Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I believe Amherst should be organized and employees paid.

How I believe Amherst should be organized and employees paid.

I don't know why no one has never thought of this. There are plenty of bloggers who simply sit back and judge what everyone else says.

This is their opportunity to give all the readers their vision of Amherst today and int the future

You can use your thread to tell us how you think the Town of Amherst should be organized, what departments to be expanded or eliminated, what jobs should be cut or eliminated, and what you think elected officials, department heads, police, and other employees should receive in pay and benefits.

Usually Right you go first, followed by Left Wing, then Etc., and the rest. Put away those fancy one-liners and get your thinking caps on - Ready, Set, Go...

Oh Come on !

C'mon Mikey - you go first.
    dono

Mike - Be a Leader

Mike:

You really do appear to be on the defensive more than you should be.

I think that you've started a great thread - one that can make a difference assuming that those with the ability to effect change read this MB.

But I agree with Mr. Oakley - you go first.

Having had political aspirations yourself and not being particularly shy on this Board, what would you do to make things better? Maybe you are happy with the status quo.(?)

What are the 3 most important campaign promises that the new Supervisor can implement? What can your candidates Ward and Bucki do to make a difference? Remember Mike, words are one thing, actions speak louder than words.

What would you do Mike?
    Bring Back Jack!

C'mon now

C'mon sharpshooter - don't give him any help.
    dono

Re: Oh Come on !

Originally posted by Dvoakley
    C'mon Mikey - you go first.
    So you are #1.

You have nothing to offer.

Thanks

Re: Mike - Be a Leader

Originally posted by SharpeShooter
    Mike:

You really do appear to be on the defensive more than you should be.

I think that you've started a great thread - one that can make a difference assuming that those with the ability to effect change read this MB.

But I agree with Mr. Oakley - you go first.

Having had political aspirations yourself and not being particularly shy on this Board, what would you do to make things better? Maybe you are happy with the status quo.(?)

What are the 3 most important campaign promises that the new Supervisor can implement? What can your candidates Ward and Bucki do to make a difference? Remember Mike, words are one thing, actions speak louder than words.

What would you do Mike?
    So you have nothing to offer either.

You are #2

Thanks

Re: How I believe Amherst should be organized and employees paid.

Originally posted by mikewrona
    I don't know why no one has never thought of this. There are plenty of bloggers who simply sit back and judge what everyone else says.

This is their opportunity to give all the readers their vision of Amherst today and int the future

You can use your thread to tell us how you think the Town of Amherst should be organized, what departments to be expanded or eliminated, what jobs should be cut or eliminated, and what you think elected officials, department heads, police, and other employees should receive in pay and benefits.

Usually Right you go first, followed by Left Wing, then Etc., and the rest. Put away those fancy one-liners and get your thinking caps on - Ready, Set, Go...
    So far we've had two of the one liner crowd respond. They of course have nothing to offer.

Jack Sharpe and Dvoakley. Will critique what you say but offer nothing of their own.

Talking

Wanna know what I think?

Originally posted by Gandalf
    Wanna know what I think?
    Don't see anything written, so apparently nothing.

You are #3

Thanks

I'll Start

OK Mike, I'll start:

1. As Dr. Mohan has a background in Engineering (albeit Transportation focused), this should be his starting place as this is probably the most troublesome and costly department in the Town. What happened as the result of the wants ads for Town Engineer that appears in the Snooze? The Supervisor needs to evaluate the current leadership and make changes. He indicated that he would "in-source" more professional services to save money but I don't feel that he has the expertise to accomplish this effectively. Mohan can make his biggest impacts by sorting out the mess at Plant 16.

2. Mohan should consider consolidating Engineering and Highway into one department; the Department of Public Works (or Services). The head of this this department should be appointed, not elected, thereby eliminating the potential for "political" appointments to a Town Department. Current Engineer and Highway unions should be consolidated into one bargaining unit. Currently, there is a significant amount of overlap between Highway and Engineering functions (sanitary vs. storm sewer, road surface vs. right of way underground work. This won't be easy but it would streamilne the process considerably.

3. The Williamsville Library branch should be closed per the recommendations of the Library review board. Amherst doesn't need and can't financially support 4 libraries in Town. As the Town owns the building, it can be used to ease the overcrowded conditions currently existing at Town Hall.

4. Youth, Senior and Recreation Departments should be consolidated into one department (Amherst Resident Services). Agains, duplication in administration, equipment and services could be eliminated and significant savings could be realized.

5. Amherst should look to the County for Emergency Services support and not have to support its own department. Jim Z is a hard worker and does add value but, in an attempt to reduce the size of government and cut costs, this is an area that is more luxury than necessary - also, Police does an excellent job of keeping current with various Federal, State and Local police agencies relative to Homeland Security issues.

6. Someone should finally research the cost effectiveness of the current fire district set up in Town. This is THE sacred cow and, to the best of my knowledge, has never been challenged, investigated or reviewed. The costs are significant, the duplication of equipment is unbelievable (just witness the parade of equipment at the Old Home Days parade). I have nothing against the volunteers who risk their lives in protecting our community and providing necessary services but I think that it is high time to have a third party review the current system and make recommendations for improvement.

There you go...a start.

Put your money where your mouth is Mike...
    Bring Back Jack!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Got to agree with sharpshooter to a point. Signing every check is not where to start on saving money. A compiled list of employees to look over would of been much more efficient than physically signing every check.

Hey, Sharpeshooter

I like your plan. Could be a great improvement. BUT, when has a political group, like the Amherst Town Board EVER done the best thing for the Town? Paybacks, patronage, constituency, personal interest all impact on reducing the cost of government. Each councilmember must be a part of the GROUP, not grandstander. Not one of our stars will ever take a backseat and not be the ‘leader’, which translates into getting re-elected. I hold out no hope for 4 votes to do the right thing. Sad.

Mikey, Mikey,

You did it again.

What are you going to do now; tell all your fellow Dems that these were your ideas?

You don't have any original ideas. All you do is copy your material from other sites.

I think you must have majored in ambiology in college.

Re: I'll Start

Originally posted by SharpeShooter
    OK Mike, I'll start:

1. As Dr. Mohan has a background in Engineering (albeit Transportation focused), this should be his starting place as this is probably the most troublesome and costly department in the Town. What happened as the result of the wants ads for Town Engineer that appears in the Snooze? The Supervisor needs to evaluate the current leadership and make changes. He indicated that he would "in-source" more professional services to save money but I don't feel that he has the expertise to accomplish this effectively. Mohan can make his biggest impacts by sorting out the mess at Plant 16.

2. Mohan should consider consolidating Engineering and Highway into one department; the Department of Public Works (or Services). The head of this this department should be appointed, not elected, thereby eliminating the potential for "political" appointments to a Town Department. Current Engineer and Highway unions should be consolidated into one bargaining unit. Currently, there is a significant amount of overlap between Highway and Engineering functions (sanitary vs. storm sewer, road surface vs. right of way underground work. This won't be easy but it would streamilne the process considerably.

3. The Williamsville Library branch should be closed per the recommendations of the Library review board. Amherst doesn't need and can't financially support 4 libraries in Town. As the Town owns the building, it can be used to ease the overcrowded conditions currently existing at Town Hall.

4. Youth, Senior and Recreation Departments should be consolidated into one department (Amherst Resident Services). Agains, duplication in administration, equipment and services could be eliminated and significant savings could be realized.

5. Amherst should look to the County for Emergency Services support and not have to support its own department. Jim Z is a hard worker and does add value but, in an attempt to reduce the size of government and cut costs, this is an area that is more luxury than necessary - also, Police does an excellent job of keeping current with various Federal, State and Local police agencies relative to Homeland Security issues.

6. Someone should finally research the cost effectiveness of the current fire district set up in Town. This is THE sacred cow and, to the best of my knowledge, has never been challenged, investigated or reviewed. The costs are significant, the duplication of equipment is unbelievable (just witness the parade of equipment at the Old Home Days parade). I have nothing against the volunteers who risk their lives in protecting our community and providing necessary services but I think that it is high time to have a third party review the current system and make recommendations for improvement.

There you go...a start.

Put your money where your mouth is Mike...
    Why just Mike, whoever he is. You undo your attempt at clear thinking and discussion by singling him out; it becomes, as usual, about personality clashes...

For all it matters, I think some of your ideas are super. What or who do you invision for a third party review? I think it would have to be an outside, professional organization -- otherwise, it might get all tangled up in politics....

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious

Re: Re: I'll Start

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Why just Mike, whoever he is. You undo your attempt at clear thinking and discussion by singling him out; it becomes, as usual, about personality clashes...

Nothing of the kind. The fact is that Mike started the thread without "priming the pump", so to speak. That's all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information