Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carney: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Someone has to collect the premiums. That money will be needed to pay for the people who have their health insurance fully subsidized through the exchanges.
    The IRS collects the penalty for the individual mandate. I don't believe they have the power to collect unpaid premiums. That is the insurers responsibility just as it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I wouldn't call a RAND survey a "Shot in the dark"

I find it more then a little strange that you doubt a RAND survey on the one hand then mention what is posted on a facebook page on the other hand
    Assumptions all around.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    This is old news but since you didn't get the memo:

House Republican leaders craft their vision for an alternative to health-care law

The plan includes an expansion of high-risk insurance pools, promotion of health savings accounts and inducements for small businesses to purchase coverage together.

The tenets of the plan — which could expand to include the ability to buy insurance across state lines, guaranteed renew-ability of policies and changes to medical-malpractice regulations — are ideas that various conservatives have for a long time backed as part of broader bills.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...996_story.html

Right, so they still have nothing. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    From victims to deadbeats overnight. Well played.
    Kathleen Sebellius said that 20% of enrollees haven't paid their 1st month's premium yet. The Insurers said in addition, that 3-4% of enrollees paid the first month, but, stopped paying after that.

I'm not "playing"... Like the columnist in this article says, just asking the tough questions.
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/preside...ard-questions/

I get frustrated when people like Obama demonize, yes, demonize (partisan politics aside) & shut down discussions with "these people don't want you covered by insurance"! I have family in heathcare - they WANT Obamacare to work.

Right, so they still have nothing. Got it.
    The one thing the GOP is doing is helping to create a lot of uncertainty for a regulated market, thus increasing risks and wasting the industries time and money in having to try and plan for the unknown.

The one thing the GOP is doing is helping to create a lot of uncertainty for a regulated market, thus increasing risks and wasting the industries time and money in having to try and plan for the unknown.
    ROTFL, yeah, the GOP is to blame for the uncertainty

Yes, the Repubs had an ax to grind at the beginning, but, the uncertainty manifested itself with the rushed vote, the rollout and snowballed from there. We will wait and see - it will play itself out. And I hope the heathcare industry survives.
    Last edited by buffy; April 3rd, 2014 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    Kathleen Sebellius said that 20% of enrollees haven't paid their 1st month's premium yet. The Insurers said in addition, that 3-4% of enrollees paid the first month, but, stopped paying after that.
    the numbers are from Feb. I guess we will see what happens in the coming months. What is the industry average for unpaid premiums? I looked a little but couldn't find anything. I doubt those numbers are published.

I'm not "playing"... Like the columnist in this article says, just asking the tough questions.
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/preside...ard-questions/

I get frustrated when people like Obama demonize, yes, demonize (partisan politics aside) & shut down discussions with "these people don't want you covered by insurance"! I have family in heathcare - they WANT Obamacare to work.
    And yet the actions from the right constantly prove otherwise. Instead of showing leadership and working with the law, they piss away our time, money and patience on full repeal, despite the fact that the law has a ton of provisions that are really good for the population.

I have zero problem admitting that there are problems with the law. The right however is either too stupid, egotistical, power hungry or all of the above to concede that maybe, just maybe they were wrong. Maybe the ACA is good for the country and could be even better if it was improved.

the numbers are from Feb. I guess we will see what happens in the coming months. What is the industry average for unpaid premiums? I looked a little but couldn't find anything. I doubt those numbers are published.

And yet the actions from the right constantly prove otherwise. Instead of showing leadership and working with the law, they piss away our time, money and patience on full repeal, despite the fact that the law has a ton of provisions that are really good for the population.

I have zero problem admitting that there are problems with the law. The right however is either too stupid, egotistical, power hungry or all of the above to concede that maybe, just maybe they were wrong. Maybe the ACA is good for the country and could be even better if it was improved.
    Just like Nancy Pelosi said "we have to pass it to read it" maybe the repubs felt they needed to repeal it to start over. The best time to repeal is at the start, before the gears start moving - Even Warren Buffet said it should be scraped and rewritten.

I give Obama credit for wanting reform. I was one of those people watching and listening to his FIRST speech about tackling healthcare. I was hopeful and, as I was apt to do back then, fawning over every word he "sincerely" said- it just isn't happening as it was promised, written, and presented. Wrong goes both ways in the Capital. Smart people in the industry say it will get worse. I think both sides will eventually re-work the entire Act, but, I don't think you are evenly parsing out the blame. And don't forget how much time and money will be spent re-working it. It was RUSHED!
    Last edited by buffy; April 2nd, 2014 at 06:28 PM.

Just like Nancy Pelosi said "we have to pass it to read it" maybe the repubs felt they needed to repeal it to start over. The best time to repeal is at the start, before the gears start moving - Even Warren Buffet said it should be scraped and rewritten.

I give Obama credit for wanting reform. I was one of those people watching and listening to his FIRST speech about tackling healthcare. I was hopeful and, as I was apt to do back then, fawning over every word he "sincerely" said- it just isn't happening as it was promised, written, and presented. Wrong goes both ways in the Capital. Smart people in the industry say it will get worse. I think both sides will eventually re-work the entire Act, but, I don't think you are evenly parsing out the blame. And don't forget how much time and money will be spent re-working it. It was RUSHED!
    Why was it rushed?

Why was it rushed?
    It was rushed because no one was allowed to read the final draft before voting on it! Everyone was told it was great, just pass it and we will see. Biden said it was "a BIG FRACKING DEAL" Turns out that the initial analysis of the ACA was flawed, hence the misinformation and subsequent uncertainty.

A new Mercatus Center study finds that in 2010, in the rush to implement key provisions of the ACA, the federal government used a fast-track process of regulatory analysis that failed to comply with its own standards, and produced poorly substantiated claims about the ACA’s *benefits *and *costs.
    http://mercatus.org/sites/default/fi...dy-Summary.pdf
    Why wasn't it presented and put into committee to be discussed and trouble shot beforehand? This could have been avoided.
    Last edited by buffy; April 2nd, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

It was rushed because no one was allowed to read the final draft before voting on it! Everyone was told it was great, just pass it and we will see. Biden said it was "a BIG FRACKING DEAL" Turns out that the initial analysis of the ACA was flawed, hence the misinformation and subsequent uncertainty.

Why wasn't it presented and put into committee to be discussed and trouble shot beforehand? This could have been avoided.
    I guess I should have phrased my question differently.

Good Grief.

If only 1/3 are Newly insured then that means all Obamacare did was shift 2/3's of 7 million people off of there own private plan to a Government regulated plan.

Whoopee, lets her it for communism comrades!

My educated guess would be the the bulk of the 1/3 left are people that are getting medicaid. Which brings the whole discussion back to full circle when 100's of people were saying you should just expand medicaid. The billions spent don't justify the paltry number of people that are benefiting from this. Its really that simple and it doesn't take Copernicus to work out the numbers.

lets talk facts, not facebook page

London's Daily Mail reports that "numbers from a RAND Corporation study that has been kept under wraps suggest that barely 858,000 previously uninsured Americans--nowhere near 7.1 million--have paid for new policies and joined the ranks of the insured by Monday night."
    Reuters reports that "insurers are already anticipating the need to raise prices for 2015":

Insurers have already said that the first group of new enrollees under Obamacare, as the law is widely known, represent a higher rate of older and costlier members than hoped. To keep their health plans from losing money in the coming years, many expect monthly premium rates to rise by double-digit percentages in some parts of the country
    David Cordani, CEO of insurer Cigna, said his company has raised the issue of potential rate increases with the Obama administration and has suggestions for changes to the program that could help mitigate sharp spikes, including providing new lower-cost options to consumers and giving them a greater choice over which health benefits are covered.
    LOL, Lower-cost options and choice? If only the architects of ObamaCare had thought of that!

Last July the Associated Press estimated the annual cost of pro-ObamaCare advertising at $684 million.
    This is just mind boggling, you are forced to buy the insurance at gun point or you are fined.... and yet they still have to spend 684 million to get 7 million customers?????????????????????????? That works out to how much spent per enrolled?

Seriously, no can really be falling for this can they? Surely, as a people, the American public isn't this stupid??????
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

How many illegal aliens does that number include? More than 50%? What a JOKE Obamacare is!
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information