Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earnings not keeping up with inflation

Earnings not keeping up with inflation

This in from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It makes super interesting reading -- especially the chart on how well various counties kept up with inflation. Some of it is puzzling; it is supposedly broken out by county, yet Lackawanna is in a category all its own. And guess who it shares something in common with? L.A. I knew Lackawanna was a little unusual -- but really!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/30/pf/r...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wages are not keeping with WNY property tax increases.

Originally posted by WNYresident
    Wages are not keeping with WNY property tax increases.
    No question about that. You know what really, really bothers me? When people say, "Well, if you can't afford the taxes, why do you live here?"

The idea being, I guess, that high taxes keep the riff raff out of Amherst.

Right. All it has done is keep people in general out of New York and almost entirely because the property tax burden of paying for the public sector is so incredible.

I have a close friend who has lived here all her life and the constant jumps in assessments and taxes are killing her. She'll need a second job before long, just to pay for taxes. She takes excellent care of her home (for which she is penalized) and is a wonderful stable of our community. Why should she be driven out by the endless appetities of government?

That is just wrong.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    "Well, if you can't afford the taxes, why do you live here?"
    That just burns me.

When I purchased my home my taxes were aproxamately $3300. 7 Years later they are about $4800.00. And what? In another 7 years it could be $6300? Then 7 more years $8500 ?

Even if someone could afford $8500 it's wrong.

Originally posted by WNYresident
    That just burns me.

When I purchased my home my taxes were aproxamately $3300. 7 Years later they are about $4800.00. And what? In another 7 years it could be $6300? Then 7 more years $8500 ?

Even if someone could afford $8500 it's wrong.
    Wow! I think that is why I tend to focus more on local governments and schools. The hit from them is direct and lazer like. No broad, state-wide tax base. Just you and me and our neighbors.

I have a question: Why, do you think, this site never really talks about the cost of k-12 education here? There is nothing like it anywhere in this country and, far more than town or city or village taxes, the cost of schools is the biggest, most painful bite.

Why the silence?

Even during the so-called tax revolt, schools remained almost entirely unscathed. Not even the WBEN talk show people went anywhere near schools.....

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Wow! I think that is why I tend to focus more on local governments and schools. The hit from them is direct and lazer like. No broad, state-wide tax base. Just you and me and our neighbors.

I have a question: Why, do you think, this site never really talks about the cost of k-12 education here? There is nothing like it anywhere in this country and, far more than town or city or village taxes, the cost of schools is the biggest, most painful bite.

Why the silence?

Even during the so-called tax revolt, schools remained almost entirely unscathed. Not even the WBEN talk show people went anywhere near schools.....
    You are correct.
    Though I would like to see you put up a thread just as you stated.
    Then sit back and see how you are ripped to shreads.
    School teachers act as if they are untouchable for the most part.
    The budgets do need to be reigned in. Of course that means salary and benifit cuts.
    Look at BTF. They have publicly declared they are the enemy of the community. They simply will not do anything for the good of the community, even when a contract change means no loss to them. They simply refuse and are taking the school board to court. Good Job Phil!

I agree

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001

Why the silence?

I agree, why no bitching about school taxes???

They have the best scam going with the bs contingency budgets..
    And, how they re-hold the election if people say no.

I mean, we all want good schools, they are the cornerstones of the communities we live in. Look at the top schools, all in affluent towns. But, would it kill them to lock in the taxes at the current rates for a few years?
    These outrageous per student rates is what allows the charters to thrive in the elementary grades.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Re: I agree

Originally posted by LaNdReW
    I agree, why no bitching about school taxes???

They have the best scam going with the bs contingency budgets..
    And, how they re-hold the election if people say no.

I mean, we all want good schools, they are the cornerstones of the communities we live in. Look at the top schools, all in affluent towns. But, would it kill them to lock in the taxes at the current rates for a few years?
    These outrageous per student rates is what allows the charters to thrive in the elementary grades.
    I agree with both you and LHardy

Working up the courage to post a new thread........

Although I can't think of many other professions that require a bachelor's and master's degree and starts under 35k.

Between increases in gasoline, natural gas, and taxes I would need a 10% cost of living increase in my salary to recoup the difference. We typically get 2-3%.

Originally posted by yaksplat
    Although I can't think of many other professions that require a bachelor's and master's degree and starts under 35k.
    In WNY individuals with those degrees are a dime a dozen. Getting a job is more difficult then worrying about the salary.
    I know several people with MBAs' and they would kill for 24k/yr.
    Just to be working.

MBA's were worth something at one point. Then locally, many schools basically started selling them. Between St. Bonaventure, Canisus and a few others i cant think of at the moment, you ante up, attend the classes and get your degree. It's an absolute joke how easy they make it.

moonshine
    It's an absolute joke how easy they make it.
    Got that right. My masters was the biggest waste of money I ever spent. Luckily a few employers footed most of the bill. I'd never recommend an MBA to someone, unless they are going to Stanford, Yale, or Harvard.

I've heard that UB is decent and most likely, the best locally. I'm planning on getting mine at some point, not necessarily because i want to, but because it's the price of admission of some positions. I'll allow my employer to pay for it as well.

Originally posted by LHardy
    In WNY individuals with those degrees are a dime a dozen. Getting a job is more difficult then worrying about the salary.
    I know several people with MBAs' and they would kill for 24k/yr.
    Just to be working.
    They ought to leave the area then. Surely there are decent salaries for them out there somewhere. After all, the rest of the nation's economy is doing much better than the one in WNY.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information