Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Suggest a new job for me. Please!

Help. Suggest a new job for me. Please!

Okay, I am now laid off from Erie County and the chances of finding myself a job in my previous career are pretty slim. Also, I have to stay in Western New York.

So, to amuse yourselves and myself, feel free to toss out some new career suggestions for me.

I'm listening. And I need all the help I can get.

Feel free to be funny or serious.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What are you qualified to do?

Talking

Originally posted by WNYresident
    What are you qualified to do?
    Uh, perhaps you failed to read this:

Originally posted by Achbek1
    Okay, I am now laid off from Erie County
    This means he is not qualified to do much of anything at all. I suggest you move to Niagara county and suck from their taxpayer teat.

Originally posted by Chris in Parkside
    This means he is not qualified to do much of anything at all. I suggest you move to Niagara county and suck from their taxpayer teat.
    Touche'.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Don't worry. I'm not offended by the comment that government workers are overpaid and are lazy... I think it's funny, I half do and half don't agree with you.. But I still think it's funny.

Also, not that this matters, but I'm not a "he." Although, up until now I have been vague, deliberately vague about my gender. But now, what the heck.

I'm a thirty-something married female.

There.

So, being a thirty something married female who can only work part-time because of family committments, that puts me at an even more difficult crossroad.... It is hard to find part-time work that pays well.

Also, as I and others have lamented before on these boards, the pickin's are pretty slim in the WNY job market right now.

But I am willing to be flexible and willing to be creative. That's why I'm asking for suggestions if anyone feels like giving them. Just don't suggest any kind of Mary Kay or Tupperware thing, I' am not into that.

are you interested in going back to school? ECC has a decent culinary arts program, how about cooking?

or, maybe nursing, child care, school bus driver, all of which can be part time.

Can you give us a little more to go on...What did you do for the County?

Originally posted by Buffy
    are you interested in going back to school? ECC has a decent culinary arts program, how about cooking?
    Thanks, Buffy. The ironic thing is that I have such massive amounts of student loans to pay off already so I can't really enroll in anything that requires tuition right now. But I have been taking all of the free job or computer training classes available through the Workforce Development groups.

I do have to say, I was one of those stupid college kids who wasted their schooling taking useless stuff like philosophy and romantic literature and stuff like that. Then I went to graduate school for something very specific but not practical to as many lines of work. I wish I could go back in time... I would have just got a straight business degree or studied something computer or health related.

The sad fact is there are so many people out there with degrees in the "humanities" that have a hard time finding work or making their "humanities" education work for them. I want to yell at every 18 year old who I see say they are going to take Art History or Philosophy in college. NO! DON'T DO IT! You can't go wrong with something business or health related.

Heck, my cousin never even went to college and is a self-taught computer genius. He was making over 80 grand a year. Now he's making even more than that, LOTS MORE, at another company.

Originally posted by therising

Can you give us a little more to go on...What did you do for the County?
    I don't want to be too specific because I don't want to give away too many details. But it was a white collar, social science and research related position.

And, as I have mentioned before, I have talked to other laid off County employees who were willing to be flexible or go through retraining if they had to. Like the one laid off social worker I met who said she would get a CDL and drive a bus if she had to.

since I told them I'd do this when talking to people looking for work, check with Adecco
    They got me a temp part time position that quickly ebcome full time and then a few weeks later become permanent
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

moonshine
    I've got jobs...

General laborer. Must enjoy drywall, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, paint, power tools, bad jokes, and bad music. Hours are flexible.

Compensation: $10 per hour, off the books.
    Benefits: Free Beer, and any other substances being used that day. Smoke breaks must be itemized for tax purposes.

The successful candidate will have a firm grasp of the obvious, and a reliable vehicle for beer runs. Workman's compensation is not paid. If you get hurt I'll call the cops and report you as a trespasser/burglar.

Liberals and Neo-Cons need not apply. Non-EEOP.

Originally posted by Chris in Parkside
    Chris - That's the first time I took you to be a jerk.
    No need to be nasty when someone's asking a very sincere question.

You can get a job telemarketing if you have the following:

I.D.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Re: Help. Suggest a new job for me. Please!

Originally posted by Achbek1
    Okay, I am now laid off from Erie County and the chances of finding myself a job in my previous career are pretty slim. Also, I have to stay in Western New York.

So, to amuse yourselves and myself, feel free to toss out some new career suggestions for me.

I'm listening. And I need all the help I can get.

Feel free to be funny or serious.

I suggest these options :

1. Look at the market and the types of jobs that are growing in the country.

2. Return to school and back yourself up with new knowledge in todays market.

3. Don't make excusses while looking for a new job.

4. Think about starting your own business or become a partner in someone elses new business venture.

5. Learn to sell yourself in this competitive market of today.

6. Write up 3 different resumes' stating different job options you can perform.

7. Its best to go back to school may be becoming a realitor, 2 yr program and state bars humm...you can do this my one neice is doing this and she is 40 yrs old.....

Its a real hard time finding the job you want or would like to have..you can also try Banking industry. You will have to lower your standards. you can say, hey I use to make 40,000 per yr and I wont take less then this....lower your standards a bit...you may have to work more then one part-time job or may be 3 part-time jobs to make the money...In the end, relocation may be forced on you in the long run.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Any interest in working with the elderly? Our senior population is expanding rapidly and facilities are always looking for reliable individuals to fill a variety of positions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information