Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: has anyone followed the money on kevin gaughan?

Unregistered

has anyone followed the money on kevin gaughan?

today kevin gaughan was on hardline. he talked about the funding he gets from two foundations and University at Buffalo. funds he is recieving for his downsizing of government campaign. is it oshei? is it whent? isn't is a violation of IRS laws? what he's doing is aiding politians to eliminating opposition. what does it do to the tax status of these foundations? is he's using this money for newspaper ads? slingers for the neighborhoods? possibly paying people to do lit drops? dan warren, do you know some of the answers for me?

Unregistered
    knowing kevin gaughan's downsizing is a partisan plan. in some extra reading. i found this:

Exceptions. This rule does not apply to non-partisan activities carried on under all the following conditions:

1. The organization making the expenditure is described in section 501(c)(3) and is exempt from tax,
    2. Its activities are nonpartisan, are not confined to one specific election period, and are carried on in at least five states,
    3. The organization spends at least 85 percent of its income directly for the active conduct of the exempt purposes or functions for which it is organized and operated;
    4. The organization receives at least 85 percent of its support (other than gross investment income) from exempt organizations, the general public, governmental units, or any combination of these; it does not receive more than 25 percent of its support (other than gross investment income) from any one exempt organization; and it does not receive more than 50 percent of its support from gross investment income, and
    5. Contributions to the organization for voter registration drives are not subject to conditions that they may be used only in specified states or other localities of the United States, or that they may be used in only one specific election period.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree_hugger29 View Post
    knowing kevin gaughan's downsizing is a partisan plan. in some extra reading. i found this:
    Well considering he's tried this in a few towns rangning for the far left Chek to the middle of the road Amherst, i'd agree it's partisan! But why does it matter to you?

He had nothing to do with the county and the city hasn't even been talked about, other than those two areas your opinion doesn't count for anything. It would be like Ted Kennedy a person in New Jersey talking about NYS problems, THEIR OPINIONS DON'T COUNT!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Well considering he's tried this in a few towns rangning for the far left Chek to the middle of the road Amherst, i'd agree it's partisan! But why does it matter to you?

He had nothing to do with the county and the city hasn't even been talked about, other than those two areas your opinion doesn't count for anything. It would be like Ted Kennedy a person in New Jersey talking about NYS problems, THEIR OPINIONS DON'T COUNT!
    my opinion counts for everything because i live in NYS. i pay taxes to NYS every year. i am not leaving NYS. if it's anything WNY i should be allowed to comment on anything. like you are when talking about buffalo from your amherst home. i'm not a kennedy in another state. i am a tree hugger in WNY. my questions about partisanship counts like a vote at election time.
    Last edited by Tree_hugger29; May 31st, 2009 at 11:55 PM.

Yeah, if you knew anything about local politics you'd know that while Gaughan gets some institutional support, he's loaded and would be doing the same thing regardless. How do you think he planned on funding his bid for mayor in the last election? O'Shei et al wasn't behind that in the least.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Think!

Quote Originally Posted by Tree_hugger29 View Post
    ++++++++

partisan |ˈpärtəzən|
    noun
    1 a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person.
    2 a member of an armed group formed to fight secretly against an occupying force, in particular one operating in enemy-occupied Yugoslavia, Italy, and parts of eastern Europe in World War II.
    adjective
    prejudiced in favor of a particular cause : newspapers have become increasingly partisan.
    DERIVATIVES
    partisanship |-ˌ sh ip| |ˈpɑrdəzənˈʃɪp| noun
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French, via Italian dialect from Italian partigiano, from parte ‘part’ (from Latin pars, part-).

You're using partisan incorrectly: Kevin's downsizing is surely partisan as a cause, although it transcends political partisanship in as much as it's not about any one party. It's not about partisan politics, which indeed is prohibited in many instances within not-for-profit foundations.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTymeRevival View Post
    You're using partisan incorrectly: Kevin's downsizing is surely partisan as a cause, although it transcends political partisanship in as much as it's not about any one party. It's not about partisan politics, which indeed is prohibited in many instances within not-for-profit foundations.
    the question of this is about foundations' contributions to kevin gaughan. how they stand on the funding of activities that are partisan, are confined to one specific election period, and are not carried on in at least five states. it's confined to one specific election in WS. what are the 4 other states?

The rule that the exceptions apply to:

The Restriction of Political Campaign Intervention by Section 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Organizations

Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.

Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.

On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention.

Influencing elections and carrying on voter registration drives

Taxable expenditures include amounts paid or incurred by a private foundation to influence the outcome of any specific public election or to carry on, directly or indirectly, any voter registration drive. Activities that are considered participation or intervention in a political campaign include, but are not limited to:

1. Publishing or distributing written or printed statements or making oral statements on behalf of or in opposition to a candidate,
    2. Paying salaries or expenses of campaign workers, and
    3. Conducting or paying the expenses of conducting a voter registration drive limited to the geographic area covered by the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    Yeah, if you knew anything about local politics you'd know that while Gaughan gets some institutional support, he's loaded and would be doing the same thing regardless. How do you think he planned on funding his bid for mayor in the last election? O'Shei et al wasn't behind that in the least.
    If he is loaded and/or backed by loaded people he mishandles money poorly. He was sued by the Hyatt Hotel and apparently still owes an a judgment obtained by them for nearly $10,000.00 ( http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=30851 ) in connection with his 2005 run for office. He also was sued by Kinko's for nearly $2,000.00.

But he knows how to save us money
    Last edited by dtwarren; June 1st, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    If he is loaded and/or backed by loaded people he mishandles money poorly. He was sued by the Hyatt Hotel and apparently still owes an a judgment obtained by them for nearly $10,000.00 ( http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=30851 ) in connection with his 2005 run for office. He also was sued by Kinko's for nearly $2,000.00.

But he knows how to save us money
    You both are a little ridiculous. DT and Woody. Why? You make a comment about him mishandling money yet the people he wants to downsize mishandle our money. I think going to 3 total votes in WS might be a little too downsized but you both should read what your posting.

In all "honesty" woody, you are the best example of the pot calling the kettle black I have ever seen. The day you start targeting your own party faults is the day you should point out faults of any other party or group.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You both are a little ridiculous. DT and Woody. Why? You make a comment about him mishandling money yet the people he wants to downsize mishandle our money. I think going to 3 total votes in WS might be a little too downsized but you both should read what your posting.

In all "honesty" woody, you are the best example of the pot calling the kettle black I have ever seen. The day you start targeting your own party faults is the day you should point out faults of any other party or group.
    Actually your broad stroke of them costing us money does not fly in the case of West Seneca.

The two council members that would be eliminated if this measure passes were 2/3 to 50% of the majority in votes that saved the town money, those who did not support these savings are the ones that will remain if this measure passes.

A five member town board was able to avert the award of a no bid contract for the remediation of the West Seneca Ice Rink under the guise of an emergency this past summer. In doing so the cost after competitive bidding saved the taxpayers approximately $60,000. In July of 2008 during the absence of the Town Supervisor it was discovered that the Supervisor had not informed the Board of the issue of the non-payment of the Town’s health insurance coverage for its employees. Through the action of three board members the cancelation of this coverage was not only averted but through their negotiations and efforts our cost was reduced by approximately $800,000. Two of these three board members would be eliminated if this measure passes. Haven’t they saved the town more money in one year than we pay them for their four year term in office? Getting rid of them will cost, not save money.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.

On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention.
    two things to question.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Actually your broad stroke of them costing us money does not fly in the case of West Seneca.
    kevin gaughan is using the pay of two part time employees to devide a town. to devide friends. devide neighbors. the board can phase out 2 sanitation employees. save the same amount of money. something that strikes me as odd is kevin gaughan getting funding from foundations to oust elected representation. there might be something smelling illegal about it.

Look at kevin's bills from his big conference at the Chatauqua Institution...deadbeat on those as well. Of course Donny Esmonde doesn't write about those. Gaughan's his buddy.
    Fully stimulated...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post
    Look at kevin's bills from his big conference at the Chatauqua Institution...deadbeat on those as well. Of course Donny Esmonde doesn't write about those. Gaughan's his buddy.
    Look at all the BILLS our local "representatives" have stuck us with. We got kettles and pots all over the place..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information