A recent writer to this column asked, "Why are state pensions not subject to income tax?" The answer is simple - our New York State legislators, the second-highest paid in the United States and probably the most incompetent, passed this law to protect their own pensions.
Did you also know that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled several years ago that if a state did not tax its own pensions, it was prohibited from taxing federal pensions or retirement pay. Therefore, since 1987 I have paid no state income tax because my Social Security and Army retirement pay cannot be taxed by the state. I benefit from this, but my common sense and conscience tell me that this is totally unfair to the other taxpayers in this high-tax state.

Considering that every person on the payroll of any village, town, city, county and the state pays no state tax on his or her pension, or any federal pension, the loss to the state must be in the high millions every year.

Complain if you will to your state senator or assemblyman, but it will do no good. Nothing, considering the apathy and/or ignorance of the public, will compel these people to stop the gravy train.

DEALTON T. BOOTH
Buffalo

www.buffalo.com