Thread: Nation’s elite cancer hospitals off-limits under Obamacare

Nation’s elite cancer hospitals off-limits under Obamacare

WASHINGTON — Cancer patients relieved that they can get insurance coverage because of the new health care law may be disappointed to learn that some of the nation’s best cancer hospitals are off-limits.

An Associated Press survey found examples coast to coast. Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is excluded by five out of eight insurers in Washington state’s insurance exchange. MD Anderson Cancer Center says it’s in less than half of the plans in the Houston area. Memorial Sloan-Kettering is included by two of nine insurers in New York City and has out-of-network agreements with two more.

Doctors and administrators say they’re concerned. So are some state insurance regulators.

In all, only four of 19 nationally recognized comprehensive cancer centers that responded to AP’s survey said patients have access through all the insurance companies in their state exchange.

Not too long ago, insurance companies would have been vying to offer access to renowned cancer centers, said Dan Mendelson, CEO of the market research firm Avalere Health. Now the focus is on costs.

“This is a marked deterioration of access to the premier cancer centers for people who are signing up for these plans,” Mendelson said.

Those patients may not be able get the most advanced treatment, including clinical trials of new medications.

The AP asked the centers how many insurance companies in their state’s exchange included them as a network provider.

Of the 19 that responded, four reported access through all insurers: the Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore; Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia; Duke Cancer Institute in Durham, NC; and Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center in Nashville, Tenn. One caveat: Some insurers did not include these cancer centers on certain low-cost plans.

Two centers have special circumstances. The best known is St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. Treatment there is free as long as children have a referral.

For the remaining 13, the gaps are evident.

In Buffalo, NY, Roswell Park Cancer Institute is included by five of seven insurers in its region. But statewide, the picture is much different: Roswell Park is not included by 11 of 16 insurers. Dr. Willie Underwood, associate professor of surgical oncology at the teaching hospital, says that’s a problem.
    http://nypost.com/2014/03/19/nations...der-obamacare/
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Uh, isn't this a function of the plans offered by the insurance companies? You don't have to buy off the exchange. You can purchase a more expensive insurance plan (like I did) other than on the exchange.

The insurance companies have devised plans that they are willing to offer at the level of premiums they are allowed to charge.

But they are still offering to sell more expensive plans with more coverage.

Does Dan really expect us to believe that over the last 50 years health insurance companies were not focused on costs, and until Obamacare came along they were just providing the maximum coverage for whatever a person was willing to pay? How the hell does one get to be a CEO of anything and spout such nonsense.

Try reading the article, your missing the whole point

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Uh, isn't this a function of the plans offered by the insurance companies? You don't have to buy off the exchange. You can purchase a more expensive insurance plan (like I did) other than on the exchange.
    Nooooooooooo

Didn't u tell us all how your insurance was cheaper under obama care?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

Nooooooooooo

Life time free, hard to beat that Steven.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Nooooooooooo

Yes, insurance cost have gone down. but the exchange is not the sole source of insurance. The insurance companies decide what products to offer on the exchange - all they have to do is meet the minimum requirements.

How does someone oppose something when they have so little knowledge of how it works?

Blaming ObamaCare for the lack of coverage for specific medical facilities is like blaming the cows for the missing children on milk cartons.

Yes, insurance cost have gone down. but the exchange is not the sole source of insurance.
    flippy flopping again?

You said your insurance was going down, you even started a thread about it, and now a couple months later your telling us you decided it wasn't for you huh?

LOL your so funny

flippy flopping again?

You said your insurance was going down, you even started a thread about it, and now a couple months later your telling us you decided it wasn't for you huh?

LOL your so funny
    Shhhh... we are not supposed to remember that.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

How many insurance plans don't cover Roswell now?

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    How many insurance plans don't cover Roswell now?

b.b.
    In the exchange we went to 1 of 3 covered Roswell in network. The others would pay. Out of network costs, and were mostly out of pocket

flippy flopping again?

LOL your so funny
    You can't read or think.

My quarterly premium went down. But I don't get my insurance from the exchange. Go back an check the post.

I realize that checking facts is a novel idea to you and Frank, but doing so before you flap your lips helps to keep others from laughing at you two.

You can't read or think.

My quarterly premium went down. But I don't get my insurance from the exchange. Go back an check the post.

I realize that checking facts is a novel idea to you and Frank, but doing so before you flap your lips helps to keep others from laughing at you two.
    Sir, honestly -- you are the laughing stock of Speakup WNY... want to do a poll?

I forgot about nogods "Emerald City Basketball Academy" insurance LOL,
    Last edited by steven; March 24th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Facts 3, Steven 0.

Looks like you are about as accurate as those who claim the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Facts 3, Steven 0.

Looks like you are about as accurate as those who claim the earth is only 6,000 years old.
    Did I say 6,000?

Thread Information