Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas my Friends

Merry Christmas my Friends

I got a chance to see Bill O'Reily's Talking Points segment of Fox News last night. His commentary was about replacing the political correctness of the phrase "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays" when the day is marked on the calendar as Christmas.

While I am a supporter of other cultures and customs like Kwanzaa and Hanukah, I think he is right though. Christmas is celebrated by 90% of the American population and yet people can not wish another "Merry Christmas" when December 25th is marked as Christmas, as with other months of Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Easter, Flag Day, Independence Day, President's Day, ect.

The "Happy Holidays" political correntness is taking Christmas out of a holiday spirit that is known as Christmas Day.

So, Merry Christmas my Friends.

So you and Bill say "Happy Holidays" from the day after Thanksgiving to Dec 24th, and then "Merry Christmas" only on the 25th? There's no big shaded block of days that says "Christmas" all through December.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

This is just another item in a long list of examples of political correctness gone awry. It has nothing to do with what the calendar says, it's this inane philosophy that everything must be non-offensive to everybody. It's sad that we cater to the easily offended minority all the time.

Arrow ..and a partridge...

Originally posted by crlachepinochet
    So you and Bill say "Happy Holidays" from the day after Thanksgiving to Dec 24th, and then "Merry Christmas" only on the 25th? There's no big shaded block of days that says "Christmas" all through December.

But there are the 12 days of Christmas. That's almost half the month.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

This is just another item in a long list of examples of political correctness gone awry.
    In most areas I support political correctness, IE- African American compared to black, mentally challenged over retarted, etc. Some aspects are on a respecting level, however I have to agree with O'Reily on this one.... which I hardly ever do.

I always thought people said Happy Holidays because this time of year is so packed with them. Some official Holidays and some religious.

Thanks Giving
    Chistmas
    Xmas
    NewYears Day
    New Years Eve
    Hanukah
    Chistmas Eve
    Holloween
    My Birthday
    Boxing Day
    Black Thursday
    Black Tuesday (oops thats not a good one)
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

I think O'Reily has been sipping too much eggnog. I've never heard of anyone criticized for saying "Merry Christmas. Sounds like a neocon plot to deflect the spotlight away from "W".
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Originally posted by DelawareDistrict
    I think O'Reily has been sipping too much eggnog. I've never heard of anyone criticized for saying "Merry Christmas. Sounds like a neocon plot to deflect the spotlight away from "W".
    You're right.

O'eiley gets pissed because the sales clerks at Macy's have been instructed to say "Happy Holidays", instead of "Merry Christmas".

Guess what folks? The entire country is not Christian!!
    Absolutely no one will criticize you for wishing someone you know a Merry Christmas. But, if 10% of the population does NOT celebrate Christmas, why do we have to make the assumption that it's wrong NOT to wish EVERYONE a Merry Christmas??

The Religous Right wants to scare you, and they're succeeding.

BTW, Merry Christmas Night Owl!

Hate to say it...

Wedge Issue...
    actually, a non-issue.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Absolutely no one will criticize you for wishing someone you know a Merry Christmas.
    Have you ever worked in sales, customer service/relations?

I have and yes, people do get really mad over it. People will buy all "Christmas" items and then assume someone will say "happy holidays" (instead of Merry Christmas) when handing them their bags of merchandise. So, from personal exprience, I can agree with O'Reily... which I seldom ever do. Perhaps this is the reason I can't stand when people say "Xmas".

Oh, thanks therising, and Merry Christmas to you too.

I have been in Restaurant and Retail management for over 25 years and have yet to have a customer get upset because I wished them a "Merry Christmas".
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

I never know what to say to Asians during that week or so around Christmas.

I pick up my dry cleaning, or Chinese Food, or go to Tae Kwon Do, and they say Merry Christmas - Do I say "Merry Christmas to you as well", or do I assume they're not Christian and just say Thank You.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    over two decades in business and not once has anyone seemed offended from a Merry Xmas..

Never...

Sometimes I think people just make that crap up.

Unregistered
    I agree with Night Owl.

This isn't some plot to deflect the spotlight away from "W". This has been going on at least 20 years.

Living downstate I can remember local towns and villages fighting to keep the Nativity scene outside Town Hall, something they've done for many years. The Menorah was also displayed. It was the ACLU, and in this case, it's NY chapter the NYCLU, who made a stink about it. The residents weren't complaining.

I go downstate now and everywhere you'll see the Star of David and Menorrahs displayed outside Town Hall, in banks, in Courthouses, etc. NOWHERE will you find the Nativity Scene or other symbols of Christmas. Oh yea, there may be a lit tree in the center of town, usually on an island in the middle of the street. It's now called the "Holiday Tree"

Schools have banned all symbols of Christmas. But they still allow symbols of Chanukah, Kwanza, Ramadan and whatever other holiday out there.

I've never complained when I saw a menorrah, or a symbol representing Kwanza. Yet, it upsets me that these holidays are allowed to be celebrated in the public square, but Christmas is banned. Why is that?? I dont celebrate Chanukah or Kwanza.

In the politically correct world, If the Christmas Tree will be reduced to a Holiday Tree, then the Menorrah should be recognized as nothing but a candelabra.

Before anyone attacks me, I am not Anti-semetic and I respect the Jewish faith. It would be nice to get that same respect for my faith from others.
    Last edited by Ragin; November 30th, 2005 at 01:10 AM.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by therising
    I never know what to say to Asians during that week or so around Christmas.

I pick up my dry cleaning, or Chinese Food, or go to Tae Kwon Do, and they say Merry Christmas - Do I say "Merry Christmas to you as well", or do I assume they're not Christian and just say Thank You.
    If they say Merry Christmas to you, you owe them the same courtesy and reply "Merry Christmas to you, too" with a smile

They made the effort to offer you a greeting. I hardly think anyone would be offended when you respond with the same kindness they showed you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information