Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax dollars and duplication - Fire halls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tax dollars and duplication - Fire halls

Has anyone heard what's going on with fire company consolidation in our town? Tax dollars were spent on a large town-wide study to explore consolidation among the fire companies and it seems nothing has happened. I still see three operational fire company's in town. This seems redundant and seems the town duplicating services for its residents. Was this study a waste of my hard earned money? What an outrage! Why am I paying for fire service three times over? Does anyone have any insight on this matter?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How much area does each company protect?

Generally speaking volunteer fire companies are a towns biggest expense. What we need is town wide fire districts that allow for public input and voting on the budget. Right now, most companies act as private organizations that contract with the town. This allows no accountability when it comes to reining in costs. So what you have are fire companies building palatial palaces, buying more trucks they don't need and having parties and meals at the taxpayers expense. Its all about keeping up with the other fire hall down the street 2 miles away. People are so brainwashed into thinking that its all about "safety" and so they don't dare question it.

If my house were on fire I'd rather have it burn to the ground than have a half burned, half water damaged shell that the insurance company won't reimburse fully for.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Generally speaking volunteer fire companies are a towns biggest expense. What we need is town wide fire districts that allow for public input and voting on the budget. Right now, most companies act as private organizations that contract with the town. This allows no accountability when it comes to reining in costs. So what you have are fire companies building palatial palaces, buying more trucks they don't need and having parties and meals at the taxpayers expense. Its all about keeping up with the other fire hall down the street 2 miles away. People are so brainwashed into thinking that its all about "safety" and so they don't dare question it.

If my house were on fire I'd rather have it burn to the ground than have a half burned, half water damaged shell that the insurance company won't reimburse fully for.
    Hmmmm.... interesting observations..... I agree, it gets ugly many times come budget time. That last sentence - I am with you on that.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    People are so brainwashed into thinking that its all about "safety" and so they don't dare question it.

I'm not even going to warrant the consolidation comment with a response since Its been beaten to death on here for years now. However, as a firefighter in this town who cares for each and every resident in Boston and dedicates more time than my wife would like at the fire hall for one reason or another, It sickens me when I hear people bash what the hard working men and women in the service do for them. I've read numerous times about "how many fires do we have anyway" and " Its better off to let it burn" Do people think just because its called a fire company, all they do is put out fires?
    Thank god it hasent happened in town in quite a while, but will you be saying the same thing when your house is on fire with your wife, or children trapped inside? While your standing outside, or not even home, we will be doing everything we can to get them out safely and alive.
    The firefighters also help you or your family trapped in your vehicle after your car wreck, come to your house when your co detector goes off to make sure your family is safe to sleep at night, contain your chimney fire so it does not spread to the rest of your house, or search for you in the middle of the night because your lost in the woods and freezing.
    We get up in the middle of the night, no matter who you are on our own time. Because we WANT TO, not because we have to. If anyone believes that the time put in is because of all of the lavish parties, free beer, and huge awards program, think again! Feel free to come down and fill out an application to see for yourself. The beer budget might be a LOT smaller than you think. If you base all your comments on what you hear from a friend, or what happens at another fire hall, DONT group everyone together.

As for the STUDY mentioned to start this topic, It was NEVER a consolidation study. It was an efficiency study to help the fire companies streamline their operations, be more cost effective, and improve the value to the town. As for the recommendations, they have made changes to the internal workings of the fire companies and we are working better together now than they have in a long time. Boston even sold a piece of equipment and downsized as per the recommendation.

Dont take my wording here wrong and think I'm for spending huge amounts of taxpayer money freely, I'm not. Just stop making the good men and women of the fire service feel as though what they do is not appreciated, Comments like "let it burn" does just that. We work hard at what we do and the reason we do is because we care for the residents of Boston.

Remember, every member of the fire company gets a vote on anything we do. If you dont like how things are run, grab some of your friends, join the company and make a change.......Unless your too busy.

Happy Friday X-Mark !

One at each end and meeting in the middle should still leave plenty of equipment for the parade.
    Isofear Madesoclear - Consolidate & Celebrate!

Have you ever seen a dirty fire truck?

All that equipment is always stored neatly and clean. That entire truck is taken care of. That's why they last so long.

All that specialized equipment isn't cheap!

Or would you rather a paid fire dept like buffalo with their worn out equipment and major budget issues?

You get a big fire you'll be glad you had those stations instead of waiting on hamburg or springville for assistance
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How much area does each company protect?
    Town of Boston is 36 sq miles

Boston Fire Co 13 sq miles

North Boston Fire Co 10 sq miles

Patchin Fire Co 13 sq miles

X mark the study was a waste of money it was written with a predetermined out come. Only show the good nothing bad.

You make excellent points Boston. Do you know what if anything has changed in Patchin Fire Company since the the old regime was ousted? Has the new Chief been able to turn around a crumbling fire company and get it back on track? How long do we wait to see "change" before something needs to be done? Maybe they need a couple more bad apples to resign for the company to flourish...ya know, flush away the bad sediment...

X I just got back in town and was told Rich resigned. Another bad apple gone. I'm told they have a lot of disciplinary problems with the young members and even line officers. Patchins directors had to step in and discipline several members because chief Joe doesn't want to be the bad guy. I don't see Patchin getting back on track. They don't have the leadership to turn the company around. They are paying $80,000 a year in truck payments for trucks they can't staff. Thats half their budget. They have no savings. Their buildings have all been neglected and are in need of major repair. Chief Joe wants to spend spend spend. He has no fiscal sense. X the only change I see is Patchin self destructing and this becoming a 2 fire company town.

If they are so inept why not let it fold and their equipment be used by the other two companies. If there's a "Money Spending issue" go through the books - I assume they receive tax dollars - the local officials can request a full audit.

If there is lack of discipline then it would fall on the Officers - then higher ups. What types of things do you consider problems ?

Hope you don't mind an outsider asking - Thanks !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Are there guide lines setup either federally or state wise for what a volly firehall should have as equipment per population etc?

4248 their members have willing damaged fire company and personal property and they are disrespectful to the officers.

WNYresident the short answer is no. There is nothing saying you must have x number of fire trucks per x number of population.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do the fire halls compare equipment to learn what is useful versus not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information