Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to Lancaster Central School District

Kudos to Lancaster Central School District

It was with great satisfaction when I read the quarterly ‘Your Lancaster Schools’ publication and learned that for the first time in history our school district was recognized as one of the 427 school districts in the United States and Canada by the College Board on their fourth annual District Honor Roll.

The College Board is a not-for-profit organization committed to excellence and equity in education. The organization promotes excellence and equity in education through programs for K-12 and higher education institutions, and by providing students a path to college opportunities, including financial support and scholarships – through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators, schools and colleges.

This year a record breaking 87 Lancaster High School students were named AP scholars based on their exceptional achievement on the college-level advanced placement (AP) assessment exams taken in May 2013. Fourteen AP courses are offered by LCSD. 350 students took AP exams; a total of 750 exams and where 255 AP scores were at level 3 or higher.

About AP Scores

Your AP score shows how well you did on the AP Exam. It's also a measure of your achievement in your college-level AP course. This score will be used by colleges and universities to determine if they will grant you credit for what you've already learned, or allow you to skip the equivalent course once you get to college (this is known as advanced placement).

Your score is a weighted combination of your scores on the multiple-choice section and on the free-response section. The final score is reported on a 5-point scale as follows:

5 = extremely well qualified
    4 = well qualified
    3 = qualified
    2 = possibly qualified
    1 = no recommendation

"Qualified" means that you have proven yourself capable of doing the work of an introductory-level course in a particular subject at college. Many colleges and universities grant credit and placement for scores of 3, 4 or 5; however, each college decides which scores it will accept.

Bob Alig, Vice President of the College Board Middle States Regional Board declared the increasing both participation and the number of students earning 3 or higher on their AP exams is the ideal scenario for a district’s AP program because it indicates that the district is successfully identifying motivated, academically prepared students who are likely to benefit most from rigorous AP coursework. Expanding access to AP courses while improving performance is a difficult balancing act. The commitment of your school district providing equitable access to all students while improving overall performance is to be commended.”

Last month, Dr Marie Perini, Asst Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and PPS, gave a detailed PowerPoint presentation on the 2012-13 NYS Report Card. Speaking on the progress the district has made overall in the past five years, and acknowledging the progress of the AP program, Pirini declared it was a great report and a tribute to teachers and administrators and the entire school staff.

Dr. Pirini especially recognized the contributions made by District Superintendent Dr. Michael Vallely. “When Dr. Valley entered the District in 2006 as Asst Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and PPS, he looked at the scores and deemed them not acceptable. He declared that there were a lot of kids sitting there unchallenged. As you seen tonight from the data, we seeing the results of the programs put in place and the numbers bearing out that we are headed in the right direction. At one time we had concerns that we would not have enough students to fill AP courses. Now we have an abundance of children that want to be in those AP courses. I have served on this board for 12 years and have seen our district climb from a Business First ranking of 82 in 1995 to 9th this past school year. We have come a long way especially because of the teachers, but also because of the efforts of everyone, right on down to the bus drivers. We all want the best for our students and will do our best to provide the means and opportunity that is required.”

Lancaster has a great school system; the data speaks for itself. You wouldn’t know that from the way the district and Board of Education get slammed at times; at school board meetings and in the media.

No, I don't have the funding as Business first or any other "Study Group" does and I am not a stats major - so this is a opinion/estimate !

While this is all good - as usual about 29% of Lancaster High School students are les than prepared for college.

So should we applaud for the almost 30 % that are just graduating ?

"This year a record breaking 87 Lancaster High School students were named AP scholars based on their exceptional achievement on the college - level advanced placement (AP) assessment exams taken in May 2013. Fourteen AP courses are offered by LCSD.

350 students took AP exams; a total of 750 exams and where 255 AP scores were at level 3 or higher 350 students took AP exams; a total of 750 exams and where 255 AP scores were at level 3 or higher" end quote.

"

There is over 680 school districts in New York State alone - so if this study was "National and included Canada" - please post the study so we can see how they boiled it down and figure out how they arrived at this !

According to another study :Lancaster High School students are:

Proficient in English (district average) 96%

Proficient in Math (district average) 98%

350 students took the tests - we lost 125 who scored lower or unprepared for college !

So lets say the whole 225 of the prepared students make it to college - given the 13 % average college 4 year completion rate = about 50+/- will even graduate will a 4 year career boosting degree (that's is all 225 go to college) !

College Readiness (district average) 29.9 (29,9 percent of our High School Grads are ready for college) - what happened to the rest and how many of the 29% will graduate a 4 year college ? The last study I saw said about 13% +/- - so that means = ?

Now if I were business first - or another feel groovy group - I would say - "50 Lancaster Graduates will some day be members of a small prestigious Group"

The other 300 will work at Mc Donald's , Their Daddies Company or the Town of Lancaster if they are "connected"
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    No, I don't have the funding as Business first or any other "Study Group" does and I am not a stats major - so this is a opinion/estimate !

While this is all good - as usual about 29% of Lancaster High School students are les than prepared for college.

So should we applaud for the almost 30 % that are just graduating ?

"This year a record breaking 87 Lancaster High School students were named AP scholars based on their exceptional achievement on the college - level advanced placement (AP) assessment exams taken in May 2013. Fourteen AP courses are offered by LCSD.

350 students took AP exams; a total of 750 exams and where 255 AP scores were at level 3 or higher 350 students took AP exams; a total of 750 exams and where 255 AP scores were at level 3 or higher" end quote.

"

There is over 680 school districts in New York State alone - so if this study was "National and included Canada" - please post the study so we can see how they boiled it down and figure out how they arrived at this !

According to another study :Lancaster High School students are:

Proficient in English (district average) 96%

Proficient in Math (district average) 98%

350 students took the tests - we lost 125 who scored lower or unprepared for college !

So lets say the whole 225 of the prepared students make it to college - given the 13 % average college 4 year completion rate = about 50+/- will even graduate will a 4 year career boosting degree (that's is all 225 go to college) !

College Readiness (district average) 29.9 (29,9 percent of our High School Grads are ready for college) - what happened to the rest and how many of the 29% will graduate a 4 year college ? The last study I saw said about 13% +/- - so that means = ?

Now if I were business first - or another feel groovy group - I would say - "50 Lancaster Graduates will some day be members of a small prestigious Group"

The other 300 will work at Mc Donald's , Their Daddies Company or the Town of Lancaster if they are "connected"
    You are spot on Rick when you say that you are not a statistician, just giving your opinion – which you are entitled to.

For you to take a positive school district national recognition where 72.8% of the 350 students taking the AP tests were deemed AP Scholars and to spin that and turn that into something negative is reprehensible and disturbing.

The 255 students receiving scores of 3 or higher are to be commended for their initiative, drive and perseverance. The school district administrators and teachers are to be equally commended for improving an educational system in the last decade that has seen AP enrollment increase as it has and where Lancaster is now rated in the top ten of Western New York school districts.

But that’s not the way you read or see something here. You consider the 125 students as failures where no one knows whether they scored 2’s or 1’s and are indeed prepped for college. I think the latter and this has no bearing on future outcome. You know better than that.

You take this to another level, unfortunately downhill. Merry Christmas Scrooge!

Merry Christmas -

Lee stated, "You consider the 125 students as failures where no one knows whether they scored 2’s or 1’s and are indeed prepped for college. I think the latter and this has no bearing on future outcome. You know better than that"

No, Lee I didn't say they were failures - you did. The stats you referred to didn't state whether the 125 scored 2 or 1 either - did they ?

If you choose to attack me - fine - I still want to see the full study - you claimed I spun my opinion - maybe they spun what you were told ? ! ? - But that's OK - cause you trumpeted it - good for you !

I just pointed out - while others are patting each other on their backs - I would like to know the rest of the story - or doesn't that matter !

How much do we spend per student compare to the other 599 schools. What schools were considered - what do they spend per student ?

What about the ones who aren't "scholars" ? I guess we don't care about them !

I tend to believe that word was a bit of "spin" =

schol•ar (ˈskɒl ər)

n.
    1. a learned or erudite person, esp. one who has profound knowledge of a particular subject.

2. a student who has been awarded a scholarship.

3. a student; pupil.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas time doesn't mean I need to forget the less fortunate -

So I choose to remind people everyone isn't a "scholar" - yet all students deserve the same education and chance at a college education - don't you ?

Also none of the questions I raised/posed were answered - instead you attack me - so be it !

According to this website - http://professionals.collegeboard.co...ict-honor-roll

Districts are being honored for increasing access to AP® course work while simultaneously maintaining or increasing the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher on AP Exams.

Inclusion on the 4th Annual AP District Honor Roll is based on the examination of three years of AP data, from 2011 to 2013, for the following criteria.

Increased participation/access to AP by at least 4 percent in large districts, at least 6 percent in medium districts, and at least 11 percent in small districts

Increased or maintained the percentage of exams taken by African American, Hispanic/Latino, and American Indian/Alaska Native students

Improved performance levels when comparing the percentage of students in 2013 scoring a 3 or higher to those in 2011, unless the district has already attained a performance level at which more than 70 percent of its AP students are scoring a 3 orhigher.

When these outcomes have been achieved among an AP student population in which 30 percent or more are underrepresented minority students (Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/Alaska Native) and/or 30 percent or more are low-income students (students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch), a symbol has been affixed to the district name to highlight this work.

Here's the list

Orchard Park is the only other Erie county district on the list

Georgia L Schlager

Merry Christmas -

Lee stated, "You consider the 125 students as failures where no one knows whether they scored 2’s or 1’s and are indeed prepped for college. I think the latter and this has no bearing on future outcome. You know better than that"

No, Lee I didn't say they were failures - you did. The stats you referred to didn't state whether the 125 scored 2 or 1 either - did they ?

If you choose to attack me - fine - I still want to see the full study - you claimed I spun my opinion - maybe they spun what you were told ? ! ? - But that's OK - cause you trumpeted it - good for you !

I just pointed out - while others are patting each other on their backs - I would like to know the rest of the story - or doesn't that matter !

How much do we spend per student compare to the other 599 schools. What schools were considered - what do they spend per student ?

What about the ones who aren't "scholars" ? I guess we don't care about them !

I tend to believe that word was a bit of "spin" =

schol•ar (ˈskɒl ər)

n.
    1. a learned or erudite person, esp. one who has profound knowledge of a particular subject.

2. a student who has been awarded a scholarship.

3. a student; pupil.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas time doesn't mean I need to forget the less fortunate -

So I choose to remind people everyone isn't a "scholar" - yet all students deserve the same education and chance at a college education - don't you ?

Also none of the questions I raised/posed were answered - instead you attack me - so be it !
    For once Rick, just for once, take something at face value and don’t try to diminish it in any way; to change a positive into a negative.

The post I wrote acknowledges the national recognition bestowed on the achieving students in the Lancaster Central School District.; the students who put in the extra time, effort and perseverance when enrolling into an AP course. How dare we recognize achievement in a world of entitlement and where every kid gets a trophy.

It is also a tribute to the district for challenging the students and seeing the positive results not only in the increasing AP population but in the overall achievement in making Lancaster one of the top 10 schools in Western New York.

And stop spinning the nonsense that I said the students who did not get a 3 or higher are failures. I commend them for taking AP courses attempting to better prepare themselves for college. They are far from being failures and should not be considered so because they are less proficient than the students recognized by the College Board.

As to your statement that not every student is a scholar, that’s true. But when you say ‘all students deserve the same education’, we are speaking here on education in the same school district where every child is given the same opportunity to excel. Some take the opportunity, some don’t, and some are not capable of excelling. That is life and was just as true in my era.

Lastly, kudos to the teachers who have taken the time and made the effort to make the AP program a success. The focus of this tread should be on recognizing success and not diminishing it.

Thumbs up Kudos to Teachers and students . Whahooo !

OK - heres for you : "Kudos to the teachers who have taken the time and made the effort to make the AP program a success. The focus of this tread should be on recognizing success and not diminishing it"

Is that better - I never injected the word "failure", you did Lee ! You didnt like what I wrote - Fine!

Its the system and how the reported "National" rateing was arrived at - In cluding Canada - how we were rated. Thats what was "Spun" - nothing I stated was spun or made up by me. What I stated was much like what you posted - words from other studies.

Any time I dont blinding support your opinions lately you challenge me ! Fine !

Next time try relateing to what I stated and not your emotional interpretation of what you feel.

I did some research and asked a teacher who does teach AP courses & works closely with the colleges. This educator also writes "letters of recommendations" for the students who are college bound.

Most colleges do not accept the score of a "3" they only accept the "4 & 5" score.

The rankings are only determined by the number of students who are enrolled in AP courses. The score is not the criteria to make the list. Most students are not AP ready but are encouraged to take the course because of the rankings.

As far as what 4248 stated in his posts, he is spot on in some areas. I did not get the impression that he was diminishing the success of this ranking. When posting rankings or scores is pretty basic. All schools encourage the students to take the AP courses, the success is purely on the student & the teacher who facilitates learning.
    Last edited by shortstuff; December 28th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

shortstuff wrote:

I did some research and asked a teacher who does teach AP courses & works closely with the colleges. This educator also writes "letters of recommendations" for the students who are college bound.
    Was your research based on what one teacher had to tell you? Was this teacher from the Western New York area?

Most colleges do not accept the score of a "3" they only accept the "4 & 5" score

What has this to do with the ranking of the College Board, they’re rankings, benchmarking commendations?

The rankings are only determined by the number of students who are enrolled in AP courses. The score is not the criteria to make the list. Most students are not AP ready but are encouraged to take the course because of the rankings.
    Says who? Is this statement attributable to the College Board? Actually, your statement is confusing.

As far as what 4248 stated in his posts, he is spot on in some areas.
    Really, what areas?

I did not get the impression that he (4248) was diminishing the success of this ranking. When posting rankings or scores is pretty basic.
    In post #2 of this thread he mentioned me by name and chose to challenge the recognition Lancaster Central School District received from the College Board because he opined that the ranking system was flawed and the fact that other students who were not recognized as achievers were underserved.

It was a simple report that acknowledged Lancaster’s scholastic improvement over the last decade, the increasing numbers of students enrolling in AP classes, and the benchmarking and recognition of those taking the exams. So because every student didn’t get a trophy that means we shouldn’t continue to recognize those students that excel?

All schools encourage the students to take the AP courses, the success is purely on the student & the teacher who facilitates learning.
    So parents and administrators play no part in facilitating education?

Glad to hear lancasters indoctrination camps..err I mean schools are doing so well brainwashing. Err I mean educating our youth
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Lightbulb My concern is for all students - my concern is gloried studies mask issues

Lee - I suggest you reread post # 2 - I did not name you. You attacked me in post #3 because you didn't like what I posted. You just now in your last post challenged/questioned Shortstuff.

I also stated first : "While this is all good - as usual about 29% of Lancaster High School students are les than prepared for college"

"My concern is and has been for all students - my concern is gloried studies mask the facts that too many students aren't prepared and don't graduate and we still read all these great/glowing some what self serving reports/proclamations"

You did not produce the answers to questions posed and tried to say I called some students "Failures" - that word was first used by you in post #3 - I did not use that word !

Check your self on this one - Heres more of my point/opinions based on College Boards own numbers from their site:

Graduation Rates for First-Time, Full-Time Students: New York

Percentage of first-time, full-time students enrolled in community colleges in fall 2007 in New York who completed a certificate or associate degree, by gender and race/ethnicity

Source: U.S. Department of Education,
    National Center for Education Statistics,
    2010 Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), Spring 2011 (early estimates).

What is Measured?

Percentage of students who completed a degree or certificate in their first institution

Who is Counted?

All first-time, full-time students enrolled in community colleges in fall 2007 in New York

What It Tells Us

Among full-time degree-seeking students who first enrolled in a community college in 2007 in New York, about 20 percent of degree-seeking subbaccalaureate students graduated within 150 percent of normal time. Graduation rates are also shown by gender and race/ethnicity.

Why It's Important

Most beginning community college students intend to earn a certificate or degree, although less than half do so even after six years (Skomsvold, Radford, & Berkner, 2011, tables 1.1-A, 2.0-A).

The IPEDS institutional graduation rate is the most well known indicator of graduation rates and perhaps of all indicators of community college student success overall. Because these statistics are reported annually according to a standard formula, they can be compared over time and across states and individual institutions.

A major limitation of this indicator is that it only counts full-time, first-time students who begin in the fall, but most community college students initially enroll part time (often due to family or work responsibilities) and are not included (Offenstein & Shulock, 2009).

The prevalence of part-time enrollment as well as the high rate of participation in developmental education courses that do not count toward graduation requirements have led to other indicators of community college completion for periods as long as six years.

About this Data

Graduation rates are measured at 150 percent of normal time (the expected time to graduation).

For associate degrees, 150 percent of normal time is three years.

For certificates, 150 percent of normal time is variable and depends on the duration of the program.

For example, 150 percent of normal time for a one-year certificate would be measured at 1.5 years. One limitation of the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) graduation rate is that only first-time, full-time students who begin in the fall are counted, but this group makes up only 39 percent of first-time degree-seeking community college students and excludes students who initially enrolled in a different term, initially enrolled part time, or both (Offenstein & Shulock, 2009). In addition, about one-third of students who are included in the IPEDS rate will enroll part time for at least one term and are not strictly comparable to students who are exclusively enrolled full time (Bailey et al., 2006; Offenstein & Shulock, 2009).

Race/ethnicity: Totals include data for persons whose race/ethnicity was not reported. Race categories exclude persons of Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.

PS - At no time did I stated or imply Teachers aren't giving 110% - They have the hardest job of all - trying to teach under a ever changing Politically correct system - trying to help students while some parents can't even help the student with their home work - all while trying not to bruise little Johnnies ego.

4248 wrote:

Lee - I suggest you reread post # 2 - I did not name you. You attacked me in post #3 because you didn't like what I posted. You just now in your last post challenged/questioned Shortstuff.
    You are correct and I apologize for that error. We are sharing opinions here and to use the term attack is absurd.

I also stated first : "While this is all good - as usual about 29% of Lancaster High School students are les than prepared for college"
    The thread was posted to recognize the significant scholastic improvement our school district has made in the past decade. Within the past five years a program and goal was established to challenge students more and make them more proficient. That has certainly taken place and been exemplified by the district’s ranking in Western New York school districts and in the numer of students enrolling in AP courses.

"My concern is and has been for all students - my concern is gloried studies mask the facts that too many students aren't prepared and don't graduate and we still read all these great/glowing some what self serving reports/proclamations"
    There has always been a percentage of the cohort that will never be prepared for college or will graduate from high school with a Regent’s Diploma. However, we are talking here about Lancaster. Where only 84% of Lancaster students graduated in 2005 receiveing Regent’s Diplomas, 98% of the students graduating in 2013 did. There are now 350 students taking AP courses where but several years the district had difficulty encouraging students to enroll in such courses. The 'no child left behind' act was passed to provide every child an opportunity to get a good education to become successful in life. It did not guarantee succs and where every child would be prepared for college and/or college bound.

Despite all the good things the district has accomplished and when the school proudly displays these achievements you call it self-serving reports/proclamations; really? I took the report at face value; a benchmark report that further indicated Lancaster was headed in the right direction in providing its students an opportunity to succeed.

Lastly all the data you provided was dated and really had nothing to do with the College Board ranking. And, achievement in high school is no guarantee to success in college or life.

http://www.buffalonews.com/news-wire...again-20131228

A must read for those believing state assessments have no value and that teacher autonomy in teaching what they believe is best for the child and how they grade them is best practice.

State testing and benchmarking programs expose student proficiency or lack thereof and the shortcomings of a district’s education system.

You did not produce the answers to questions posed and tried to say I called some students "Failures" - that word was first used by you in post #3 - I did not use that word !

Check your self on this one - Heres more of my point/opinions based on College Boards own numbers from their site:

Graduation Rates for First-Time, Full-Time Students: New York

Percentage of first-time, full-time students enrolled in community colleges in fall 2007 in New York who completed a certificate or associate degree, by gender and race/ethnicity

Source: U.S. Department of Education,
    National Center for Education Statistics,
    2010 Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), Spring 2011 (early estimates).

What is Measured?

Percentage of students who completed a degree or certificate in their first institution

Who is Counted?

All first-time, full-time students enrolled in community colleges in fall 2007 in New York

What It Tells Us

Among full-time degree-seeking students who first enrolled in a community college in 2007 in New York, about 20 percent of degree-seeking subbaccalaureate students graduated within 150 percent of normal time. Graduation rates are also shown by gender and race/ethnicity.

Why It's Important

Most beginning community college students intend to earn a certificate or degree, although less than half do so even after six years (Skomsvold, Radford, & Berkner, 2011, tables 1.1-A, 2.0-A).

The IPEDS institutional graduation rate is the most well known indicator of graduation rates and perhaps of all indicators of community college student success overall. Because these statistics are reported annually according to a standard formula, they can be compared over time and across states and individual institutions.

A major limitation of this indicator is that it only counts full-time, first-time students who begin in the fall, but most community college students initially enroll part time (often due to family or work responsibilities) and are not included (Offenstein & Shulock, 2009).

The prevalence of part-time enrollment as well as the high rate of participation in developmental education courses that do not count toward graduation requirements have led to other indicators of community college completion for periods as long as six years.

About this Data

Graduation rates are measured at 150 percent of normal time (the expected time to graduation).

For associate degrees, 150 percent of normal time is three years.

For certificates, 150 percent of normal time is variable and depends on the duration of the program.

For example, 150 percent of normal time for a one-year certificate would be measured at 1.5 years. One limitation of the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) graduation rate is that only first-time, full-time students who begin in the fall are counted, but this group makes up only 39 percent of first-time degree-seeking community college students and excludes students who initially enrolled in a different term, initially enrolled part time, or both (Offenstein & Shulock, 2009). In addition, about one-third of students who are included in the IPEDS rate will enroll part time for at least one term and are not strictly comparable to students who are exclusively enrolled full time (Bailey et al., 2006; Offenstein & Shulock, 2009).

Race/ethnicity: Totals include data for persons whose race/ethnicity was not reported. Race categories exclude persons of Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.

PS - At no time did I stated or imply Teachers aren't giving 110% - They have the hardest job of all - trying to teach under a ever changing Politically correct system - trying to help students while some parents can't even help the student with their home work - all while trying not to bruise little Johnnies ego.
    Good post 4248

And Lee, these rankings are purely based on how many students took AP courses.

Administrators really are not responsible for this success. The Teachers are the driver in gaining access to these courses and yes the parents are the support unit in these kids entering into Advanced Placement programs.

So what's in the real world with these excellent stats/accomplishments.

What percentage of the students will go into debt to get a loan for unaffordable college education to, then, find out their nation's pulverized monetary and economic systems don't have room for the vast majority of them to move beyond a high school diploma workforce?

How about we interview these students to see what is it that they actually believe in with their future. Taxpayer funded educators with secure employment educating the young to prepare for ... what?

I feel sorry for the kids. Of course their spirits are supposed to be uplifted for their quest of the American Dream. But, that quest that used to be in almost anyone's reach, isn't there anymore.

I believe the kids are being misled. But then again, maybe not, if the educating goal is to accept our ruined systems as par, and fit into it.
    Democrats Against UN Agenda 21 - Democrats Against UN Agenda 21

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information