Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80-room hotel is planned for Elmwood

80-room hotel is planned for Elmwood

5-story building to sit at corner of Forest

Savarino Construction Services Corp. has unveiled plans for a five-story structure - to be called the Elmwood Village Hotel - on the southeast corner of Elmwood and Forest avenues. The developer is holding talks with the Cendant travel group to locate the Buffalo area's first Wyndham hotel at the address.

The proposal calls for construction of a $7 million, 45,000-square-foot hotel that would front Elmwood Avenue, featuring 4,500 square feet of first-floor retail space. Parking for more than 50 vehicles would be under the structure, with a handful of surface spaces in the rear.

The top floor of the brick building would be set back, reducing its scale and providing the upper guest rooms with private terraces. Rooms on lower floors would feature recessed balconies. Architect Karl Frizlen said his goal in designing the building was to come up with a structure that will "blend with the fabric" of Elmwood Avenue.

The first floor of the building - which will house hotel operations, a small cafe and one or two retail shops - will be fronted with large windows to create "transparency" between the building and the streetscape.

The current timetable would see the project get under way in the upcoming spring/summer construction period, with completion within nine months.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...15/1036983.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I really like the sounds of this. Elmwood needs hotel space and unlike other new build projects that we've seen recently around Buffalo this one sounds like something that respects the neighborhood with underground parking and ground floor retail. I'm eager to see renderings of this project.

Definitely an improvement over the houses that are there now.

I hope the place isn't too pricey. I'd like to try it out, but I'm basically cheap!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Wyndham = moderate.

Surprisingly, all of the comments over at BRising on the proposal have been positive. Compare that to the plans for Burchfield that were roughtly 50-50. And the developer is having a meeting with the residents next Tuesday to discuss their plans. See how a little outreach and a design keeping with the character of the neighborhood (underground parking, ground floor retail, etc) can go a long way?

Wow, that's a great corner. Where the copy shop and other stuff is located, now. Maybe will help the Richardson project somehow.

This sounds very good.

It's not two blocks away from the other hotels opened the past few years in the downtown. It could serve visitors to the History Useum, the Art Gallery and Buff State. So it'd be serving people visiting right next door. Sounds like the type of place I'd stay in if I was visiting the museums from out of town.

I'll leave it to more knowledgeable types to weigh in on the design aspects.

Tell me this involves no public dough and I'll be ecstatic.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

As I said in BR, this project is certainly a win win for Buffalo.

I think this could really help bolster our image, as visitors of nearby attractions (museums, buffstate) can stay somewhere within walking distance, intimately tied in with the surroundings.

This will be great for the area I consider to truely be the heart of Buffalo (sorry downtown!)

Originally posted by biker
    This sounds very good.

It's not two blocks away from the other hotels opened the past few years in the downtown. It could serve visitors to the History Useum, the Art Gallery and Buff State. So it'd be serving people visiting right next door. Sounds like the type of place I'd stay in if I was visiting the museums from out of town.

I'll leave it to more knowledgeable types to weigh in on the design aspects.

Tell me this involves no public dough and I'll be ecstatic.
    It's about time that somebody in this town realized that Downtown is NOT the center of the universe. Compared to Downtown or the suburban hotel/motel districts, this area is much quieter and much more visitor friendly, especially during the day, for those people coming into town to do the museums, galleries, and historic homes. It's also great for prospective Buff State students from out of town. They can visit the college with their families and get a real taste for the neighborhood.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Originally posted by Gabe

This will be great for the area I consider to truely be the heart of Buffalo (sorry downtown!)
    Sorry to you, Gabe.

Close, but no seegar.

Parkside is where it's at.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Originally posted by biker
    Sorry to you, Gabe.

Close, but no seegar.

Parkside is where it's at.
    yawwwn, maybe when i'm over 50 i'll agree with you on that.

Holy cow I didnt even realize this is 3 or 4 blocks away from my house.

West coast where did you get the pic?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

It was on the Buffalo News website, they added it after 10 am.

Original Design in Color

Last edited by 300miles; March 1st, 2006 at 11:03 AM.

new design

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information