Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of a liberal

Definition of a liberal

I decided to repost this because people are putting words in my mouth about what I think about liberals. In fact, I used the word "left" in a specific context, referring to the kinds of people who lie about tea party supporters andf their brethren.

From my blog:

Definition of a Liberal
    Written by James Ostrowski on February 25, 2006 – 11:05 am -

A person who thinks that we can improve society by pointing government guns at people who are minding their own business. Corollary: In so doing, liberals somehow manage to feel morally and intellectual superior to the victims of their legalized violence.

Example, as reported in the News today, the limousine liberals want to make it illegal for landlords to consider the wealth of their potential tenants. This would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic. That’s what you do when you’re a good landlord–you find out if your tenants can pay the darn rent!

Landlords have to be extremely careful about who they rent to, among other reasons, because liberals have made it fairly difficult to evict bad tenants.

If liberals want to make “housing opportunities more equal,” nothing is stopping them from pooling their vast resources and buying rental property for all those who they feel are being discriminated against.

I love beating up on limousine liberals. In this article, I define that species of the genus liberal as follows:

Limousine liberals are wealthy people, usually white, who usually live in wealthy white neighborhoods, but who insist on telling the poor, minorities and the working class how to live and with whom to live. Limousine liberals or their forebearers brought us the war on drugs (million man march to prison), urban renewal (people removal), public housing (resembling prisons), the Vietnam War (mass murder), and government schools – also resembling prisons – most of them wouldn’t think of sending their children to.

Limousine liberals are elitists who think that common folk are just too stupid to live in freedom. Though their rhetoric emphasizes their deep concern and compassion for the common man, their true feeling is one of contempt for his ability to function without continual external direction from “the best and the brightest.”

So they support centralizing power in distant capitals and glorify those like Lincoln who made it all possible. (See, Mario Cuomo’s new book.) With education, centralizing power in state capitals was not enough. They had to set up a Department of Education in Washington, so the ultra-elites can issue orders to the mid-level elites. And they call me “arrogant”!

Let me just add that my use of the word “liberal” is strictly limited to its modern American meaning. In other times and places, the word was and is used to describe people who believe in individual liberty. Not here, not now.

Some quotes:

"A conservative is a man who sits and thinks. Mostly sits." Woodrow Wilson

"What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried?" Abraham Lincoln

"The conservative is a tame man." Henry David Thoreau

A liberal says, "No man is an island; no man stands alone." A conservative says, "What I do is none of your business."

A definition I once heard involved a tree with a rotten limb. The conservative wants to wait and see if the tree will heal itself. The liberal wants to saw off the limb. The radical wants to chop down the tree and plant a new one.

"A conservative is a man who is too cowardly to fight, and too fat to run." Elbert Hubbard

"Both conservatives and liberals have their own pet spending areas. Conservatives want much smaller government in the areas liberals favor, but vastly larger government in their own pet areas. Liberals would just as soon have smaller government in the areas conservatives favor, but vastly larger government in their own pet areas."

Do you agree with my definition (more a description actually) of a liberal?

justKel
    Limousine liberals are wealthy people, usually white, who usually live in wealthy white neighborhoods, but who insist on telling the poor, minorities and the working class how to live and with whom to live. Limousine liberals or their forebearers brought us the war on drugs (million man march to prison), urban renewal (people removal), public housing (resembling prisons), the Vietnam War (mass murder), and government schools – also resembling prisons – most of them wouldn’t think of sending their children to.

Limousine liberals are elitists who think that common folk are just too stupid to live in freedom. Though their rhetoric emphasizes their deep concern and compassion for the common man, their true feeling is one of contempt for his ability to function without continual external direction from “the best and the brightest.”
    Congratulations. You've just completely redefined the definition of the word liberal. Really, are you this willfully ignorant? I don't care if you're an attorney or not. Some of the most educated people I've ever met are also the most ignorant.

but who insist on telling the poor, minorities and the working class how to live and with whom to live.
    Um yeah... That would be a conservative. You know, the people who for years said that blacks shouldn't marry whites, and who currently say that people of the same gender shouldn't marry?

Limousine liberals are elitists who think that common folk are just too stupid to live in freedom.
    Really? Again, that would be a conservative. They started, for example, the abject failure called the war on drugs, which fledged under Nixon (a Republican) and pushed into law by Reagan (another -- gasp! -- Republican).

Conservatives are the ones who object to personal freedoms such as abortion, the right to marry whomever you choose, and even what religion you choose.

Sorry, but you really have no f'ing clue what a liberal is. Redefine the word all you want, this is nothing more than an attempt to push the blame of anything perceived to be negative in this country on liberals. Really pathetic, and I'm not liberal on many issues (though I am on the things which you address in this little gem of an article you wrote regarding personal liberties).

Seriously, any credibility you have is fading fast with each new post. And you know what the crazy part about this is? The area in which I am more conservative is with fiscal policies and taxation. But I won't follow you and your little tea parties because you are an arrogant prick and talk out of both sides of your mouth.

I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.
    I am not a conservative.

I just said this is more a description than a strict definition, so yes, some of these things may be said about conservatives.

I am always happy to bash conservatives and have been doing so for 30 years!

This thread though is focused on liberals. Is what I said true about liberals? If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by justKel View Post

Um yeah... That would be a conservative. You know, the people who for years said that blacks shouldn't marry whites, and who currently say that people of the same gender shouldn't marry?

Really? Again, that would be a conservative. They started, for example, the abject failure called the war on drugs, which fledged under Nixon (a Republican) and pushed into law by Reagan (another -- gasp! -- Republican).
    So what then do you call people like Al Gore, who tells us we should get rid of oil, but fly's around on a private jet?
    What do you call ted Kennedy (beside a killler), who is one of the biggest pushers of nationalized healthcare, but WOULD NEVER BE A PART OF IT?
    What do you call Obama who make 2.6 MILLION last year and tells us we will all have to suffer? Then tops it off by have a cabinet FULL of millionaires? And better yet tried to hiring 6 TAX CHEATS? Doesn't that say to you were above the law? It's goes both ways hunny!!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

My definition of a liberal is simple, one who would prefer to have the govt solve a or their problems then trying to do it on your own!

OMG! This lady (as I recall) doesn't know I am one of the leading critics of the war on drugs, the leading critic according to Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=drug+legalization

It's the old two-cell ideological prison of American politics. The key to your cell in in your own pocket.

BTW, liberals (progressives) invented the war on drugs.

The libertarian view of marriage is that the state should have little or nothing to do with it.

Here's my critique of the ruling alliance of liberals and conservatives.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/ostrowski/ostrowski23.html

justKel
    Jim, If you recall, I was a registered Libertarian until about two months ago. There's a lot of libertarian ideals I fully and completely agree with; mainly in the area (once again) of personal liberties.

Areas in which I am more liberal in my thinking:

A) Business. I don't think businesses should be so deregulated that they are allowed to walk all over employees, pollute freely, and use deceptive marketing practices. This is where Rez and I completely part company because he has this dreamy yet completely unrealistic idea that every business owner is as honest and fair in their business practices as he is.

B) Protections for classes of people; non-discrimination policies. As a minority who is thankful to be protected under non-discrimination laws, I don't want to see those laws eliminated.

C) Welfare. While I think 90% of it could and should be eliminated, I think there has to be some form of welfare. The solution isn't as simple as just eliminating benefits either, because we've created a huge problem for ourselves by making people who could be productive, dependent on it. Good luck changing that overnight. Eliminate welfare altogether and working class, law abiding people will be too afraid to leave their own homes to be able to go to work...

There you go. Now you know where I stand.

Help I am having an identity crisis,

I want less taxing and spending by this state, less punishing of small businesses, less welfare, less government, less borrowing, less entitlement, less representation,, 400 elected leaders for WNY, get rid of state mandates, stop the abuse of overtime for pension padding.

I am for a strong national defense but oppose the wars.

I think the war on drugs is and abject failure, marijuanna should be legalized, same sex marraige is fine, severe punishment to corporate criminals, fire public servants including teachers that do not perform, no pensions for public servants that violate the public trust. Benchmark our government against others that have done it right and consolidated.

What am I ?

I think you are leaning strongly libertarian.

Believe it or not, even libertarians disagree on issues such as immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    I think you are leaning strongly libertarian.

Believe it or not, even libertarians disagree on issues such as immigration.
    cool, so be it,

I do not agree with giving amnesty and benefits to illegals

If you and Kel are both libertarians how come you both appear to be so far apart?

also, what is your opinion of the modern Whig party?

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    cool, so be it,

I do not agree with giving amnesty and benefits to illegals

If you and Kel are both libertarians how come you both appear to be so far apart?

also, what is your opinion of the modern Whig party?
    See this is the problem with our current political system, the NAMES. Both the media and the extreme wingers feel that everyone has to fit into some political party. that is you believe in XYZ you have to be a republican or if you believe in ABC your a liberal. But let's be honest their are a HUGE number of people that believe in AXYC and don't fit into the extreme mold.

I for one don't believe in abortion, but I also believe women have the right to chose what happens with their body, this fits into neither of the 2 main parties.

I think we need to get over the parties names and affiliations, it has only driven a bigger wedge in this nation. We need to start focusing on ACTION and not rehteric. I don't agree with everything JO talks about, but he has a plan for action and not just talk, so he will be some that i will listen to and help his cause (with some sceptisism (sp)) when i can!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information