Thread: SpeakUpWNY .. The Buffalo News

Unregistered

Thumbs up SpeakUpWNY .. The Buffalo News

excerpt from The Buffalo News article Buffalo blogosphere 02/27/2006

Blogs and message boards are taking the place of the public square, or the office water cooler, where information spread in the past, said Kevin R. Hardwick, a Canisius College political scientist.

"Obviously, the politicians are looking at this stuff, and it can influence policy," he said.

SpeakUp Western New York, for instance, is a magnet for anti-county government rhetoric. A petition started on SpeakUp collected 5,000 signatures opposing an Erie County sales tax increase for 2005.

The site, which started in April 2003 and is the passion of Anthony Fracasso, owner of Online Media, had 87,878 posts on 6,356 threads (a string of comments) on the message board as of last week, Fracasso said.

"Sunlight, someone mentioned, is the best cure. And that's what SpeakUp is about," he said.

The Buffalo News article

Nice.

But I don't get that sunlight quote.

I was hoping there would be more to the article. Speak Up WNY only got a few blurbs.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Originally posted by Achbek1
    I was hoping there would be more to the article. Speak Up WNY only got a few blurbs.
    Seemed to me that the story was pretty city-centric. But that's okay for now. I think it took a huge amount for The News to acknowledge that there are other sources of news-related discussion out there......

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by therising
    Nice.

But I don't get that sunlight quote.
    That's not what I said.. I think I said if you stir up the pot the crap floats to the top. Something on that order.

I do not remember the sunlight comment at all. Unless lee or gary said it while we were all talking.

Maybe you should make that Sunlight thing your new signature.
    I'm getting sick of seeing "What's up Doc"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How can you ever tire of bugs bunny?

Unregistered
    I would have enjoyed reading more from Res and the top 10 posters.

On a side note, the news listed the www addy and that should bring in more users. I see we're up to 1,004 members now.

Ayways, congrats to Res for your inclusion in the article. I noticed a number of local blogs weren't interviewed or listed at all.

Can we do some party planning now?

Thumbs up

I like your thihnking Ragin!
    It is all about the party!

Excellant news blast for SUWNY Res.
    The sunshine thing through me aback as well.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by WNYresident
    That's not what I said.. I think I said if you stir up the pot the crap floats to the top. Something on that order.

I do not remember the sunlight comment at all. Unless lee or gary said it while we were all talking.
    I like the reference to stirring up the pot. I wonder why they didn't print that one?

I wish they hadn't used that sunlight comment. I've got this John Denver and "sunshine on my shoulder" thing going on in my head now, and it ain't pretty.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by WNYresident
    How can you ever tire of bugs bunny?
    Elmer Fudd did. Maybe Rising can work his own signature with this?

Personally, I always liked Bugs, but when Elmer declared he's "Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht", I have to admit that's a tough act to follow .. cause we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl.

Thread Information