stated on the Town of Lancaster’s website under Building Department and reads:

Any structural changes, including roofs, accessory structures, sheds, pools, fences and decks require a building permit to be issued.

Now since this is a town requirement and all the reasons for it have already been stated, are you saying the homeowners who follow the rules should just shut up and watch those that break the rules skate free; both homeowners and roofers – and to just mind their own business?

Civil disobedience and/or breaking the law is ok with you, Frank? Loss of town revenue from those who feel above the law and violate the law is ok?
    Oh boy, shall we go over this again. Listen carefully now... Lancaster is just as much mine as yours -- as if anyone even can say they own it. My opinion is just as valid as yours -- living where you live has no bearing - it is in Erie County and New State and The United States correct? Thought so...

Breaking the law is not okay with me. "Loss of town revenue" ohhhhh now I see, you care less about people and relationships, you are about your pocketbook...

No sir, mind your own business is a valid opinion on this issue...
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Well someone did not get away with it today. Council member Donna Stempniak advised town board attendees Monday night to contact the code enforcement officer if they suspected roof replacement work was being done without a permit. Stempniak declared the act was more to protect the homeowner having the roofing work done in case the homeowner was told by the roofer that he would get the permit, charged the party for the permit, and/or did not show prove of insurance or lied about it and now the homeowner was respnsible for liability.

Well someone took that advice and a code enforcement officer showed up at a home on Schwartz Road and had the roofers stop work, button the place up against leaks, and get a permit on Monday before continuing any more work. No permit had been applied for.

It was difficult to comprehend why this homeower had no permit as the individual is a town employee in an administrative capacity. If a permit is received it should be posted in a window or someplace obvious for the code enforcer or anyone else for that matter to view. It was not.
    Lee if that is truly the case and this town employee ignored the Code Enforcer's request to halt the project until a permit has been issued, I would suspect some penalty should be issued. I can't believe a town employee would ignore the laws of the town!

Who is this person, anyone know?

I wonder how Mr. Pease feels knowing that a colleague of his dismissed his request?

Quote Originally Posted by yokes View Post
    Aside from collecting the permit cost after the fact what other options do they have?
    Exactly. As of now there are no options.

Frank Broughton;1356784]Oh boy, shall we go over this again. Listen carefully now... Lancaster is just as much mine as yours -- as if anyone even can say they own it. My opinion is just as valid as yours -- living where you live has no bearing - it is in Erie County and New State and The United States correct? Thought so...
    Gibberish Frank, gibberish!

Breaking the law is not okay with me. "Loss of town revenue" ohhhhh now I see, you care less about people and relationships, you are about your pocketbook...
    Nonsense and you know it. The typical Frank Broughton spin.

No sir, mind your own business is a valid opinion on this issue...
    As you are not a Lancaster resident, take your own advice.

haha you funny Lee... borderline snobbish, but funny nonetheless.

Gibberish Frank, gibberish!
    Nonsense and you know it. The typical Frank Broughton spin.
    As you are not a Lancaster resident, take your own advice.
    It is not nonsense, I think a person who thinks it is okay to blow their neighbors in, on something as petty as this, has some personality issues
    Last edited by Frank Broughton; April 29th, 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information