Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unemployment Insurance benefit extension

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    I know dimwit,what about all the jobs i worked prior to my 1099 days.I guess that doe is gone right Sally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    Another mensa member. I aint asking for nor am I worried about it. I just made a point I never collected one dime. The longest I have everbeen ou of work was two days. Hows you record Doctor!!!!!!!
    Yes, all that "dough" is gone. But you never paid one thin dime towards it. Your Employer did! Employees dont pay for U.I.

Let me use my automobile insurance example one more time: All the insurance policy premiums you paid over the years went towards paying other drivers to repair their damaged/stolen cars. If you never once made a claim, then all that "dough" is gone. But you do get a shiny silver star for being accident free!

Nearly 10 Million people are collecting unemployment insurance in the USA. A record 46% of the 15.3 million jobless Americans have been out of work for 6 months or longer. Some 1.2 million people will run out of their jobless benefits in June if the Senate fails to act, according to the National Employment Law Project.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/28/news...x.htm?hpt=Sbin

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    Nearly 10 Million people are collecting unemployment insurance in the USA. A record 46% of the 15.3 million jobless Americans have been out of work for 6 months or longer. Some 1.2 million people will run out of their jobless benefits in June if the Senate fails to act, according to the National Employment Law Project.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/28/news...x.htm?hpt=Sbin
    Could this be true? I thought the Obama was making unemployment his top concern! I guess this is true if you consider that he IS giving UNemployment his top priority.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

It's funny, a couple of people I know who own businesses said they are having a difficult time finding people to work. I asked, "why so many people are out of work, I thought you would be able to find people?" Both said the same thing, unemployment benefits are the problem. Obama extended again, (I am not sure what the amount is now) and these people would rather get the big check than work for it. One person said to the employer, "when the bene's run out can I come and work for you?"

I own a business and I'm wondering how much my unemployment insurance is going to go up to cover this.

NYS is such a wonderful place to run a business.....GAG!!!!!!!!!
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    ...and no, I'm not about to go welfare queen...but out of curiosity, how much of your former salary does Unemployment pay?
    it goes by a percentage.. that 425 is usually what Union members get on UE.
    So if tyou worked a min wage job 40 hours a week you UE is probably barely 100 bux a week

I am curious, what is the rate now for unemployment. What percentage does a person collect vs their paycheck. Is it less than 50% they receive or did I hear it went up to 65%?

I think unemployment being extended my stall the person's motivation to look for work if it is over 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    NY currently pays a maximum of $430 per week. Under the current economic crisis, it has been extended from originally 26 weeks, to now 72 weeks.

The maximum weekly amount of $430 is paultry compared to other states like Pennysylvania, the Carolinas, etc. Some states pay up $650 per week.
    Not everyone recieves the maximun benefit, it goes by your income. Only the top dollar jobs anf the Unions get that $430 payment... most of the others get much less.

It's based on your highest quarter earnings of which you get about 50%, so a person who made $15 an hour will get about $325 a week. This is subject to Federal taxes, but I don't think NYS income taxes...

FYI, BIO, this shouldn't effect your UI to much since anything past 26 weeks is paid by the FED, AKA CHINA and not the state and their UI funds.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    It's based on your highest quarter earnings of which you get about 50%, so a person who made $15 an hour will get about $325 a week. This is subject to Federal taxes, but I don't think NYS income taxes...

FYI, BIO, this shouldn't effect your UI to much since anything past 26 weeks is paid by the FED, AKA CHINA and not the state and their UI funds.
    Wow, 325 a week, that is alot interms of collecting this for how long now 2 years? Work jobs under the table and wow, people make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I am curious, what is the rate now for unemployment. What percentage does a person collect vs their paycheck. Is it less than 50% they receive or did I hear it went up to 65%?

I think unemployment being extended my stall the person's motivation to look for work if it is over 50%.
    NY Unemployment benefits are 50% of your salary, with a maximum of $405. Anyone who earns at least $1 on NY Unemployment gets an additional payment of $25 from the federal government, making the total maximum $430.

This MAXIMUM is about is $20K/year. Which means that someone who was used to receiving $40/50/60K/year has to now survive on $20K/year until they get a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    NY Unemployment benefits are 50% of your salary, with a maximum of $405. Anyone who earns at least $1 on NY Unemployment gets an additional payment of $25 from the federal government, making the total maximum $430.

This MAXIMUM is about is $20K/year. Which means that someone who was used to receiving $40/50/60K/year has to now survive on $20K/year until they get a new job.
    Or they could collect unemployment for 26 weeks and then get a 20K/year job when the unemployment runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Or they could collect unemployment for 26 weeks and then get a 20K/year job when the unemployment runs out.
    Unfortunately, I think this is what is happening all across America. People who had good middle-class jobs of 40,50,60K are having to find jobs for 20K or less to replace those.

And while someone is unemployed earning 20K, there is no reason to work at walmart when they can earn more doing nothing. When their benefits are up, then they'll be at walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Unfortunately, I think this is what is happening all across America. People who had good middle-class jobs of 40,50,60K are having to find jobs for 20K or less to replace those.

And while someone is unemployed earning 20K, there is no reason to work at walmart when they can earn more doing nothing. When their benefits are up, then they'll be at walmart.
    Exactly. There is no need to give someone almost 2 years of money for doing nothing. It leaves little motivation to get a job quickly. I would love to see a study done that would show how many weeks of unemployment were left when people actually get a new job and come off of unemployment. I would bet this is somewhere between 2 months and 2 weeks before benefits run out.

ya cause jobs are a plenty out there
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    ya cause jobs are a plenty out there
    didn't you read the BN, we have over 650 job openings in WNY!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information