Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge Says Tapes of Cheektowaga Teachers Can Be Heard

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Judge Says Tapes of Cheektowaga Teachers Can Be Heard

Judge Says Tapes of Cheektowaga Teachers Can Be Heard

HEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. - The story starts with Dontre Jones, who is behind bars and has been convicted of shooting and killing Ira Watkins at the Cheektowaga Town Park in May of 2011.

Authorities say that three Cheektowaga High teachers, currently on paid leave had inappropriate phone conversations with Jones, while he was awaiting trial in the Erie County Holding Center.

For months, the attorneys for one of the teachers have been fighting to get all materials related to the case sealed, including the recorded phone calls, because there was nothing criminal about the conversations.

But, a state Supreme Court judge in Erie County has ruled that the tapes can be released, opening the door for the public to hear the conversations the teachers had with Jones.
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/229...s-Can-Be-Heard

So how do we hear these tapes?

Probably a tape player?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Zack and the Town no longer have a basis for denying the FOIL filed by WGRZ, unless the judge issues a stay of his order pending appeal.

I hope I never make the mistake of tying the noose while trying to defend my clients:

If the recordings are released, Morgan says the character of the teachers could be destroyed and they could be disciplined by the school district.
    Why would that be true? Because the conversations are "disgusting" and "mind-blowing" as described by Zack?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why would that be true? Because the conversations are "disgusting" and "mind-blowing" as described by Zack?
    If someone from the town can get me the digital recordings I'll post them up. Right next to hand sanitizer thread.

500,000 people in the WNY area... 10% listen...

That's 50,000 in traffic. Gee res, I hope your advisors are better than obama's.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder when we are going to be able to hear these teachers tapes...

Anyone know who currently has them? I would be more than willing to put the audio up on youtube before elections.

I would think WGRZ would have a 3-day breaking news story once it gets them.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Any lawyers here that can give some advice?

I've been told basically what was said on the tapes...

I don't want to post it up and get sued truth or not...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Any lawyers here that can give some advice?

I've been told basically what was said on the tapes...

I don't want to post it up and get sued truth or not...
    Not a lawyer but I would not risk it if I were you. If you're hearing about it..it's only a matter of time before it becomes public.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder what the school board and our town board is waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I wonder what the school board and our town board is waiting for.
    They're hoping people stop talking about it and forget.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Previously...

Despite Promise, Police Withhold Audio Recording of Teachers and Killer

10:47 PM, Aug 23, 2013

Zack said police are outraged by what the teachers said to the student on the tape.
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/223...ers-and-Killer

What are they waiting for?

Zack said his department alerted the district attorney and the school district. The D.A. did not charge the teachers with a crime, but the school district put them on paid leave. Thursday, an angry Cheektowaga police chief was about to play the recordings for the media, when, he says, the town was threatened with a civil lawsuit if it were to play the messages or even disclose the identity of the teachers.
    So are the property owners of our town still paying the teachers to sit at home?

"At this time, under the advice of counsel, we have no choice but to withhold information we believe the public has a right to know," Zack said. "Town attorneys are now researching the matter, and now assessing any liability we may be exposed to. I can assure the public that we are not intimidated. We are now more determined than ever to make sure the public learns what went on a Cheektowaga Central. When we are certain of what we can legally release, we will do so promptly."

Well, we could guess at what thy said on the tapes. It would have to be something that might interfere with the prosecution of Jones but not be a crime.

Perhaps telling Jones to take the 5th - but that would not be "disgusting" - it would be good advice.

Perhaps telling Jones to lie - but that might be a crime.

Perhaps telling Jones the name of the fellow student that identified him - that would not be a crime but could be viewed as disgusting and mind-blowing for a teacher to be giving a person charged with killing the name of a witness who is also a student in the school.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

Perhaps telling Jones the name of the fellow student that identified him - that would not be a crime but could be viewed as disgusting and mind-blowing for a teacher to be giving a person charged with killing the name of a witness who is also a student in the school.
    Yikes, What if identifying the fellow student caused that student to be harmed, what then, could the teacher be charged as an accessory?

In any event, it seems the jailed student holds some clout at Cheektowaga Central. Shouldn't teachers encourage police cooperation as opposed to caving to a JV's rants, raves and threats! Who's in charge over there?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder what they are waiting for. If the Police Station has the digital recordings I can have them up on youtube.com in 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information