Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The BEAST 50 Most Loathsome People in America, 2005

Talking The BEAST 50 Most Loathsome People in America, 2005

Alright, the writings of the staff at the Beast can be a bit immature at times, but this is a seriously great piece of work.

http://www.buffalobeast.com/91/pf50MLill2005.htm

48. Larry the Cable Guy

Charges: The absolute nadir of the American South’s baffling cultural hegemony. A middle-class Nebraskan, raised in Palm Beach, whose parents sent him to private school, masquerading as an Appalachian mutant and making millions off the nine-toed Cyclopes in his audience by calling his material “blue collar,” when it’s really just a celebration of proud ignorance. The latest in a long line of “entertainers” propagating the lie that real talent is elitist. The South has risen again—just long enough to grab the rest of the nation by the legs and pull it back down to its Lovecraftian depths. Isn’t even “bad funny.” Makes Jeff Foxworthy look like Chris Rock.

Exhibit A: Ostensibly ‘humorous’ catchphrase translates into “complete the task.”

Sentence: Sent back in time for the sole purpose of having Mark Twain’s cigars extinguished on his face.
    33. Johnny Damon

Exhibit A: Going from the Red Sox to the Yankees is like f#cking the guy that murdered your husband.

Maybe your husband deserved it.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

btw, here's the Beast's #1:

1. Pat Robertson

Charges: If Pat Robertson’s local Starbucks caught fire, he would claim that God was punishing them for giving him a caramel latte when he ordered vanilla. Robertson has always been a demonic charlatan with the credibility of Miss Cleo and a lust for Armageddon in his vile, rat-toad heart, but this was really his year to shine. In 2005, Robertson called on God to vacate seats in the Supreme Court (the almighty obliged, killing Rehnquist), advocated assassinating Hugo Chavez, said ‘judicial activists’ were a more serious threat to America than terrorists, called criticism of the war treason, said John Roberts should be thankful for Hurricane Katrina, which he implied was “connected” to Roe v. Wade, attributed Ariel Sharon’s stroke to divine retribution for the Gaza pullout, said “the Antichrist is probably a Jew alive in Israel today,” and implied that God would wipe the residents of Dover, PA off the map for rejecting Creationism. Not to mention raising huge sums of cash from his zombie army, much of which is diverted from his charity operations to his business interests, including African diamond mines. Has long advocated that America simply ignore the Supreme Court. Robertson’s God is an insecure, misogynistic, homicidal fanatic—just like Pat.

Exhibit A: Vehemently opposed to voluntary abortion in America, but okay with forced abortion in China, where his cable investments depend on the good graces of the government.

Sentence: Repeatedly struck by lightning.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

moonshine
    I made it to number 47 before I changed the channel. Immature, misleading, and inaccurate can be used interchangeably to describe this irrelevant rag.

47: Martha Stewart
    Only in America could a plutocrat convicted of insider trading find sympathy among her social inferiors
    Maybe they could get some facts straight if they spent less time researching Larry the Cable Guy's past.

I loved it. Thought it was pretty much on the money for most of them.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

I thought they were pretty good, too -- except for Larry. Obviously, the Beast writers have never journeyed down to Catt or Chautauqua County. There's a reason this area is frequently referred to as "Pennsyltucky"!

I agree!

They were pretty good for the most part...

Funny, sad, but many times true.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Originally posted by moonshine
    I made it to number 47 before I changed the channel. Immature, misleading, and inaccurate can be used interchangeably to describe this irrelevant rag.

47: Martha Stewart

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only in America could a plutocrat convicted of insider trading find sympathy among her social inferiors
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe they could get some facts straight if they spent less time researching Larry the Cable Guy's past.
    Was she found guilty?
    Has she found sympathy?
    Is she a plutocrat?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Talking

Immature, misleading, and inaccurate
    Well, that's rather the point, now isn't it?

Originally posted by LaNdReW
    Was she found guilty?
    Has she found sympathy?
    Is she a plutocrat?
    She was convicted of bstruction of justice and lying to investigators...

In regard to Martha Stewart...

The expression "being able to roll around in [feces] and come out smelling like a rose" comes to mind.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

moonshine
    She was convicted of bstruction of justice and lying to investigators...
    Exactly. Ironically, the beast accepted the mainstream media description of her trial. Far from the truth, but sensational enough to sell newspapers to folks like landrew. I thought the beast was supposed to be an independent rag capable of uncovering truths without the misleading help of CNN.

Exactly. Ironically, the beast accepted the mainstream media description of her trial. Far from the truth, but sensational enough to sell newspapers to folks like landrew. I thought the beast was supposed to be an independent rag capable of uncovering truths without the misleading help of CNN.
    If she wasn't convicted of this, what was she convicted of?

You can make the argument, as some have, that she was singled out because she isn't as politcally well-connected (meant very literally) as some other stock schemers, but she was convicted of profiting from insider info.

moonshine
    As Chris stated:

She was convicted of bstruction of justice and lying to investigators
    Not as saucy as "insider trading".

The fact that Martha Stewart IS Martha Stewart is enough to indicate waht is wrong with todays culture.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information