Thread: Taxes are necessary to provide services

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Taxes are necessary to provide services

Pulled from www.buffalo.com. You are not responding to the acutal writer but your comments would be appreciated.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

10/22/2003

Dan Ward has always voted his conscience as an Amherst councilman and Erie County legislator. Recently, two Amherst politicians have tried to smear him with the awful word that those kind of politicians fear: taxes.
    Taxes pay for the Social Security our seniors deserve and need. Taxes pay the salaries of brave police and firemen who protect us and risk their lives. Taxes help educate our children and bring them together in the American experience. This winter, these taxes will pay for the men and women who make sure our roads are safe and clear of snow. And since 9/11, it is our tax dollars that help support our troops and missions around the world. Taxes also help fund new projects at the University at Buffalo and Roswell Park.

Ward has always been a leader who knows what America and the Democratic system is all about. He's not afraid to vote to help us.

FRANK AUSTIN
    Orchard Park

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    He's exactly right. But now the question is how much do we pay for these services. Currently we pay too much through healthcare coverage and overtime abuse in some areas. Also, we need to trim some of the retirement figures so overtime is not factored into retirement benifits

sbGUY27
    I want to know why the writer thinks that seniors are entitled to social security.

Many seniors collecting SS have never paid a dime into it. Raising taxes will not help children learn. Time and time again this has been proven. Throwing money at something dosen't make it better.

County taxes don't pay for Buffalo firemen or policemen. Or Buffalo street clearing. This is a very miss informed individual. County taxes pay for county things. Will not benefit anyone except medicaid recipients to raise taxes.

Originally posted by sbGUY27
    I want to know why the writer thinks that seniors are entitled to social security.

Many seniors collecting SS have never paid a dime into it. Raising taxes will not help children learn. Time and time again this has been proven. Throwing money at something dosen't make it better.

County taxes don't pay for Buffalo firemen or policemen. Or Buffalo street clearing. This is a very miss informed individual. County taxes pay for county things. Will not benefit anyone except medicaid recipients to raise taxes.
    The City of Buffalo receives a portion of the 3% county sales tax (the County keeps 1%) Actually the way this is distributed is explained on this page: http://www.erie.gov/depts/government..._use_tax.phtml

sbGUY27
    so Mr. warren are you advocating that they raise sales taxes again?

I was thinking more along the lines of property tax. Sales tax never crossed my mind.

I can't stand people that want to raise taxes. These people think because they can afford it the rest can too. If thesepeople want to be idiots with their money let them. But they should not count on mine.just because they think throwing money at a problem helps. The state has been throwing money at Buffalo for years and has only helped the dodos running the joint to screw it up more.

Originally posted by sbGUY27
    so Mr. warren are you advocating that they raise sales taxes again?

I was thinking more along the lines of property tax. Sales tax never crossed my mind.

I can't stand people that want to raise taxes. These people think because they can afford it the rest can too. If thesepeople want to be idiots with their money let them. But they should not count on mine.just because they think throwing money at a problem helps. The state has been throwing money at Buffalo for years and has only helped the dodos running the joint to screw it up more.
    I was thinking more along the lines of enforcing the tax laws that are already on the books. For example collecting the taxes from non-Indians on Indian land.

The sales tax revenue collected from these reservation sales will benefit the County of Erie and all municipalities. This is so regardless if it results in reduced sales on the reservation or not. The purchases will still be made the question is where? Erie County will increase its sales tax revenue because county residents who would normally purchase these goods on the reservation will now have less of an incentive to do so and will purchase them in neighborhood stores. By making these purchases in neighborhood stores they help a local merchant contribute to their neighborhood while at the same time the increased sales tax revenue is used to help keep police and firemen well equipped and on the road. In times where the City is reducing police and fire personnel we have a choice of helping keep some retail positions or having more and/or better equipped police and firefighters.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Bingo

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sbguy

I can't stand people that want to raise taxes. These people think because they can afford it the rest can too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can afford it but I don't like it either so I know people who can't afford it must be livid when that is said.

I'm going to babble now......

Wasn't there some football player (someone rich) that agreeded that orchard park should build a new expensive school and a few bucks a week is nothing.

To him it's nothing but to some parent that might be the kids allowance. That could be your monthly hobby money, but to him.. it's nothing. Now if you are on a fix income you must go without something to make up that difference. Plus still have a life and not have to get a second job just to live in WNY.

Now the politicians and unions think thier little nothings (cost increases) don't add up much. As we can see from soaring cost to live in WNY that those little nothings over the years have added up to a very lot. Honestly, just too much.

Those politicians would of gotten the school voted through if they could without thought of the people paying for it. To them it's nothing seeing they just vote themselves raises or guarantees to have thier expenses covered plus they get holidays off. Lots of them too...

Just think of the developer friends of the politicians just ready to profit from building that brand new school. The best of everything and all that profit for the same developers that donate to get them re-elected each year.

Don't you think that the developers want their little townboard buds voting all type of building projects so they can profit on each building? New roads, new buildings etc.Specially if the bidding process is tainted a little?

How many millions of dollars has giambra spent with once office furniture store? He can shop at walmarts like the rest of everyone else! It's our money, not his to spend stupidily.

Did the $1,000,000,000 public school rebuilding project get bided out nation wide? Are we going to get $400,000,000 worth of schools for $1,000,000,000? I haven't been reading up on that but there's a lot of money that is going to be spent. It should be monitored very well...

exactly what was the main focus of this thread?

In times where the City is reducing police and fire personnel we have a choice of helping keep some retail positions or having more and/or better equipped police and firefighters.

We already have just about the highest overall taxation burden imposed in America today. Just how much more money do you think local and regional governments need? I have a better idea: how about fundamentally changing the structure of how things are done here before you ask the taxpayer for one more cent!

Kudos to you for attempting to portray the problem of Unbelievably Inefficient Local Government as brought on by the Indians on the reservations. That’s what lobbyists do, I guess. Sounds like you're telling Joe Sixpack and Sally Housecoat "If we allow NYS to tax YOU wherever YOU buy stuff, the local economy will thrive and all OUR problems will go away!".

Please....you're part of the problem, not the solution.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Ever feel in WNY we have the blind leading the blind controled by the stupid.

Notice any business that is more expensive than another business normally goes out of business? IT's not good practice to be overly costly than your compeition. Perhaps you have better service to make up for the cost difference but that's the customers choice. If your quality of service is much better than your competition the client will pay the higher price.

Why in NYS they don't look at the cost of living here tax wise compared to other states?

Thread Information